Bringing Cuckoo back.

by statia on October 19, 2010

Most likely, growing up, you had a relative that had a cuckoo clock. Something similar to this. Hell, maybe your own parents had one. I mean, the 70′s were such a weird time for home decor. My great aunt and uncle had one in their hallway, when I was a kid. I remember loving it. I always looked forward to hearing it go off. The little bird popping out was amusing to me as a small child.

And it dawned on me, the other day. You know, I can’t remember the last time I saw a cuckoo clock in someone’s house. Yes, this is the shit that keeps me up at night. This is why I suck at math, dudes. I mean, seriously. I should be focusing this effort on watching LG so she doesn’t glitter bomb the house for the 900th time. Not worrying about the dying fad that is the cuckoo clock.

But, I couldn’t stop thinking about it. I’ve decided that I want a cuckoo clock, and this sort of style doesn’t really fit in with our look. So, naturally, I wasted more time searching around for cuckoo clocks, and oh my god, you guys… Did you know they make modern cuckoo clocks? Like, seriously, how cute is THIS? And for those that want the traditional feel wrapped up in something more modern? You have the Black Forest Cuckoo. There are so many cute options, but I’m going to have a tough time choosing between the Cucu City or the Albero. Or maybe I’ll just roll old school, and go straight up German chic. Either way, cuckoos should not be falling out of style when they have such awesome options. Bring back the cuckoo clock!

Ssfb October 19, 2010 at 11:30 pm

And you think you lay awake now?! Wait til the damn thing is croaking every 15 minutes with fanfare each hour, they’ve fallen out of favor cause they’re obnoxious as hell. Hubbin brought one home from Germany a few years ago -uber traditional that looks like you top picture- and it drove me positively batty. I kept ‘accidentally’ turning it off until we had a serious discussion. Now it hangs on the wall as decoration only (it was that or in a box somewhere).

Donna October 20, 2010 at 12:20 am

The very thought of having a cuckoo close anywhere near me makes me cringe, but you get down with your badass German self, girl.

Veronica October 20, 2010 at 2:28 am

I have cuckoo clock envy. At least I do, until I think about having it chime at 3am. We have a one story tiny house and I think it would annoy me, really fast.

Shanna October 20, 2010 at 7:28 am

I have the old fashion, straight from Germany cuckoo that my dad brought back for my Grandma on one of his Air Force trips and then I inherited when my grandparents passed away. My mom had it restored and within one year I broke it again and then lost one of the brass pine cone weights when I moved the last time. So now it hangs on my wall collecting dust. ;) But it does remind me of being at my grandparent’s house when I was a kid.

jesser October 20, 2010 at 8:22 am

My grandparents had one when I was a kid and it still hands in my g’ma’s kitchen. It plays a little tune and dancers come out on the balcony (in addition to the bird) on the hour and half hour. The kids, of course, love it. Never knew there were such great modern options!

statia October 20, 2010 at 8:38 am

Most of them now, have an LED sensor that shuts it up at night. But we all hail white noise in our rooms when we sleep, so we can’t hear anything downstairs anyway.

Amy October 20, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Yeah, so… my parents still have a cuckoo clock – exactly like the pictured in this post. :-) My dad got it from Germany when he was in the service & I don’t think they’ll ever let that thing go.

So, as someone who grew up with a cuckoo clock, I can tell you that you don’t hear it go off every time it does – your ears become immune to the sound almost. It’s really only when you’re not used to hearing it that you notice it so much. One of the things I had to get used to when I got married & moved out was NOT hearing a cuckoo clock. I must have gotten over it quick, though, because I never did get one of my own. :-)

Wombat Central October 20, 2010 at 9:35 pm

LOVE the first one and the city one! Who knew they made modern cuckoos?!

My husband’s parent’s had one when he was a kid, and he used to like to take a hold of the brass pine cones that wind it up and let them smash against the wall. They presented it to him this past Christmas, and it now lives with us. At the risk of being a blog hoor, I wanted to show you:

Wombat Central October 20, 2010 at 9:37 pm

Oh, crap. Where’s the delete entry button? ;P

Try this link:

statia October 21, 2010 at 8:37 am

Oh my god. That is totally AWESOME. I love how the farmer gives up and let’s him climb up the ladder. And how she’s a big cock tease!

amy t. October 21, 2010 at 4:07 pm

Dude. My mom has almost that exact clock in the picture. It was my grandma’s and when she passed away my mom took it. I’m heading out there this weekend, I’ll make sure and tell her you’re bringing cuckoo back.

Tricia October 24, 2010 at 4:51 pm

My parents have one.. When the top of tue hour happens both the cuckoo clock and grandfather go off.. It’s so loud!

Marjana October 28, 2010 at 12:37 pm

Those modern cuckoo clocks are really awesome! I never even knew they existed. Something to ponder when decorating my future house. Great post!