This one goes out to Mama Pants.

by statia on November 11, 2010

A few years ago, pre-children, I decided to get on the knitting bandwagon.  One because it was trendy and it just looked so damn fun and enticing. And two, I thought, hey, I could totally knit dog sweaters, and “wouldn’t that be fun, Mia?”

She was so totally not amused.

But like many of my hobbies, I get frustrated, because I am a perfectionist; a lazy perfectionist.   So the hobbies become short lived and I end up kicking all of the expensive supplies into the back yard while giving them the finger.   As such was the case with knitting, and let’s never talk about it again.

Fast forward to current day, where I still have no curtains on the windows in my living room, or dining room, and I got this hair brained idea that I could sew my own curtains.  Curtains are a big racket, and they don’t look like they’re that hard to make.   I can’t find curtains that I like, and at this point, I’m sick of having naked windows:

Sewing was something I’ve been interested in for awhile, but two kids, lack of time, blah blah blah, you’ve heard it all before. Also?  I am the opposite of domestic.  But I’ve been drawn to sewing machines.  I kept eyeing them up.  Not knowing what to get, I asked a nice employee of my local Jo-Ann’s if they offered classes, kind of kicking the tires.  She whispers to me that they don’t offer classes at that location, but, and I didn’t get this from her, there’s a local sewing place down the street, and they’re way better.

Before I knew what was happening, I was signed up for a beginner’s class, and the next thing I know, I’m the owner of one of these:

Ok, so this was four weeks later, after I took the class and decided that I actually like the hobby, and have seen the fruits of my labor.   It’s way more sewing machine than I probably need right now, but dudes, I am a master seamstress now. I NEED the proper tools.

Ok, really, it was on sale, and it sews like a god damned dream, and I am in LOVE with it.  I am itching to buy fabric and start using it on a regular basis.

At least until I sew my hand to it.

Veronica November 11, 2010 at 9:56 pm

I love sewing, but I cannot for the life of me work a machine.

Kate November 11, 2010 at 10:25 pm

May I just say: That thing has a LOT of buttons. It’s so impressive. And so freakin’ scary.

Shelly November 12, 2010 at 8:12 am

This is exactly what I would love to do but I am totally too scared. I am way impressed with your badass seamstress skills. Now when do we get to see the curtains? Hung up and everything.

jenG November 12, 2010 at 8:19 am

W00t! Can’t wait to see how the curtains come out…because I have similar intentions and similarly bare windows. :/ I also have a closet full of yarn that’s about to get pared WAY down.

Shannon November 12, 2010 at 8:48 am

I tried knitting (no really. I really, really tried.) I have tried sewing. We even have a poshy sewing machine we bought off of ebay. The skills, they continue to elude me. In our house, sewing is the realm of the men. It doesn’t mean I chop the wood, though, that’s still all man realm.

Shanna November 12, 2010 at 8:52 am

SEW Jealous of you. Get it? Sew/so? Ha, I know, I crack myself up so at least someone is laughing. But really DUDE! That machine! I am using a pre-World War II machine that I like but would love to get a fancy pants machine like yours. Now you know why those wool pants I sent your kids looked like they did. ;) Congrats on the machine and if you ever want to part with it CALL ME!

statia November 12, 2010 at 9:21 am

Shanna, the fancy pants machines are awesome. I won’t lie, but really, old school machines are the shit too. They’re all very solid machines, and oh crap, I just heard the toilet lid open. Sorry. Haha.

handwashcold November 12, 2010 at 10:06 am

I discovered sewing through StumbleUpon about 4 years ago, and never looked back. Frustrating? Most freaking definitely. But the other day I was making a baby bib for a friend…a project that used to take me a couple of hours. I finished this one in TWENTY MINUTES. How the hell did that happen? Practice, I guess…but I’ve been having so much fun with it that the term ‘practice’ had never even popped in my mind.

Good luck & have fun!

Katie November 12, 2010 at 10:13 am

OK, you got the geekiest sewing machine. Lol.

I’ve been sewing on and off my entire life… I even when i was younger made cabbage patch cloths. It can be fun, for sure but then the dieing art of sewing just, died a few years ago after I put a pin in my foot and had to go to the emergency room. Make sure you where shoes or slippers. ;) Watch out for those darn pins!

Anyhow, I’m jealous of your machine. These days there’s some awesome lil buttons to learn on those things.

BTW: Since you seem to be new to the craft-world. Check out Hobby Lobby… but check online for coupons. Usually there’s a 40% off any one item.

Tommie November 12, 2010 at 10:20 am

I totally want to be able to sew. My mom is amazing with a needle and thread and even more amazing with an actual sewing machine.

Alas, the art eludes me. So I decide what I want sewn and head off to my mom’s, who whips it up like magic.

I’m totally envious of your machine, though, and your skills. Can’t wait to see your new curtains.

Ms. Pants November 12, 2010 at 10:33 am

My mom is becoming a Blog Valley High fixture and this makes me giggle.

Also–Bernina, eh? Go big or go home!!

Mama Pants got me a One Yard Wonders book that’s full of fun stuff. So naturally, I must enable you with your new neurosis hobby as well. I learned from the best.

statia November 12, 2010 at 11:38 am

I totally want to sit down with your mom and sew. Also? I want that book.

Mamma Pants November 12, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Oh I love it when my girlie friends get addicted to the same drugs I snort! Fabric, machines, sewing tools, books, scissors …. only a few of the things you’ll soon be spending your $$$ on. Here’s the deal: You work it out and you and Ms. Pants and perhaps another friend/s (Shannon? Amanda?) travel out to the country of Houston, sit at my big ass table for two days, and I’ll sew your butts off. I think I could handle six of you. Really. Truly. I’ll sew your butts off.

statia November 12, 2010 at 1:25 pm

I’m holding you to that promise. I could lose a little junk in the trunk.

amy t. November 12, 2010 at 2:58 pm

You don’t need a sewing machine to make curtains! I’ve made four sets of curtains using StitchWitch and my iron. I have a sewing machine, but I’m not all that great at pinning and then sewing in a straight line, so SW works way better for me.

Lynn November 12, 2010 at 9:06 pm

Go you! I am the least crafty person ever so I will sit back and enjoy watching your progress with this. Is this going to turn into a crafting blog? Cuz then I’m gonna get really bored. Unless you hopelessly fuck up everything you try. That could be entertaining.

Siera November 13, 2010 at 12:40 am

I took sewing in junior high, and surprisingly I liked it and wasn’t too bad at it. I’ve pondered getting into it a bit, but I don’t have the drive to find a machine nor the mojo.

Old School/New School Mom November 13, 2010 at 8:43 am

Yay for knitting and sewing. That’s very adventurous of you to get into sewing. I am really bad at it. I love knitting though. I can only really knit scarves. I used to have a knitting club in my mid-20′s!