Tip me over (and if you’re a man, avert your eyes).

by statia on August 11, 2010

Before having kids, my periods were merely a light sneeze.  It was two days, and I could use regular sized tampons.

After the Mini was born, my periods were heavier.  Not horrible, but by the end of the day, the vajayjay was chaffed and tampons weren’t in the cards at night (which I don’t know about you, but oozing while you sleep is gross).

After I stopped nursing LG, my periods came back and such full force, that it was like a water main break in my pants.    A very heavy, clotty water main break.    I’d walk around singing “I’m a little teapot,” in an effort to make light of the fact that I was bleeding so heavily that I’d often have to take naps from losing so much blood.

I called my doctor and told her what was going on, and she recommended me for and Endometrial ablation.   This sounds kind of drastic for just a heavy period (No dude, it was like, I was leaving a river in my wake on the way to the bathroom in the morning), and I know many of you are like, um, what about the pill or an IUD?    And to that,  I cannot take the pill or any other form of birth control.   The synthetic hormones wreak havoc on my girl parts (that’s another post for another day).   So this was the next logical step.  Not that I wanted to resort to surgery, but at the same time, I don’t have to deal synthetic hormones, which as a pseudo hippie, isn’t really my bag, baby.

The drawbacks to this surgery, is that they basically singe your uterine lining off, in the hopes that your period will be lighter or not at all.   And naturally, if you’re burning your lining, there goes any ideas of having anymore kids.  Which the doctor wanted to make sure that I didn’t want more, given that I was so young.   I assured him, that while, I will never be OK with the finality of that chapter in my life, birth control or not, we are done having kids.   I am very fortunate to have two healthy children.   Afterall, even though I’m “young,”  I will be considered of advanced maternal age in a week and a half.

I thought about all of the people that are still waiting for their own bundle of joy, and here I am, taking drastic measures to get rid of something that most consider a minor nuisance in their lives.   I went from not being able to have kids and wanting them so badly, to having my tubes tied and my uterus set on fire.    Even though I had my tubes tied, there was still a chance that if I wanted to, I could do IVF again.   But I didn’t want to do that, and now, I can’t do that.   I made my peace with not having anymore after LG was born.  But this is different.

There’s no turning back now.

Amy August 11, 2010 at 9:59 am

I’ve always, always had problems with my period. Used to have to take a day off from school every month. Blah. Now I’m 40 & I’m already in peri-menopause, which I guess is sort of a blessing since it means my long, horrible nightmare will soon be over. But in the meantime, not feeling the blessing so much. And I’m like you: no synthetic hormones, please.

Anyway – I have a few friends who’ve had the ablation & been really pleased with the results. I hope you are, too.

Also – no pads or tampons here. I use the Diva Cup – that’s one thing that’s made my life so much easier since I discovered it!!

Mrs.Mayhem August 11, 2010 at 12:42 pm

It is hard to leave the baby stage firmly in the past, but it has to happen eventually.

I hope the ablation works well for you, and solves the problem of heavy periods.

Betty M August 11, 2010 at 2:19 pm

I’d not come across this procedure before. Its hard to draw up the bridge completely. I hope it works to sort the periods out.

Tasha August 11, 2010 at 2:31 pm

I’ve had issues with my period for YEARS. I’d be fine for a week and a half then “spot” for two weeks stopping just in time to get my (heavy) period. It sucked. A lot. After trying EVERYTHING (go on, ask, I promise you I tried it), my doctor and I settled on ablation and it’s been the best thing. I have two cute kids and now I can actually contemplate white pants. I haven’t bought any (I have two kids, remember) but I could if I wanted to, plus no more anemia! The color in my cheeks is not solely from M.A.C. :) I hope it goes just as well for you!

Lisa August 11, 2010 at 2:54 pm

I had an ablation about 2 years ago and it was wonderfully helpful. I have fibroids and the bleeding was pretty out of control. I hope that it helps you as much as it’s helped me.

Stacia August 11, 2010 at 4:01 pm

Ouch. Hope it went well and wasn’t too painful, physically and emotionally. (And Happy early Birthday, ye of advanced maternal age!) =>

Veronica August 12, 2010 at 5:52 am

I’m considering the same thing actually. My periods are like a massacre in my pants.

However, they’re getting less regular and I’m getting hot flushes, so maybe I’m gonna go through menopause early. (I’m 21. It can’t be that, right?)

BritishSaffy August 19, 2010 at 1:32 pm

I went on the depo shot because I was getting such irregular, painful periods and getting ovarian cysts too (one of which was so bad I had to have surgery to remove it). I regret that decision now because hubby and I want to have children and I now find out that it can be up to a year after stopping the shot for your periods to return. No matter what happens, i’ll never take any form of hormonal birth control again.
That being said, once we’ve had children, i’d absolutely consider what you had done, if my periods were causing me that much discomfort. No question.

Love the blog, btw.

Old School/New School Mom August 23, 2010 at 9:06 am

You can’t do the non-hormonal IUD? I know, hormones make me crazy too. I am considering doing the non-hormonal one. I hope the procedure helps out with your periods!