Reading Between the Lines

by statia on February 11, 2011

When I was about seven or so, I was over at a neighbor’s house, for a party.  The details are sketchy, but the portion of what sticks out in my mind, is the fact that one of the people at the party, who I wasn’t familiar with, had an RV (arrrrr veeeeeeeeeee, sorry, I can’t help myself).   RV’s are cool to two groups of people, kids, and senior citizens.  I’m pretty sure the people that owned it were retired.

I was so excited to take a look around at this marvelous house on wheels.  The woman, let me in and I got to see all the cool things it would do.   And at one point, she tried to shut the door on me, but even then, I was anxiety ridden, and I started to panic. So she opened the door, and off I went, flitting about, as 7 year-olds do.  Now, I’m sure if this woman was at our neighbor’s party, she was a safe person, but in my 7 year-old mind, that woman had planned to kidnap me.   I’m still convinced of it.  My spidey sense was on high alert.  Probably because that’s when you’re in the process of really learning about stranger danger, and nothing more.

Today, I was at a thrift store, in a bit of a seedy area.   I had some clothes to drop off, and I’m also looking for a cabinet that I can put in my family room for DVD’s.  Something I can cute up, HGTV style.   I had LG with me, and I saw a guy looking at me funny. I wasn’t really threatened, but since I couldn’t find what I was looking for, and I have an energetic toddler who feels the need to not listen, I figured it wasn’t the best time to browse.

We were all buckled in and I was about to back out, when I looked next to me and saw an old lady standing right next to my car. I opened the window a tiny crack (thanks, Dateline) where she proceeded to ask me if she could pay me cab fare to take her somewhere.   I told her no, and that I had no room, and she dejectedly walked back to the store.

She was in her 80′s easily, and unassuming, but I wanted to say, “Lady, are you fucking insane?  Does the light on my roof say on duty?”   And immediately, my mind flooded back to the guy who looked like he was in a gang, giving me the eye, and I was totally onto the whole innocent old lady, can you give me a ride lure.   I know she was totally planning on taking me to some location where we would have been abducted.    What the hell is it with old ladies and abductions?

It totally happens.  At least in my mind.   Next time, I’m bringing a taser, and that bitch is going down.

Shelly February 11, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Well, you just never know. Something similar happened here in our grocery store parking lot – a woman was going up asking to use the cell phone of women with children with them. She said the store would not let them use their phone and her kids were stuck somewhere or something.

For some reason it seems worse to get “taken” by a woman. Sort of like I expect a man to try to kidnap me/trick me, but a woman should have my back in female solidarity.

Shelly February 11, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Sorry – My story about the grocery store lady made no sense. I should have said that someone talked to the grocery store and the woman had not talked to anyone in the store. It was some sort of scam.

statia February 11, 2011 at 4:11 pm

No, dude, I totally got your point. I hear about stuff like this all the time. It was most likely harmless, but I’d rather assume the worst. My irrational mind keeps us safe.

Nicole February 11, 2011 at 4:50 pm

I don’t care if the woman is 80 and has one leg — there is no way a stranger is getting in my car. I may fight dirty, but I’m a paranoid freak about someone trying to kill me.

donna February 11, 2011 at 4:52 pm

I am so suspicious of everyone.

When I was pregnant, I wouldn’t go anywhere alone at night – grocery store, Target, etc. because I was convinced that I was going to be kidnapped and have my baby cut out of me. In my defense there was a lot of that going on in the news at that time.

Veronica February 11, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Your irrational fears and mine obviously have something in common.

Yo-yo Mama February 11, 2011 at 5:40 pm

If the news reports some little old lady was kidnapped from that store’s parking lot by a guy whose sketch looks like the dude who was looking at you and was asked by the old lady for a ride, you are SO going to hell.

statia February 11, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Like we haven’t already cemented that fact.

Old School/New School Mom February 12, 2011 at 7:08 pm

I totally feel you on this one. I am super paranoid! I’m sure that old lady was up to no good. ;-)

Linda February 13, 2011 at 12:21 am

Hey girl! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello! :) Good hearing from you.

OK, on your post. I’m the nutcase that would actually give her the ride. I have a mom that’s 94 (I’m adopted) and I would freak if she were stranded … so I can relate…but I would put her in the passenger seat and keep an eye on the lady and then boot her out at her destination.

Stimey February 13, 2011 at 12:25 am

It is so legitimate to say no when you have a kid with you. I have done things like let people use my phone to call locksmiths and whatnot, but if someone asked me for a ride when I had my kids I would just say, “I don’t give any rides when I have my kids with me. You understand. It’s my policy to keep them safe.”

river February 13, 2011 at 2:41 am

It’s possible your spidey sense is working overtime, but just to be on the safe side, keep paying attention to it.

Katie February 13, 2011 at 3:00 pm

I’m SO glad I’m not alone on this… I’m super paranoid.

About a week ago – the bf and I were out for dinner. And he needed to stop at Lowes for a quick pick-up. I was sick and didn’t really want to go in the dreaded store and stayed in the car. 2 seconds after he got out, I was locking the doors and eye’ing every single person that walked by the car.

I hate going out in the dark, alone. I won’t ever answer my front door if I can’t see the person, or don’t know who the person is.

Though, I’ve lived in decent places my entire life… we were broken into while the family sleep when I was around the 3rd grade. And last fall while we were at the public park (2 miles away) someone broke in to my parents house.

So yeah, I don’t trust anyone. Ever.

jenG February 14, 2011 at 10:07 am

Last week, importing some old blog content from the early two-thousandsies, I came across a post about my ex and I being begged for a ride by a dude who tried to prove he wasn’t sketchy by showing us his expensive shoes and watch. The post was about how we wanted to help but didn’t really trust him and gave him cab fare or something. And then we felt a little bad about not trusting him.

Now-me would like to go punch then-me in the neck. Seriously? No way in hell I’m bothering to question my spidey-sense again. Most of the time, when your gut tells you something’s wrong, it is.

Tommie February 15, 2011 at 3:50 pm

I’m so with the above commenter that said that when I have ymy kid(s) with me, NO WAY is some stranger getting into my car. I don’t care how old or frail they might be. They might have accomplices for Pete’s sake!!

Fawn February 15, 2011 at 9:34 pm

I’m so paranoid that when something like this happens to me my daughter says “uh,mom? your crazy is showing again” When she was about 3 we went into the only gas station in town( in a town of about 700 where the owners of the store went to school with my then husband and everyone knows everyone or is related to them) my daughter was wandering the candy aisle and a girl that worked at the store tried to give her a bag of m&ms. Sky started screaming and running and didn’t stop until she was hiding behind my left leg. That girl was just trying to be nice but wow my paranoia paid off with that kid..still does and she’s 17 now. My 6 yr old son is another matter..takes my word for NOTHING and would go anywhere with any stranger if they promised him food.

Tiffanni February 17, 2011 at 3:19 pm

You need to write a book. You have a way with a story. :)

Kelley @ Magnetoboldtoo February 19, 2011 at 3:30 am

old ladies are dangerous. They do freaking weights and Zumba now and could totally go all Ivan Milat on you.

The guy you saw was probably so weak from malnutrition because of his 12 hour a day XBox habit he was pretty much harmless.

buzz February 19, 2011 at 7:36 am

I am just wondering…if she was willing to pay you cab fare for a ride why didn’t she just, ohidon’tknow, get a cab? Dude, she was totally going to kill you and eat you. Totally.