Mr. Gimpy

by statia on June 19, 2010

A few weeks ago, I noticed that the Mini was limping.  I called my friends and asked if they had noticed him limping at the park while they were there during playdate (I stayed behind because it was hot, and I hate sweating, and LG was overdue for a nap).  Neither of them saw anything, but the Meester had said that he was complaining of his leg hurting in the morning.  I didn’t really think much of it, because I figured it couldn’t be that bad if he was able to turn it off so that he could go to the park with his friends.

By later that evening, it was clear that he was in a considerable amount of pain.  I gave him some motrin, figuring that he’d be OK, but when he refused to walk on it the next morning, I shuffled him off to the pediatrician.  It wasn’t his regular doctor on duty, and while I’ve seen this doctor enough, I felt uncomfortable bringing him in with an injury.  I’m sure it was mostly in my head, but I’m always afraid that they’ll be all Judgey Mcjudgerson and think that I’m abusing my kid.  Especially when they ask how it happened.  I know that’s their job and it’s also their job to assess whether or not you’re lying and you really are abusing your kid.  I feel my regular doctor would know better and not even really question it.   What was worse, is that we have no idea how he hurt it.   So I felt especially self concious, wondering whether or not she was eyeing me up.

She asked him where his leg hurt, and he pointed to his left shin.   She had a student shadowing her, and quietly mentioned to her, that she started with the leg that didn’t hurt, in case it was something that they were making up.  She applied pressure up and down his leg, and then the other leg.  She laid him on the table and started to rotate his hips, and when she moved the left one, he started to cry.   Now, for one thing, three year olds, while they are plenty dramatic, do not have the ability to pull off a long term charade like that.  They are good actors, but they’re not that good.   Also, the Mini, given his PDD nature, doesn’t really lie.  If he tells you something, it’s true.

Anyway, they sent him for x-rays, and everything was fine.  So we were instructed to keep his activity level down, and give him motrin for a day or two to keep him comfortable.  He was fine in a couple of days, and was back to his active self.   Which, thank God, because do you know how freaking hard it is to keep a three year old still?   The doctor called a few times to make sure he was OK, which, again, was probably just her doing her job, but I felt like I was being watched.

Cut to yesterday when he started limping again, and now I’m afraid that CPS is going to show up on my doorstep.   He has an appointment with an orthapedist on Monday, because this happening twice in 2 weeks is alarming to me.   Maybe he’s just pulling a muscle, but I can’t help but worry that it’s something worse.

Shelly June 19, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Well, like you didn’t have anything else going on in your life to worry about! Poor guy. I hope it all turns out to be something minor and easily treatable.

Melissa June 19, 2010 at 1:25 pm

Poor buddy, hope everything turns out ok and that he feels better soon.

Siera June 19, 2010 at 7:48 pm

My 2 year old was limping one night so I took him to the walk-in. The dr. being older thought it might be something that sometimes effects kids under 5, and it’s their hip joints? Can’t remember the name, but it resolved itself… it’s rare but specific to the 1-5 age group. He was worried my family dr. being younger may not have hear dof it, but she had. Anyways maybe google or mention to his dr’s… wish I remembered the name and I hope he is feeling better soon.

Siera June 19, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Found it. Transient synovitis http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1007186-overview

read further doen in the article for relevant info.

Tracy June 19, 2010 at 10:17 pm

Keeping any 3-year old still is a miraculous event. Hope he is feeling better soon.

jesser June 19, 2010 at 11:07 pm

Weird!! Hope it disappears.

Betty M June 20, 2010 at 9:12 am

Hope it goes away soon – Siera’s suggestion sounds possible.

Yo-yo Mama June 20, 2010 at 3:53 pm

Don’t you dare feel a bit of guilt or shame or whatever the “pros” are casting off with their questions or sideways glances. A “guilty” mom wouldn’t bring her child to the doctor for a limp. That’s a concerned and caring mom.

Shanna June 21, 2010 at 8:29 am

Alex went through an episode at about 3 years old where he wouldn’t put any pressure on his leg for over a week. I took him to the chiro and he had jammed his ankles thanks to jumping off of everything he could think of. ;)
If it is his hip that hurts it could be hip dysplasia. Marjorie had a slight case of that when she was born but grew out of it after a few weeks. If he has been growing a bunch his hip might be out of whack.

good luck and like Yo-Yo Mama said, you are a good mom for taking him. A bad mom would just ignore it until it turned into something serious.

PiquantMolly June 21, 2010 at 11:21 am

I’m with Yo-Yo Mama. Also? An abusive mom would have made up a story about how it happened. You literally have no idea.

Hopefully it clears up soon.

Faith June 21, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Is there kid yoga anywhere nearby you? Maybe that would be something to look into in case it is a hip issue related to his growth spurts. Regardless of how you take care of the issue, I sure hope he feels better soon! How awful to have a kiddo in pain, and not know how to help him with it at all! ::hugs::

Lisa June 24, 2010 at 11:56 pm

I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis when I was 4, and it starting with limping. Hopefully your guy is just beating himself up by playing hard. :-)