“Avater” and other words, I mispronounce.

by statia on September 20, 2010

Me: You know, that site, hyper-bowl and a half.

Hubs: Uh, you mean, hyperbole?

Me: Damn you English language!! I have no idea how I thought hyperbole (must use that correctly in a sentence to show you I’m not that stupid. OK, I lie, I am) was spelled, but that’s definitely not the way. Maybe it needs another e on the end. Yeah, that’s it.

Other words I like to pronounce incorrectly: Avatar, and aspartame (ass part a may), because I think it sounds better the way I say it.

You?

JUlie September 20, 2010 at 7:57 am

Pumice. I like to pronounce it /poo-MEE-chay/.

You know, Italian-style.

Shelly September 20, 2010 at 8:14 am

poo-MEE-chay has me cracking up. LOVE it!!!

I have a hard time with anonymous. I have to consciously make an effort not to say anomamous.

I remember the first time I saw the word segue in print. seg-way my ass, that looks like se-gooey to me!

Mel September 20, 2010 at 9:03 am

Oh the list is long…but two that get me all the time and why I don’t like talking to clients on the phone:

Paginate – paga-nate
Helvetica – Hell-VA-tika

Faith September 20, 2010 at 11:05 am

I always pronounce Yosemite as “yose-mite” when I see it. I dunno why, but I’ve always had a block with that word!

There’s another word that I have a mental block with, too, but I can’t remember what it is right now! I’ll keep thinking, and post back if I remember it later…

jenG September 20, 2010 at 2:17 pm

My family loves to remind me of how I first pronounced “lingerie”–phonetically, natch–even though only one of them was there when I did it.

How was I supposed to know? Stolen Harlequins didn’t come with glossaries.

Yo-yo Mama September 20, 2010 at 5:47 pm

Banal. I always see bay-nel.

I also say AD-ver-tis-ment, British style, instead of ad-VER-tise-ment. I think it makes me sound smarter.

Orodemniades September 20, 2010 at 8:57 pm

I laughed so hard I almost threw up. I’m so going to friend you the next time I see one of your comments on the fb.

Old School/New School Mom September 21, 2010 at 7:33 am

Ha ha ha! That’s hilarious. Hyperbole is one I that I do know, but there are plenty of words I totally butcher. I could have my own language for G-d sake!

On a side note, how the hell did that blog get so popular. EVERYBODY is sending me that tooth post!

becky September 25, 2010 at 11:41 am

assuage and awry. Yes, I was in my 30s before I knew how to pronounce them. (In my defense, I don’t think I’d heard assuage out loud before. I had heard awry, but never connected that with the spelling I saw on paper.) Doesn’t make me any less embarrassed, though.

Kelley @ Magnetoboldtoo September 27, 2010 at 3:07 am

With my accent ‘can’t’ comes out sounding like ‘c*nt.’

I should totally record me saying it, eh?