Is this thing still on?

by statia on January 8, 2011

After my last post, I expected a lot more hatred and flaming.  I was surprised when it was more like, “well, hey, I don’t agree with you.”  I’m glad that people are all nice about it.  But I was TRYING to make you all HULK SMAAAAAAAAAAASH.  And now you’re all like, “Please, Statia, it was so last month.”

I don’t really, think you’re wrong.  I mean, I’m all about free speech, and do what you want.  What I wish, though, is that some people would just stop and think of the children a little more.  I see so many people who just talk about their kid’s every single move, and it pains me.  I mean, I’ll be the first to admit, my kids will probably need therapy for some of the shit I do, but I’m so hyper-sensitive on what I share here, in this public space.   I don’t ever want them to read and feel angry about what I’ve shared. And with all of the bullying going on, these days, I don’t ever want it to affect them negatively.   Sharing for the sake of finding strength in numbers?  Cool.   We all know that being a mom is isolating and frustrating.  And sharing and reading similar things to ours, helps ground us, and makes us feel as if we’re not alone.

So, I had to stop and take a step back. Re-evaluate what I was comfortable in sharing.    And the holiday rush just slammed me this year.    Now I have a horrible case of the winter lazies, and seasonal depression.  Not depression, just…blasé.

I miss catching up on what’s going on out there.  I miss writing, but I just need to get the hell out of the doldrums.  I need some warm spring weather.

Veronica January 9, 2011 at 3:12 am

Welcome back :-)

And it takes a lot more to make me all hulky than a post I disagree with, sort of, from a person I like. Heh.

Wombat Central January 9, 2011 at 10:52 am

I missed your previous post (just read it) on crazy clocks and sharing your kids with the Internets. I, too, see adorable pics of other bloggers’ kiddos and think, I have some great shots I could share, but I don’t. And I won’t. I don’t think any less of those who do, I just choose not to.

I just wrote a post on being late for appts. I always seem to misjudge how much time it will take me to get my peeps together and arrive somewhere on time. You’re not alone!

Stimey January 10, 2011 at 9:21 am

Man, screw you! You’re wrong! I hate you!!!

(Was that good?)

It’s a fine line. I hear you. I have lots of different reasons for writing at my various sites and I do try to keep in mind that someday my kids might want to run for president and I don’t want one of my blog posts to keep them from doing that. I also try to think about what they and the people around them can do with the information I put out there, now and in the future. I share a lot. Some would probably say too much, but I have my reasons and I’ve thought them through pretty thoroughly.

SMAAAASSHHHHH!!!

I hope spring weather comes for you soon. :)

Lynne January 11, 2011 at 11:23 am

I think taking a moment to consider what our children will think before we share stories about them is a completely valid point. Lord knows my mother is still sharing stories I wish would die. But at least that is among a small group and not blasted out to whoever is online that day. I also know sometimes I need to know other parents are going through what I’m going through. So I walk the line as carefully as I can.

Old School/New School Mom January 11, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Oh G-d. I feel you. This weather sucks ass. I can’t take it anymore! We’re supposed to get a foot of snow…again!!!

Tommie January 12, 2011 at 3:27 pm

I didn’t comment on the last post because I got all angsty and thought, “She’s talking about ME! She commented on my blog ONCE and so she MUST be talking about ME.”

Yeah, it’s all about me, except when it’s about my kids. Ha! I kid.

To each her own, right?

I started blogging right after I had my second daughter and realized she was going to have special needs. I wanted to give hope to other parents who got the diagnosis we got when O was two years old (she has 5p- syndrome.)

I do hope the weather lets up and that you can shake off your funk. I miss your writing.

Jessica January 17, 2011 at 7:51 pm

I didn’t read your previous post (but I will now). I just wanted to say here that this post really resonated with me and appreciate you sharing your honest opinions on the topic. So often, the children of mommy bloggers become fodder for mommy’s interest in sensationalism and humor. I try, and am getting better, to ensure that every detail, every picture that I include on my blog of my daughter is respectful of her as a human being.