Cable Free

by statia on July 19, 2011

For months now, the hubs has been bugging me to ditch cable.  We rarely watch TV.  Well, ok, we have the TV on nightly.  But we rarely watch it.  One of the following things is on:  Family Guy, Tosh.0 or DIY/HGTV.  Here’s the sad thing; We own every single season of Family Guy on DVD, right under our TV, yet we’ll watch the reruns with commercials and everything, like savages!  Tosh, sadly is my only link to “current events” and I use that term loosely, because I don’t watch the news.  Tosh, you must be so proud.

So that leaves HGTV and DIY network.  I didn’t want to give it up, because I’m hopeless junkie of these two channels.   But after years of watching the same shows over and over, I’ve finally decided it’s not worth the $90 a month.   The hubs mentioned that Apple TV’s new generation was out, and after already owning one for the first floor, we’ve purchased a second one and are going to stream them.  The kids watch three or four shows, and we can download a couple of seasons, for less than a month of what I pay for cable.   I can rent movies, buy movies, and we also have Netflix streaming.  We both loathe reality shows, and sports. Keeping cable for basically watching commercials just seems dumb.

I’ll admit, I’m still feeling a little sweaty over this.  I’ve had cable since I was four, which is nearly my whole life at this point.   It’s like the time I lived in an apartment without a dishwasher.  I file that under barbaric conditions.   The hubs has lived without cable, including prior to me living with him.

I give myself five months tops.   $90×5=$450.   That’s the price of a decent handbag.  Or more home projects.  Either way, if I can make it that long, I’m treating myself to something nice.

girlfiend July 19, 2011 at 9:41 pm

We ditched cable 4 years ago. With Netflix, PBS kids, digital network, my friend who illegally downloads entire seasons of shows at a time for us, and the internet we don’t need it. I thought it would be a rough transition, but I haven’t regretted it once. I just accept that I will always be a season behind on most of the series I like.

Solonor July 19, 2011 at 10:05 pm

We’ve been cable-free for a couple of weeks now. Got an AppleTV specifically for renting shows I couldn’t find any other way to see without waiting for them to come on DVD (i.e., Doctor Who) and run everything else through the Xbox 360 using Hulu Plus, Netflix and PlayOn. So far, not only have we not missed anything, we’ve watched a series we wouldn’t have thought about but love (Misfits) and are almost caught up on 5 years of 30 Rock (which I have no idea how I missed watching in the past). Still, I understand the nerves. I was born watching TV and haven’t been without it for most of 49 years…seems a little weird to have to decide what to watch instead of sucking up whatever the cable feeds me. Plus, there are a lot more silent moments around here with no TV that’s just on for background noise. I might have to start listening to music again.

Betsy July 20, 2011 at 5:58 am

We’ve been cable free for 5 years now. Don’t miss it in the slightest. We have Netflix and a projector that hooks up to our laptops. Most shows can be found online now anyway and netflix has tons of stuff to stream for the kiddo.

jesser July 20, 2011 at 10:28 am

I keep toying with this idea. It makes most sense in the summer – I don’t think I’ve watched anything off cable in over a month. We don’t have the TV on in the evenings as a rule since the kids get TV at their sitter’s house, so I pretty much watch it when I run on the treadmill and lately that’s been all Netflixed. But in the fall when the new stuff shows up like Biggest Loser or Make it or Break It, I worry about missing it. I should investigate what’s available on Hulu. Tivo is just so … easy … though.

Jillian July 20, 2011 at 11:55 am
Solonor July 20, 2011 at 1:40 pm

One of the PlayOn mods takes that HGTV site and streams the video. Which, as an added bonus, can be watched on your Android or iPhone device, too.

Katie July 23, 2011 at 12:23 am

I gave up cable a few months ago… and don’t even miss it! I still have “basic” cable, plus my fast cable internet, and land line. But I’m saving around $50 bucks a month.

Every time I go to my parents or boyfriends… I flip through the channels to see what’s on. Every time, I realize I don’t miss it! :)

I think I’m the only 30 year old with a land line though but I use a cap tel phone because I’m deaf. So that’s okay. :)

I gave up my Verizon cell phone too. It’s pretty awesome to go shopping now and not be bugged by txts every 5 mins. :)

Orodemniades July 24, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Hulu is great…but if Apple buys it, it will probably go all pay instead of just Hulu Plus. And, y’know, there’s always torrents…which, to be honest, can be a pain in the ass (particularly for spoilers) but do offer an alternative. There are also programs that will allow you to watch stuff like the BBC for free (just ask!).

PiquantMolly July 27, 2011 at 12:06 pm

We’re down to basic cable with Netflix streaming through our Wii now. I really miss HBO and BBC America, but other than that I am doing remarkably well. Plus: they just added Mad Men to streaming! Score.

Meredith August 2, 2011 at 9:46 pm

You’re a saint. That is all.