The Wind Beneath My Wings…and shit

by statia on November 22, 2010

So let’s talk about food poisoning. I somehow managed to evade food poisoning in my entire 35 years, until the wee hours of Sunday morning.

We went out to our local Wegmans for dinner. You know, the one with the shitty carts? One of the things that isn’t shitty is their buffet and take-out sections. Specifically the Chinese buffet. More specifically the shrimp in cream sauce. Because we frequent the take-out section (on average twice a month), it was inevitable that it would eventually catch up to us.

It makes me sad, because I can’t tell you how much I loved that creamed shrimp. And it’ll be a long long LONG time before I ever consider eating it again. Even if it turned out that it wasn’t food poisoning.

When the kids started to stir yesterday morning, I knew, that given our beaten up state, there was no way we were going to be able to take care of them. Even if we were to plop them in front of the TV all day, which wasn’t a viable option. My mother and father live an hour away, and I had already suckered my mother into babysitting on Friday night, so I knew that wasn’t an option.

I texted the BFF. I knew she would have come to my rescue, and she did. She took the kids, despite having to bake cakes and cook dinner for her family that night. And when the Meester ended up in the ER (because whenever he gets a bug or food poisoning, his gastrointestinal system is like Texas; go big or go home, and he ALWAYS ends up in the ER), she picked him up. And then offered to come back to help put the kids to bed.

People, this is what you would call an extraordinary friend. Friends like these are so rare, and so few in a lifetime, that it leaves me speechless that I actually have a friend like this. Dare I say, it makes me weepy. I KNOW. Statia does not emote. She doesn’t have feelings.

If you have a friend like this, treat them to something nice this Christmas. Or give them the shirt off your back.

Big Daddy November 22, 2010 at 9:55 pm

I feel for you. I had Salmonela in September (sounds like a 70s love song) and spent a week in the hospital hooked up to IV. Btw, I actually gained weight while eating no food in the hospital. Yeah, great to me.

Shelly November 22, 2010 at 10:00 pm

You are a lucky, lucky woman. I had a friend like that when we lived in Jax. I had the flu (bad bad bad) and she went to the store to get me gatorade, came inside to get my infant daughter (risking her own health) and took her for the day so I could recuperate (husband was out of town). Damn but I miss her!

Veronica November 22, 2010 at 10:13 pm

Your BFF sounds awesome.

jesser November 22, 2010 at 10:17 pm

Dang. That is a good friend. You better send her some cookies … or vodka. Hope you’re both on the mend. Ick.

Melissa November 22, 2010 at 10:28 pm

That is awesome! What a great friend!

Empress November 22, 2010 at 10:30 pm

Dude – I think I got food poisoning from Wegman’s, too. I ate from their homestyle buffet cart. It was all really delicious, but middle of the night? I wasn’t thinking that so much.

Reagan November 23, 2010 at 1:35 pm

WOW! That is one AWESOME friend! Treat her VERY VERY well :)

donna November 23, 2010 at 4:51 pm

That is awesome. The only way she could be a better friend would be to wipe your ass for you while you were sick. I mean, I would totally have come and wiped your ass, but whatever.

Old School/New School Mom November 26, 2010 at 8:53 pm

Your BFF rocks! That’s wonderful that she was able to swoop in for the rescue. Apparently Statia does emote! Dude, sorry about the food poisoning. That totally sucks.

I’ve had a diarrhea festival during this pregnancy, so I feel you. I can’t eat anything!

Lynn November 27, 2010 at 10:36 pm

Ew. Hope you are feeling better. There’s nothing worse than the seafood upchuck. I speak from experience.

Wombat Central December 7, 2010 at 8:32 pm

I remember reading that tweet–we’ve eaten Wegman’s Chinese countless times (though I think there were a few times when the sesame chicken had a fight with my intestines). I’m sorry you were so ill! I do have a friend like that. She sat with me in the pediatric ED with my daughter who had a tummy bug and was dehydrated. She’s also taken them when I was ill. Those friends are like GOLD. Glad you’re better! I hope you let Danny know that his food made you ill. Seriously.