Preschool Plague

by statia on November 16, 2010

Last winter/spring, we dealt with more than our fair share of ear infections with LG.  This was new to me.  The Mini has an immune system like mine.  Made of titanium alloy and butter.   I can count the number of times he’s had an ear infection on two fingers.

Life was miserable, but with the spring, she was fine, and like most kids, had no real illnesses to speak of over the summer.  And all was peachy again.

And then the Mini started back to school, and I swear, not five minutes after he got home on the first day, she was fucking sick, AGAIN.  Since September, she’s had literally, maybe two good weeks of feeling good.   Everyone is miserable and covered in dried snot.  While I love her tiny little perfect button nose, I feel as if it’s a detriment to her.  How the hell can she even breathe out of that thing?  On the other hand, I guess I don’t have to worry about her being able to fit marbles or juice boxes up there.   I should probably also never say never.

Now we’re in this hell, of “well let’s try this and see if it works.”   She’s like a medical experiment, going through a cycle of drugs to find a band-aid as a solution.   Last winter, I was adamantly against tubes.  ”She’s too little.”  ”I don’t want to put her under any sort of anesthesia.”  Researching tubes on Dr. Google was a mixed bag.  People either swore by them, or tried to convince you to flee in the other direction, because “OMG AVOID MEDICAL SCIENCE!”   I am in the hippie camp of not wanting to do anything medically invasive, choosing chiropractic care (which worked for her, overall and I still believe in), and natural remedies, especially when she was under a year.

But at some point, I finally got over myself, because are tubes really that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things?  It’s either that or constant rounds of medication- including antibiotics, which I am not down with.   One of the shittier parts of being a parent is weighing over a large decision such as this and wonder if you’re in fact, doing the right thing for them.  Case in point, we took LG to an ENT, and she’s just shy of needing tubes.  Which is fine…if she doesn’t get any more infections.   Instead?  Band-aid.  He gave us a prescription for Nasonex.   Reading the literature, I see things floating by, such as stunted growth, yadda yadda, not studied in children under three, yadda yadda, STEROID.   In this game of chicken, I decided that, there was no way in hell I was putting her on this medication when it’s a shot-in-the-dark fix.   She’s sick again, for the third time in a month, and the pediatrician gave me Singulair.  When does it end?

Now I’m starting to get pissed. Much like the issues we’re dealing with, in regards to the Mini, I no longer want a half-assed solution.  I want to fix it.  And I want to fix it in a way that is best for both of them, but also in a way that doesn’t compromise my parenting style.

It’s a shame that it takes becoming a parent, to realize your parent were only doing what they thought was best.  It’s just figuring out exactly what is best, that’s the hardest part.

Siera November 16, 2010 at 7:15 pm

I heard of an ear oil that apparenlty helps… I don’t know the name if it but they sell it at my local grocery story. Natural, hippie. I am in Canada, maybe they sell it down there. I’ll get the name when I am in later and tell you. You try any ear oil? Have you booked with another ENT? I hope she feels better soon. Ear infections suck donkey balls.

Veronica November 17, 2010 at 2:44 am

Well, I hear chilli (and wasabi) are awesome for ear/sinus infections, but I sure as hell wouldn’t be giving them to my baby. It’s hard, finding what works, without compromising everything.

Veronica November 17, 2010 at 2:45 am

Wait, that sounded weird. Like in a ‘yes, steroids will work … but: side effects’ kind of way. You want her better, without making her worse. Ack. You know what I mean.

electriclady November 17, 2010 at 10:57 am

Ugh, tubes vs steroids, what a terrible choice. I hope you find a solution that you’re happy with.

Tommie November 17, 2010 at 3:49 pm

I tried the chiropractor too. And he was good. If nothing else, my daughter loved him.

But in the end, we put tubes in her ears. She was eight months old and had had infection after infection. I honestly felt like it was the best thing for my child.

But that’s not to say that tubes are best for your girl.

Just adding another anecdote to the pot.

I wish you the best in finding what works for you and your sweet girl. Sick babies are just painful to watch.

Mina November 18, 2010 at 1:17 pm

We did Tubes too. My son was 10 months old and the hearing evaluation already started showing his hearing was compromised. On top of that, he had an ear infection for 4 months (even with 4 different types/rounds of antibiotics). After the tubes, he got one ear infection in 2 years. He is now three years old and has had his tubes taken out. He has the immune system of an ox (not sure how their immune systems are but his is really good!). His language skills are retardedly good too.

It was tough to get tubes for my son at that age. But if my daughter was put in that situation now, I wouldn’t really think twice about it.

Kelley November 19, 2010 at 1:49 pm

My son had ear infection after ear infection. He was always sick with a cold too. He got tubes when he was 2.5 years old and hasn’t really been sick since (he’ll be 4 next month).

He did go back and see the ENT shortly after he got his tubes, because the boy can’t keep his head above the water (you’re not supposed to submerge your ears in water) so we had to do a week of drops to clear up that infection. Since that time, he’s been in swimming lessons four times, regularly goes “swimming” in our hot tub and loves taking baths (w/o precautions). We have not had an issue since.

river November 20, 2010 at 4:29 am

By tubes do you mean grommets? I don’t think they’re such a bad thing, i’ve known quite a few children who had them and were so much better off not getting ear infections.
Another thing, (you may already be doing this), have you tried boosting her immune system through her diet? Cod liver oil is available in many forms, garlic is nature’s antibiotic, vitamin c doesn’t only come in citrus. I’m betting you know all this already.