Baby Bottle Bop

by statia on October 4, 2010

One of the things I hate about parenting is the assvice (is that word out of style now?  I never hear it anymore.  Eh, I suck at pop culture, and god dammit, I’m going to use it anyway) and judgemental bullshit.

In general, I don’t get a lot of assvice.  I’m telling you, I think it’s the eyebrows.   They just make me look angry. But there’s always someone who remains unafraid of the eyebrows, or they are just stupid.  And thus, assvice.    And I’ve been getting the look in regards to LG still getting two bottles a day.  Oh, don’t get me wrong, I don’t care what you think about it.  My point is, why the hell are you so damn concerned?  Shouldn’t you, oh, I don’t know, pay attention to the fact that your own damn kids are like completely out of control, because you are so busy nosing in other people’s business?   Every now and again, I’ll see an article on US Weekly or some other tabloid, about how Suri is still drinking from a bottle.  Oh em geeeee.  GASP TEH HORRORS!!!  I mean, yes, she’s four, and that’s a bit ridiculous, but really? Who cares?  Is it your kid?

Yes, my kid still gets two bottles a day.  The Mini got at least one bottle a day until nearly 21 months.  And I fretted about it, for no good reason.   He gave it up with little fanfare.  I know it’ll be different with her, but honestly, I’m in no rush.  People breastfeed for an extended period of time, and mostly because it’s largely a comfort thing.   And yet, that’s a loaded gun too.  ”You’re breastfeeding?  Yay, you’re an awesome mom.”   And at the one year mark, it’s “Oh, you’re still breastfeeding?  Isn’t that a little creepy?”   See?  You can’t win.  So I give up.  I don’t really care.   LG and I still find comfort in our bottle routine.  One before nap, and one before bed.  She plays with my hair to fall asleep and then puts her head on my shoulder and I live for the synchronized breathing.  The warmth.  And those days, those days are so limited now.  She’s sixteen and a half months.   I’m not sure at this point, who needs it, or wants it more.

But what I do know, is that people need to mind their own damn business about such parenting nonsense.  You see a kid being physically abused?  Sure, go right ahead and step in, and make it your business.  But if you see me giving my kid a bottle?  You can just keep on walking.   I don’t want to hear it.

electriclady October 4, 2010 at 3:06 pm

Screw the haters. My kid was on the bottle until 26 months, despite disapproval from even our babysitter.

Shelly October 4, 2010 at 7:13 pm

GASP! Surely she will grow up to be the world’s largest serial killer if you leave her on the bottle for too long.

mrs spock October 4, 2010 at 7:25 pm

My son is 2 1/2 and, though he doesn’t use a bottle, he still insists on being rocked by me while he sucks on that sippie of milk and holds a handful of my hair. I’m pretty if he nursed he’d probably still be comfort nursing before he falls asleep or fells yucky, because it looks awfully a lot like that’s what’s he’s doing. And so what? I love it as much as he does. he’s independent and happy and does well as day care, but we both need a good snuggle every day.

Lynn October 4, 2010 at 9:17 pm

Ugh. I let my pediatrician browbeat me into taking my daughter off of the bottle at 12 mos. It seemed like the biggest deal in the world at the time. Then she got diagnosed with autism and all of that shit became the least of my worries. Now she’s 6 and still uses a pacifier to go to sleep. I am unashamed.

statia October 4, 2010 at 9:22 pm

Thankfully, my ped, while a bit…disapproving, wasn’t really overly concerned with either of them. They can both hold a cup, and could at the appropriate time. Neither of them were keen on holding the bedtime bottle. I’m OK with it. I’m guessing I probably only have weeks left before she’s going to be done with it. It’s heartbreaking.

Tommie October 5, 2010 at 7:56 am

My older daughter took a bottle of milk to bed until she was two. I just lied to her doctor when he asked if she was off the bottle. She switched to a bottle of water when she was two until she was three and the lies to the doctor continued. My younger daughter, the one with the syndrome, was off the bottle by 14 months but only because she refused to ever hold a bottle and never used it to fall asleep. She was just over it by then. It was nothing I did. People need to mind their own business when it comes to this stuff. Who cares how long a kid take a bottle/pacifier/nurses?

Shanna October 5, 2010 at 7:58 am

Marjorie was almost 20 months before I could part with the bottle routine at night. My thought is whatever works for you and yours is the right thing to do. I know her pediatrician wanted her off the bottle by 18 months but he didn’t ever give me the stink eye since it was only the one bottle at night.
It was harder for me to part with it then for her as that was the last of our cuddle time and it was just so darn cute to hear her asking for her “Baaa-baaa”, she sounded like a little lamb. ;) Since I knew she was my last baby, I had to make it last as long as possible. Now she is almost 3 and as big as a 5 year old so the few times she decides to honor me with cuddle time it is all elbows and knees and her big head smashing what is left of my boobs. ;)

Reagan October 5, 2010 at 8:59 am

AGREED. I am totally with you. People need to mind their own flipping business. I lied to our ped too and said D was off the bottle when he wasn’t. After a year, he still had one bottle a day just before bedtime. It was the ONLY way he would sleep thru the night. He gave it up, all on his own, at about 18 months. No fuss, no fight, nothing. Just done one day. I’m so tired of everyone thinking that when babies turn one, they need to just magically grow up. Like they shouldn’t need or want those things they had just a month ago. Give me a break – they are BABIES. We should treasure those moments and allow them time to change and grow, rather than forcing them to be big boys/girls at age one.

Mina October 5, 2010 at 12:30 pm

I’m a horrible mother then. My son not only used a bottle til he was 2.5, but also a pacifier to sleep at night. Then one day, we told him he was too big for it. He said okay. I think he asked for each once. We told him he didn’t need it, and he was fine with that.

My MIL once mentioned how he didn’t need a pacifier when he was like 18 months. I’m like “Dude, he had two teeth by the time he hit one. He grew ALL his teeth between 1 and 2. That boy needed his pacifier!”

Anyway, I’ve learned a while back that you follow your gut and screw what everyone else thinks :)

jesser October 5, 2010 at 4:47 pm

I do wish others would stay out of these things … it’s irritating. With mine, I try to let them lead and at the same time keep myself in check “Who’s this for?” They let you know what they need.

Tiffanni October 5, 2010 at 11:50 pm

Yes. I really couldn’t agree more. Do what is comfortable for you. Screw the rest.

Siera October 6, 2010 at 12:16 am

Screw em all! My son is 2.5 and still has bottles. (The horror!) When he self weaned at 17 months, I cherished feeding him a bottle in his rocking chair as we still had our moment. He’d look at me I’d hold his bottle. I still cherish this. I don’t know if I will ever have another baby so I want to take in all of the babyhood I can.