Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

by statia on July 13, 2010

It’s a shame that we can’t love the things that others love about us.   The things I hate most, are the things that my husband loves the best.   You would think that this would make us accept and love our “flaws” even more, yet, somehow, it doesn’t.

When our kid are born, we spent hours going over every little feature on their body.  Every crease, every tiny delicate little fleck of dry skin.   Toes and fingers aside, we find all of the little things that someone else might see as a “flaw” and embrace it.  It becomes our favorite thing about them.

I remember looking at the Mini’s ears in the hospital, and noticing that he had a flat-ish spot on the back of his ear:

DSC_0736

It’s such a small little thing.  Hardly noticeable to anyone who wasn’t busy comparing the backs of my son’s ears.  But it was one of those things I noticed early on.   I attributed the ridge to his need to rest his hand behind his head all the time in utero,  and my guess is that it just formed like that.   This little ridge is just one of those things I love about his features.  I always say that if anyone ever tried to claim him as their own, I would immediately know it was him by this “dent.”   Plus, it’s just really cute.   At least to me.

LG has probably one of the cutest noses on the planet.   People have commented on how perfect her nose is.   When I first noticed it, shortly after her birth, I knew that it was a definite Norwegian nose, courtesy of her father.  It’s like a delicate little button, which is what I call it.  Her little button.  I love that little button.   I could spend all day beeping it, and making tiny little men ski off of it.    And one of the other things I love are her perfect little curls.  She had such straight hair until it really started to fill out more, and when it’s humid, her curls surround her head like a wreath of curls that I just want to gobble up.  I’m constantly running my fingers through her soft light brown curls.

DSC_0738

What are you favorite little parts of your kids?

Shelly July 13, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Her belly button. & the brand new, first freckle on her upper thigh. Love it!

I used to love her baby feet but now they have moved from baby to little kid feet and are not nearly as cute.

Stacia July 13, 2010 at 4:43 pm

My Giggles has eyelashes for miles, like his daddy. I’m in love with them now, but I bet when the ladies start melting over them, I might change my mind. =>

PS: Love the new look!!

donna July 13, 2010 at 5:01 pm

Bridget has crazy long eyelashes. And she has this little freckle on her lower back that started out very tiny when she was very tiny and as she has gotten bigger, so has the freckle. I love it!

statia July 13, 2010 at 6:56 pm

Man, the Mini has insane lashes too. He has lashes that women would die for.

Tracy July 13, 2010 at 11:21 pm

From the back, LG could be my kid. THAT is creepy.

C has curls in just the same as LG, at the nape of her neck – which is cute, but also terribly edible. Her eyes are my favorite though. They are the shape of my husband’s – big like his, with great lashes, but the color of mine. His are dark brown, mine are blue, and I had hoped she’d be a blue eyed girl.

With my older daughter, it’s the spot on her nose, right in between her eyes, which we always called her ‘special spot’, and to this day, at 16 years old, she’ll still demand a kiss there. LOL

Pants July 14, 2010 at 9:13 am

I love Nina’s lip freckle that’s only visible when she’s carrying on about something. I love Dusa’s little gravy stain on her chin. I love Phoebe’s perfectly outlined eyes–she’s got eyeliner down pat. I love Natty’s big yellow eyes and how expressive they are. I love how Boris snorts before he purrs and that he smiles when you pet his head. I love Liam’s little teef and how he just rests them on my finger as he goes to sleep….

What? They’re my kids.

Funky Mama Bird July 14, 2010 at 12:07 pm

His crazy gorgeous red hair and fat little feet. They look like canned hams. Tiny, juicy pink hams.

Mina July 14, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Funny enough, I love their chins (they both have daddy’s chin). It’s the kinda that kinda juts down. Now that my son is 3 and lost all his baby fat, his is kinda pointy. It’s just so distinctive about them. I could tell from the ultrasound picture before my daughter was born that she had her dad’s chin too.

Jonathan July 16, 2010 at 5:43 am

So where did LG get the curls? :P

fawn July 17, 2010 at 9:14 am

My son’s big toe and second toe didn’t separate completely in the womb. They are kind of half webbed. I’ve called them siamese twins since he was born and he loves to show them to people because I think they are so cute he thinks everyone must think that.

diamond dave July 17, 2010 at 10:40 pm

OK, I realize I don’t have any ovaries, but I’ve always been fascinated by their tiny hands. Like my infant grandson, when he’s holding his bottle. Or better yet, when he has his hand in yours or holding your finger.