Reality Bites

by statia on June 24, 2010

I’m not a big fan of reality TV on the whole. I’ve never seen an episode of Idol. I hate Survivor and Big Brother and all of those other shows. I’ll admit, I used to be quite snobbish about it. In all of my smugness. I’d rant to anyone who would listen. “Reality TV is rotting our BRAIN!” And while I still think it’s true. I need to get off my high horse. Because I actually do like reality TV, I’ve come to realize.

I’m addicted to TLC. I love medical shows, and all of those crazy shows like Hoarders and Addiction. I have an unhealthy love of the Duggars. Being Atheist, I find this kind of ironic. I don’t ever wish to believe in God, but you see, I do kind of envy the closeness they have, and while I still think their values are a little, um, primitive, I admire their core beliefs. I loved Jon and Kate, but only because I loved watching the trainwreck quality of the show and watching them go down in flames was just like finding out you got your coveted Barbie Dream House on Christmas morning. I parked my ass on the sofa with popcorn and beer, and watched the sextuplets birthday episode over and over. Give me someone with a raging meth addiction over Idol any day.

Hoarders and Addiction keep me in check. I go on pitching fits regularly. I love to save things for sentimental reasons, but there are some things that I’m just saving and moving around the house until it finds its final resting place in the garbage, all while the voices in my head scream “HOARDERS HOARDERS HOARDERS!”

So I guess I need to shut my trap and just deal with the fact that reality TV is taking over our lives and taking place of other mindless shows like sitcoms. I can’t say I didn’t go down without a fight, but I can’t hide it anymore. I mean, most of you have seen my boobs. Why hide the fact that I love The Little People? (and really, who doesn’t love The Little People? I want to put them in my pocket)

donna June 24, 2010 at 6:32 pm

I like Survivor because to me it’s more of a really innovative game show, more than reality TV. Big Brother makes my ass clench, though. And do NOT get me started on the Bachelor/ette. Disgusting.

Wombat Central June 25, 2010 at 8:00 am

I love the little people! The one episode of Hoarders I saw made me want to get back up out of bed and fill my garbage tote to the brim. I, too, was a “reality TV snob” when Survivor and Big Brother first came on. I will admit, however, that I watch True Beauty. :P

Tommie June 25, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Okay, I’ll admit that I love all the reality shows, with the exception of The Bachelor/ette and American Idol. Those just never came on at a time that I could be sucked in. But I’m not going to say I wouldn’t be sucked in were I to watch even one episode.

Does this mean I’m got an addiction to Reality TV? Yikes! Bring on the next season of America’s Next Top Model!!!

Beth June 25, 2010 at 6:44 pm

I’m another atheist who is fascinated with Duggars. I sort of love them.

Katie June 25, 2010 at 8:19 pm

HA! I’m with you completely! I hated most of the reality shows… Then TLC came along and I’m pretty sure I’m addicted to all of them!

I miss Jon & Kate plus 8, but mostly because of the kids.

I have a love and hate relationship with the duggers. I mean, do people really live like that?! I couldn’t imagine not kissing someone til AFTER getting married. So crazy.

And I just love the Little Couple. Such a sweet pair.

Siera June 26, 2010 at 3:03 pm

I hate Survivor and most primetime reality TV but I love me my TLC. Can’t say I’ve ever been a fan of Jon & Kate, I always thought she was bossy and I hate how she used to cut him off mid sentence in middle of their interviews.

How is the Mini’s limp?

Stacia June 27, 2010 at 11:48 pm

My husband just got into America’s Got Talent (does that count as reality?), and it pains me to watch it with him. Sweaty palms, nausea … for real. But give me A Baby Story or A Wedding Story and I am golden.

jesser June 28, 2010 at 8:17 am

Hoarders=my MIL. Not joking, even a bit. I use reality TV for self improvement as well. Super Nanny/Wife Swap = better wife + mother (actually J&K + 8 could go in for both as well…). Hoarders = better housekeeper. Biggest Loser = treadmill time. ;)

PiquantMolly June 28, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Love Hoarders, love Addiction, love Intervention, and love all of those horrible shows on Discovery Health — Dr. G., Mystery Diagnosis, I Didn’t Know I Was Pregnant (I have yet to get a single quiz question wrong), etc. I’m not sure how I feel about this new NICU show coming out yet. Hmmm.

Mrs.Mayhem June 30, 2010 at 2:07 pm

I love your description: “watching the trainwreck quality of the show and watching them go down in flames was just like finding out you got your coveted Barbie Dream House on Christmas morning.” Best description of American’s obsession with Jon & Kate ever.