Wiping my child’s nose with my shirt, pretty much sums up my life these days.

by statia on April 25, 2011

Oh HI!  Remember me?   I wrote here just shy of a month ago?  Let’s sum up the last month:

We’re now on our NINTH ear infection, and I’m currently waiting for our next appointment with LG’s ENT, so that I can punch him in the taint.  Because this whole “let’s wait and see what happens over the spring and summer months” attitude clearly isn’t working out for us.   I don’t want to jump the gun and rush into tubes or anything.  Nine ear infections must not be considered enough, even though my daughter has started asking for full sized sippy cups of zithromax.

A couple of weeks ago, was the big trip to Disney World.  We drove. I’m not sure there is a gross exaggeration big enough to describe how that trip was.  Honestly, on the way down, it wasn’t that bad.  We left at bedtime for the ride down, and did the whole thing over night.  This doesn’t bode well for a good night’s sleep for the kids, especially one who was recovering from ear infection #8, and upon discovery, in a rest stop bathroom, also pink eye (I just went ahead and packed the drops for that possible situation).   We all survived and arrived in one piece, thanks to lots of toys, coloring books and Curious George the movie on loop.

After a good night’s rest we were raring to go.   Before I was a parent, one of my “I’ll nevers” was kid leashes.  I swore up and down.I thought it was horribly cruel.   But the Mini was a runner, with no regard for his own safety.   So leashes became a way of life.   Prior to our trip, I texted the The Disney Freak to ask if kids in leashes were passé, because in a sea full of jorts, mullets and fanny packs, I do not want my kid to look like a dork.   We chose a backpack style, which she absolutely loved.  She felt like a big kid.  She hates to hold our hand, so this gave her the independence to walk on her own, and I didn’t have to worry about her running off, or losing her.

But the looks that some people gave us.  The older generation… “I NEVER…”  and the younger couples, pre-children, whispering “we’re never going to do that to our children.”   This sort of reaction both pissed me off and cracked me up.  The older generation is very adamant that you teach children not to leave your side, and are very old school child rearing.  The younger group of people, are just naïve, like I was.   My biggest fear is losing my kids.  Especially in crowded areas.   So maybe I am mindful of her looking like a dork, but the stares of disgust and disbelief that I will put my child on a leash, well, I hope my daughter clotheslines you with her tether.

Shelly April 25, 2011 at 3:26 pm

That’s it? That’s all we get about Disney? You big tease.

I have always been amazed at the number of parents who don’t seem to give a shit where their kids are at WDW. If I were a creepy child molester, it would be SO easy to snatch a kid b/c parents let their kids run free so they can shove another ice cream into their piehole or scream at their other kids. I much prefer you to be the leash kind of parent.

Shelly April 25, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Also? NINE ear infections? Holy shit! That is ridiculous. Does she have to be mainlining antibiotics on her own before he considers her tube worthy? I mean, I appreciate he’s concerned and not just going to jam tubes in her ears the first sign of trouble, but let’s not totally ruin her immune system for antibiotics before she even learns to ride a bike.

alie April 25, 2011 at 6:43 pm

You totally need to punch that ENT in the taint. 9 ear infections is ridiculous. That many antibiotics isn’t good for either of them. Do they eat yogurt or do a probiotic? Maia hates yogurt so we do Florastor for kids. I’m really hoping tubes means this shit is over, though.

Royann April 25, 2011 at 6:53 pm

We have had cold after cold after cold, and I have resorted to wiping my kids noses on anything available. I can’t believe she’s had that many ear infections. I thought nine was plenty for tubes. We have to use a backpack tether for Miles, he is a runner, and hates holding hands. I’m going to use it at Sesame Place in a few weeks, and I could give a shit what anyone thinks. I can’t wait to hear more about WDW.

Jillian April 25, 2011 at 9:58 pm

You use your shirt? I aspire to that. I usually use my hand.

We tried that backpack tether on our toddler at Disney World and he laid on the sidewalk like a cat on a leash until we took it off. Jerk.

Veronica April 26, 2011 at 4:56 am

I would like to say a hearty “fuck you” to the anti-leash crowd. My children BOLT. I like the backpack leads also, although we’re working on getting Isaac to wear one.

And NINE ear infections? Funnily enough, that sounds like our first 12 months with Amy. We were lucky, she did “get over it” but it was a nightmare and I should have been picketing for tubes.

Mina April 26, 2011 at 11:57 am

We totally got the monkey backpack leash thingie. We ended up not using it when we took our son to Disney because he was so miserably sick, he stayed in the stroller or wanted to be carried the entire time.

Tommie April 26, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Ha!! My youngest brother (thirteen years younger than I am) was a leashed kid. He had to be or he was a danger to himself.

Somehow, I was lucky and ended up with kids who don’t leave my side. But that is nothing I did. It’s just them. If they were runners? I’d so have them on a leash. And like you, I’d hope they trip some of the Judgy McJudgersons right the heck up.

And yes, nine ear infections is ridiculous! My daughter was 8 months old when she got tubes in her ears. She’d had four infections in four months and her doctors decided not to ‘wait and see’ because the evidence there already. I hope LG gets some relief soon, one way or the other.