I smell leather

by statia on February 16, 2012

Let it be said that I lasted seven months without cable.  I technically could treat myself to a handbag with all of the money we saved from not paying for cable for that long, but I probably won’t be that frivolous.  Mainly because I’ll be too busy cracking out on all of the crap TV that missed.

I can say I did live without cable, and I know that I can.  But never again, do I actually want to do something as stupid as this stint.  It rates right up there with not having a dishwasher.  Both are pretty much like living in a third world country.  And if I ever say something like, “we’re going to get rid of our toilets and have privies in our back yard,”  please beat me over the head.

river February 16, 2012 at 11:41 pm

I live without cable, but then I always have, so I don’t miss it. I have plenty of dvds instead.

statia February 17, 2012 at 8:38 am

I think having had it my whole life, I’m so used to having it on as background noise. The sweet sweet whisper of HGTV in the background is music to my ears.

Veronica February 17, 2012 at 5:20 am

I have no cable, nor do I have a dishwasher. Yes, pity me and my household.

(I would kill for a dishwasher that didn’t request headjobs as payment.)

Tommie February 17, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Like everyone else, we don’t have cable either, but again, I’m one of those poor sad souls who has never had cable so we don’t miss it…much.

My mom has cable, so my daugthers know what they’re missing and so we hear about it every so often. But if we did have cable? I’d never let it be changed from HGTV. My husband knows this and this is probably why he’s the last hold out for not getting cable.

No dishwasher though? Egads!! The horror.

statia February 17, 2012 at 9:20 pm

I seriously have had cable my whole life, and up until the Sopranos went off the air, I had HBO. Like, seriously have had it since birth. But that was when HBO was actually decent.

huy February 17, 2012 at 5:03 pm

7 months? I can’t even go 7 days.

Old School/New School Mom February 24, 2012 at 12:12 pm

I love cable! And I will beat you over the head ;-D

Wombat Central February 25, 2012 at 11:58 am

We have the poor man’s most basic of basic cable options, and we are pretty happy with it. Though I will admit that I wouldn’t mind having the sweet hum of HGTV on in the background showing me all that my home is NOT. ;)

We stream Netflix in a attempt to make up for all the channels we don’t get. We figure we would become slaves to the TV if there were a ton of channels.

Oh, also? We’re cheap. But I’d secretly like to be able to see Toddlers and Tiaras just so I could yell at the moms through my screen.

sheilah February 26, 2012 at 8:33 pm

We have had a few years where the jobs have been scarce and money more scarce. The first thing to go was cable TV (try to take my internet though and I WILL cut you). And so, we have been without cable for a couple of years. I miss HGTV, Discovery Channel, History Channel, the evening news and football. We stream Netflix and some things I watch on the computer. I keep thinking I would like to get it back but still fear the no money, no food, no electricity, etc.