Mama Baby Taxi

by statia on May 26, 2010

So I was reading this article on ivillage about how old is too old to carry your kids.   I guess a lot of celebrities are still carrying around their four and five year olds.   To me, this just seems like stupid news.

For one thing, your kids are only little for so long.   I suppose that four and five isn’t really considered little anymore, but who is anyone to judge whether or not you’re still carrying your kid?  What if the kid is incapable of walking (I’m pretty sure that little Kingston isn’t having a hard time walking, but in the interest of his safety from the media hounds, I’m going to agree with the article here on why he’s still being carried).   LG loves to be carried.  She’s walking later than her brother, and I’m sure part of that is because she often asks to be picked up.  The Mini was an early walker.  She’s slowly starting to walk, but for her, walking still isn’t as quick as crawling.  But, she’s trying.  I’m all for encouraging her independence, and she does do a lot of things on her own.  Things that the Mini never did.    But given his sensory issues, he wanted up off the floor, so walking became a priority.

I will still carry him from time to time.   I’m OK with this.  Soon, he’ll be too big and I’ll miss that he wanted to be held.

Unless all you ever do is carry your child,  why push it?

donna May 26, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Seriously? This is an issue for someone? Unless your kid can’t walk at age 3 because you carry them all the time, who cares? You are so right, this stage only lasts so long. I’ll carry her in parking lots because it’s faster and safer, and any other time I need to or she wants me to.

Donna May 26, 2010 at 8:42 pm

People should fuck right off and let other people do whatever the hell they want with their kids. Every time I read or hear someone else who has come up with the latest crap du jour about parenting I want to throw something at the TV, and I don’t even have kids. Pick them up or don’t, it’s your kid, you get to choose. So neener neener neener Dr. Whoever-on-TV. P.S. I pick up my new little doggie all the time. Sue me.

Tracy May 27, 2010 at 1:33 am

As long as you’re willing to carry them where they want to go, I say go for it.

I was actually cuddling up Chloe the other night, remarking at how LONG she has gotten (tall), and cuddling her to me. About 3 minutes later she barfed all over me.

Tommie May 27, 2010 at 11:48 am

Have to pipe in with the others. My older daugher walked early (10 months) and was still carried A LOT before her sister was born almost four years later.

My younger daughter is now three and a half (as of today!) and she still gets carried a lot too. Of course, she didn’t walk until she was 29 months old, but that was for other reasons than being carried too much.

Everyone is always in everyone elses’ busines when it comes to parenting. People need to get over themselves.

Jillian May 27, 2010 at 10:45 pm

Oh please, people will poke at anything. My two-year-old is Mr. “I do it!” so I will happily take any chance for carrying or snuggling. That will be true for as long as I can lift him. Of course I still nurse him at night and in the morning, so plenty of people will just stick me in the “crazy” column anyway.

HubeiMama May 28, 2010 at 9:03 pm

I waited a long, long time for my little so I will damn well carry her for as long as she wants me to and as long as I’m able. Heck, she’s 3 years old (just) and I just bought a(nother) new carrier for her – since she’s teeny I figure I can still get a whole lot of usage out of it.

Stacia May 30, 2010 at 3:23 pm

With all the paparazzi around. I’d carry my kid all the time, too, if I were famous. Which I’m not … but I do love it when one of mine asks me to carry them. I can sneak in some snuggles!