Always be prepared.

by statia on June 12, 2010

The scene:  Playdate Wednesday.   Six kids are running around screaming, while my two friends and I are discussing important things, while trying to drown out the mayhem of a gaggle of three and one year olds.

Me: You know what I wish?  I wish they made built in underwear for women’s skirts.  You know like they do for babies and kids skirts.

BFF: WTF (well, not WTF, because, duh, kids.  But it was implied).  Why on earth would you need built in underwear?  What are you doing?  Lifting up your skirt for the world to see?

Me: Well, you know, for those times when you’ve just downed a fifth of tequila and you wake up hours later, only to find your skirt over your head?  I mean, it wouldn’t be nearly as embarrassing, because they’re not really seeing your underwear, just the bloomers that are built into the skirt.  I’m just saying.  We need these kinds of things.

BFF: Yeah, I can see how that happens to you often.

Look, am I right, or am I right?  That’s all I’m saying.  Wouldn’t having built in bloomers be the bomb?

bitca June 12, 2010 at 12:35 pm

No. NO, STATIA. No.

Yo-yo Mama June 12, 2010 at 2:17 pm

You mean, like this: http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=46835&vid=&pid=757811&scid=757811002

Yes, I think these would most definitely work for those situations you apparently fall into too often. No pun intended.

Betty M June 12, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Noooo. No skorts unless you are playing netball and are under 16.

Kate June 12, 2010 at 11:39 pm

Why is no one pointing out that you’d have to pull your skirt down to pee?

That’s the best part about skirts anyway, especially if you’re in a bar (you are suggesting using the bloomer/skirts for heavy drinking evenings)…much higher risk factor of your skirt touching the nasty bar bathroom floor if you have to pull your skirt down.

Babies have diapers, so, not an issue. Now, diapers under the bloomers, maybe, but then all your friends will see that you’ve got diapers on when that skirt’s over your head.

Shelly June 13, 2010 at 8:11 am

I also have to say no! The beauty of skirts is being able to just lift up, pull down the underthing, pee and you’re done. If I was heavily into tequila, I’d be afraid I’d get tangled up in the attached underwear and end up pissing myself.

mrs spock June 13, 2010 at 8:26 am

It’s called a skort. You can get them at J C Penney. The fashion Gods may puke, however.

Veronica June 13, 2010 at 9:58 pm

I say no. No. Just no.

Shanna June 14, 2010 at 9:22 am

That would be AWESOME!!! I think that same thing when I wear a skirt to work on windy days. I don’t like the tight straight skirts so mine usually have a bit of twirl to them and the wind likes to pick those suckers up and share what color undies I am wearing that day. Wouldn’t be so bad if I didn’t work next door to a prison and the guard towers overlook our parking lot. ;)

jesser June 14, 2010 at 10:32 am

Woa, what’s up with all the skort hating? The old ones were terrible, but there are new, VERY cute ones! I wear black ones from Target’s Champion line with t’shirts all summer long. They rock. And they have built in stuff underneath, especially good for playing with the kiddos on the ground, etc.

Shannon June 14, 2010 at 1:36 pm

On the one hand – very helpful if needing to bend down and attend to toddler.

On the other hand – I just heard the sound of a Go Fug Yourself editor scream.

Mrs.Mayhem June 15, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Nope, never worn a skort. What an awful name. Two layers of fabric just seems way too uncomfortable to me (and I don’t need any extra padding).

jenG June 17, 2010 at 7:47 am

You know, I was with you until I read Kate’s comment. Dealbreaker.