Ya Gotta Get a Chandaleah!

by statia on April 5, 2010

There’s a bit of marital discord going down in this house lately.   And I fear that there’s no resolving it.

You see, we recently purchased a dining room set  (hallelujah, only three years after we moved in, did we finally decide on something).   Now, personally, we both wanted something pretty contemporary and neutral, or what I like to call, every single dining room you see on HGTV.   I would prefer modern.  I tend to like the Danish Modern look, but it just doesn’t fit with our house, so everything is pretty much boring, brown, and neutral.   It makes it easy to cover up any sort of questionable stain made from children.

We’re slowly piecing together our dining room set.  We’ve made the big leap further into adulthood and got the chairs and the table.   We still need a sideboard, an area rug, curtains, maybe some artwork (another thing I’m picky about) and of course, the focal point of any room, a light fixture.  And this is where the strife is in our marriage.  We’re seeking therapy for it, but we’re unable to come to a resolution.

Currently, we’ve got the 1989 builder’s standard special.  It’s not only seriously ugly, but it’s also completely inadequate lighting for this room.  And people, my dining room isn’t all that big.   Personally, I feel that because the room is so neutral, it needs some glitz.  The girly side of me is screaming crystal chandelier.  Something pretty, and sparkly, and if it were entirely appropriate, I’d probably make it have pink and fur on it somewhere, but since my hair isn’t big, and I don’t tend to wear lots of makeup and leopard print, I’m thinking that something like this would give the room a nice touch.  Granted, if I spent $3800 on a light fixture, my husband would invest in a ratty wife beater, a 40 and promptly proceed to show me the back of his hand.   And there are some nice crystal chandeliers at a more respectable price that I can live with, but the meester wants something more manly.  The Norwegian in him says “me like Viking style.”   And it’s not ugly, and would probably match well, it’s just too plain.  I spend my days buried in poop and jelly, I need a little glamor in my life.

I either need to give him a lobotomy in his sleep, or get his gay friend to help him see the error of his light fixture ways.

And I’m guessing since his gay friend couldn’t get him to like Xanadu for me, all hope is lost.

HubeiMama April 5, 2010 at 9:05 pm

My words of advice from a crystal-chandelier-that’s-totally-inappropriate-for our-dining-room-owner: Don’t do it.

The maintenance of the chandelier is yet another guilt trippy job that a mama of little ones doesn’t need. It’s impossible to keep clean and I look at mine in horror every time I walk by – but I don’t do it because there are 9 billion other more pressing chores which leads to more guilt. Oh, and the glittery glamour? Not so much when all the shiny bits are covered by an inch thick layer of dist.

Unless you have a cleaning lady that does light fixtures. Then I say go for it.

Yo-yo Mama April 5, 2010 at 9:39 pm

If you have a “formal” dining room, the most flattering lighting is recessed/can lights (in the corners) on a dimmer and then put four sconces on the walls, also on a dimmer. You can get all 4 for less than one monstrous mirror ball. Plus, they’ll be easier to reach for cleaning.

Betty M April 6, 2010 at 7:34 am

I am not a big fan of either version andeouldprobably stick with what you’ve got. My main criteria would be something that I didn’t have to clean!

Mamma Pants April 6, 2010 at 7:58 am

Read the first comment three more times. She’s totally right. I like that your tastes in chandaleahs have NOTHING in common. I think you need to start all over again. And yes, builder’s chandaleahs suck. (kisses & hugs)

PaintingChef April 6, 2010 at 8:28 am

Okay, I’m with you. I think a conversation piece is in order… something like this…

Or this one is a good mix of crystal chandelier and husband-approved design…

tricia April 6, 2010 at 12:51 pm

I’d have to go with the Meester on this one… Or with Yo-yo… recessed lighting and sconces on dimmers is totally the way to go. You’ll thank us later.

Kath April 7, 2010 at 8:02 am

Dear Statia, can I be frank? Cause I like his choice better… It’s seriously cool.

I understand your need for glamour but how about splashes of color or lovely fabrics?

Stephanie April 9, 2010 at 12:53 pm

I know you don’t know me, but I will be frank as well :) Crystal is a nightmare to keep clean and you will regret that purchase! I like your husband’s choice and I think it would like nice in that room. (I haven’t looked online recently, but the only dining room light fixture I ever bought was at Pottery Barn in 2003 (to replace at 1980s fixture) and then we promptly sold the house – wah.) I agree with Kath re: splashes of color and fabrics . . . good luck and I can’t wait to see your final choice!

btss April 9, 2010 at 7:24 pm

I agree with Tricia and the others. And the viking lamp? Garish.

April April 11, 2010 at 7:36 am

We have a crystal chandelier in our living room. It’s impossible to keep clean. Yeah, I loved it when I first saw it – but totally not worth the upkeep.

Ericalynn April 12, 2010 at 10:05 pm

HEH. I like all those HGTV dining rooms too.