Reading Rainbow

by statia on March 20, 2011

I’m not sure what kid doesn’t like to be read to.  Stories are a big time ritual here in our house.   We all clamor into our bed as a family, and read stories together.   The Mini has always loved to be read to, and has been able to turn the pages on command well before he could comprehend most things.  It took LG much longer to get into sitting still for books, but every night now, when it’s time for bed, she screams enthusiastically as she runs down the hall:  MILK AND STORIES, YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!  It’s pretty funny, because everything is yay!  ”DINNER TIME, YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!”  ”BATH TIME, YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!”

The problem is, while we have a very big collection of books, we are so.fucking.sick. of everything we read.  We’re slowly trying to add to our already spilling into the hallway collection of books.   The problem is that, we’re snobs.   First off, I prefer hardback (but we do have paperback, otherwise, we wouldn’t be able to eat).   This is expensive.   Second, I like obscure books too.   I mean, sure, we have the Knuffle Bunny trio, and all of the Click Clack Moo series.  Sandra Boynton has gotten a second wind, thanks to LG.    The classics run big in our house as well: Dr. Seuss, Goodnight Moon,  Harold and the Purple Crayon, Maurice Sendak.  All of the stuff I grew up with.

So tell me, what do your kids like to read?

steff March 20, 2011 at 10:06 pm

A little older level maybe, but Magic Tree House has a great series. Love the visual of the whole fam in a giant cozy bed reading together, we have evolved from the like but now we are all on our iPods/iPads. :)

Yo-yo Mama March 20, 2011 at 10:13 pm

It’s Hard to be Five (Jamie Lee Curtis) – a good birthday present for when L turns 5
Bubblegum, Bubblegum (Lisa Wheeler) – you can’t help but read this with a metronome going off inside your head. One of my all time faves
The Story of the Little Mole Who Went in Search of Whodunit – if you don’t get this book, hand to god I will send you one. I’m not even kidding

Orodemniades March 20, 2011 at 10:48 pm

The Chieftain does not like being read to at all, and hasn’t for nearly a year. As soon as he figured out he could rip books out of my hands and hurl them across the room he has done so. It’s rare that I get the chance to read to him, and choose mostly kids poetry and rhyming books as they’re really very short.

As an unpublished author and bookstore clerk, this makes me very sad. Maybe it has something to do with his lack of speech?

girlfiend March 21, 2011 at 7:09 am

Our current list of favorites- authors where I can remember them:
A Color of his Own-Leo Lionni
Little Gorilla
Anything by Oliver Jeffers
And the Train Goes- William Bee
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
Let’s Go- Lizann Flatt
Ferdinand
Ben’s Trumpet- Rachel Isadora
The Pig in the Pond- Martin Waddell
Sheep in a Jeep
The Marjorie Flack books
The Robert McCloskey books
A Visitor for Bear- Bonnie Becker

jesser March 21, 2011 at 8:25 am

It took Ben a while too to get into the whole sitting still for stories. For the longest time he had like 3 books he liked, two of which are those ginormous picture books where he just flips the pages and has us say the words for him, repeat until one of us passes out. Right now though he loves: Little Blue Truck, Down on the Farm, Pajama Time, Olivia, Curious George ANYTHING … lots of stuff that makes funny noises and has good rhyming in other words. At that age, Tabby was big into Karen Katz and Sandra Boynton. Now she loves Skippy Jon Jones and anything by Kevin Henkes and my personal nemesis, Pinkalicious.

Shanna March 21, 2011 at 9:24 am

Iggy Peck, Architect
Library Lion (good for teaching that sometimes it’s okay to be flexible with rules)
Alpha Oops
The Scrambled States of America

Pam March 21, 2011 at 10:05 am

I haven’t got anyone at home to read to (yet) but growing up many moons ago my mother was a librarian and used to bring the classics in for us. Some in this list may be too old for the Mini still, but stuff you can work towards.

Stuff like:

Hans Christian Anderson fairy tales
Beatrix Potter books

There’s also:
Strega Nona
Books by William Steig
Amanda Pig series of books – Jean Van Leeuwen
Books by A.A. Milne (Winnie the Pooh)
Roald Dahl

Eventually:

Dr. Doolittle
The Borrowers
Wind in the Willows
Secret Garden

I could go on but I’ll stop now. :)

Happy Reading!

donna March 21, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Bridget loves the Bearenstain Bears, but mostly you can only find those in paperback – but they are CHEAP! And they usually have good lessons about chores and manners and crap.

We read a crap load of Curious George and have since before she was born. (Yes we were that obnoxious couple reading to my belly) She also likes Harry the Dirty Dog and all the Laura Numeroff books – If You Give a Pig a Pancake, etc.

Shannon March 24, 2011 at 11:17 am

Single most popular book of our two and every child under 5 in this country is Claire Freeman’s “Underpants” series-http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aliens-Love-Underpants-Claire-Freedman/dp/1416917055/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1. The kids, they go mad for it. Likewise anything by Julia Donaldson gets rapt attention (What the Ladybird Heard is a biggie). Fortunately, we don’t mind reading those ones again and again, like some other kids’ books.

Becky March 25, 2011 at 9:06 pm

My kids love the Llama, llama series (Anna Dewdney), Chicka, Chicka Boom Boom (Bill Martin Jr.) and Bark, George (Jules Feiffer). Bonus..I don’t mind reading these over and over. :)

Fawn March 26, 2011 at 11:30 pm

Lady In The Water – a bedtime story by M. Night Shyamalan. He told stories to his kids at bedtime and this is the one they liked most. He found he had to expand on the story in order to answer his daughter’s questions about it. I got it for my son when he was 4 and he also loves the movie even though the movie is a little hyped up to target a larger(and older) audience. It is our favorite book along with anything Maurice Sendak. I just recently purchased the oh so scandalous In The Night Kitchen.

Veronica March 27, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Until recently (like 10 weeks ago?) Amy would refuse to be read to. She would scream and carry on and so we didn’t. Now, she needs a story before bed.

I’m liking her bringing home books from the Library.