More of my summer vacation…. rehab style.

by statia on June 29, 2011

Meanwhile, back at the ranch,  while I was in the midst of redoing our bedroom,  I was keeping myself occupied with one of my first furniture redos.

I had been searching forever for a buffet/server for my family room.  Something to hold our bevy of remote controls, and all of the kids art stuff, and I wanted something that would give our very straight lined, monochrome, plain family room, some pop.   I finally something perfect:

It was a mess, but I had a vision.   I had a dream!

Originally, before I took it home, I had intended to just sand it down a bit, and then put a fresh coat of paint on it, and paint the legs a different color.   But when I looked closer, I realized that it had been painted a couple of times, and it was going to need a complete stripping.  I figured, if that was the case, I was going to do it right:

Can I just tell you that stripping these legs was a total nightmare?   I stripped, I sanded.  I scraped.  I sanded.   I chiseled.  I sanded some more.

And after a month of all of the sanding (seriously, I’ve spent the last two months sanding), I started the fun part; making it look awesome:

I went with a matte Benjamin Moore Regal paint, along with a matte varnish.  The top, I stained and the hubs put a sealant on it, and buffed it with a satin varnish.   I left the legs looking a little more rustic.   Mind all of the electronic equipment under there.  I’m still looking for a place to put that and hide all the wires.

I love it way more than I could have imagined.

river June 30, 2011 at 5:14 am

It looks so very awesome!!
Well done!

Shelly June 30, 2011 at 8:04 am

I had no idea you were such a Homemaking Marvel! You do it all! You’re putting me to shame!!

I am impressed. What’s next?

statia June 30, 2011 at 10:10 am

I’m currently restaining the banister a darker shade. I might replace the spindles, we’ll see. That’s an easy (easier, anyway) than the buffet, but it’s all part of my grand plan. To become a DIY master. After that, it’s operation basement.

Lisa June 30, 2011 at 8:15 am

That looks fantastic!

travis June 30, 2011 at 9:32 am

awesome job – it looks amazing

Melissa June 30, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Could you please come rehab my home? I will totally keep your kids and send you on a nice vaca for 2! You have an awesome talent!!

Tommie July 1, 2011 at 12:46 pm

You are inspiring me to get busy on my house. We’ve lived there going on nine months and it’s about time for me to get back to work making it our home. Love what you did with that buffet.

Britta July 1, 2011 at 10:01 pm

It looks great! I like the idea of changing she finishes on it as well! Just a little tip for your next stripping project…apply the stripper, cover it up with plastic wrap (push it onto the stripper so there are no bubbles) that keeps it moist and the stripper can work better, let it sit for a while (even a little longer than the directions say) and the use a power washer to get all that junk off. It won´t hurt the wood to get wet. Just let it dry for a day then and you´ll only have to sand it once and it´s done!

statia July 2, 2011 at 9:08 am

Oooh that’s a good idea. I was really afraid to use a power washer on it though, because it was an old piece and some of the wood was compromised. But the wrapping is an awesome tip, thanks!

Lisa in NJ July 6, 2011 at 12:44 pm

WOW that is SOOOO nice. I wish I could do something like that. The colors are awesome

IssaB July 7, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Love the red!! Is Regal the name of the color?? I just have to know

Korrie@RedHenHome July 7, 2011 at 8:49 pm

WOW! Somehow you’ve made this old piece look very fresh and modern. Love it!

statia July 7, 2011 at 8:51 pm

Issa, no, Regal is one of the lines of their paint (such as Aura, which is my FAVORITE, etc). This was Hot Apple Spice in Matte. I loved the color so much, and I had so much left over (and I only bought a quart) that I repainted the steps leading in my house from the garage.

IssaB July 7, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Thanks so much for the info, you did a beautiful job!

statia July 7, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Thank you. It was such a labor of love, and I love that people love it as much as I do. :o )

Kelly@TearingUpHouses July 7, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Do you mind sharing where you found your hardware? I’ve been on the hunt for similar pieces for a tall dresser of mine…

statia July 7, 2011 at 10:33 pm

I found the hardware at knobbery.com It took forever, because I’m so picky, but they have a really large selection of really cool stuff. You might also want to try flea markets. Some good ones that have vintage and old furniture, have buckets of hardware.

mab July 7, 2011 at 10:07 pm

This is absolutely AWESOME! I was looking at my poor, dinged up, scratched up, nast-o coffee table today & wanting to do something with it. Now I think I’ll paint it. Thanks for the inspiration!

statia July 7, 2011 at 10:33 pm

Go for it, but I won’t be blamed for your addiction. :o )

Reenie July 8, 2011 at 9:17 am

~ here from Better After……..WOW! I love it ~ that turned out beautiful.

Sharon July 8, 2011 at 12:08 pm

I love the color and I really love that you didn’t distress it. I don’t understand how someone cans spend hour making something look pretty and then distress it to make look old and beat up again

statia July 8, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Sharon, I totally struggle with the distressed look. It’s cool, if that’s the look you’re going for, but it’s not the look of my house at all. In fact, my house is very straight lined contemporary, and I love LOVE Mid Century Modern and Danish Modern, but it doesn’t go with my newish 10ish year old colonial look house, so I keep it pretty straight lined. I think rustic has its place, but I can’t get into it for my own house. I love rehabbing old stuff, but I can’t make it look beat up. No offense that those that do, because it can look absolutely fantastic in the right setting. My house just isn’t that setting.

Betsy Derr July 8, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Here from BeforeAfter. Nice work. I just wanted to tell you that one of the kindest and most gracious women I’ve known in my lifetime was named Statia, too. I’m glad the name has grown on you.

statia July 8, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Awww, thanks. :o ) Maybe it was my Grandma? I was named after her, but she died in the 50′s.

Shelly July 8, 2011 at 4:28 pm

I love it too, it is fantastic!

Vicki July 8, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Gorgeous! The colors are perfect and the hardware brings such elegance to the piece. Great job!

Debra July 11, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Ok… I couldn’t believe how pretty your piece is with those new colors… almost looks “designer”. :-)

Debra

Trudi July 12, 2011 at 2:41 am

What’s the stain colour you used on the top? I love the combination of the dark top and apple spice front. Looks great

statia July 15, 2011 at 9:02 pm

It was minwax, and I believe the color was walnut? I’ll have to go out to the garage and look, but I’m almost positive that’s what it was.

Trudi Johnson July 18, 2011 at 12:13 pm

I really love this colour combination! I’ve been trying to decide how to do my dad’s old desk. I’m going to try to do something similar to what you’ve done. I’ll send you pictures when I’m done. Thanks for sharing!