Just like sugar.

by statia on April 19, 2010

I think every parent wants their kid to eat healthy.   I haven’t met a parent who really wants their kid to eat junk food over a healthy alternative, rather, becomes defeated and lets them eat overly processed foods, or junk.

Prior to the Mini being born, I’ll be the first to tell you, that I ate total garbage.  Processed, refined, artificial garbage. But, there’s something about giving life to another human being that put things into perspective in regards to being the parent that let my kid dictate what goes in our grocery cart.   My motto was, “if he’s not aware of it, he won’t know what he’s missing.”  But as you know, the majority of people buy conventional and processed foods.   There’s no getting around it when they get older.

One of the things I’m having a tremendous amount of time letting go of, is high fructose corn syrup, along with red dye #40 and blue lake #1.    When the series of propagandic commercials for high fructose corn syrup hit the airwaves last year, I, like so many others, got my panties in a bit of a wad over them.    The fact that stuff like this exists and that we continue to put it in food just pisses me off.   It pisses me off more than “nahzies” , and dudes, I’m not even Jewish.

There’s a lot of people that will argue that HFCS or artificial dyes don’t affect hyperactivity.  Sure, I suppose if that’s all you ate, you probably adjust to it.    In our house, it makes a HUGE difference.    On Saturday, we had a family member visit from out of town.  We ordered a pizza, which I didn’t give much thought to, when we served lunch.   The fallout yesterday was horrible.  HORRIBLE.   The Mini was insane.  He lashed out at everyone, kicked his sister, pushed buttons repeatedly (would try and kick LG after I distinctly told him not to), bounced off walls, would cry over every.little.thing that went wrong.  At the end of the day, the kids went to bed early, and I had my head in the fridge and was chugging beer.   I feel as if he needs a detox to get back to his normal, sometimes misbehaving self.

I know I can’t be the only one that notices a difference in their kids behavior.

girlfiend April 19, 2010 at 1:54 pm

I definitely notice a difference with food coloring. F is bad when he doesn’t eat, but when he doesn’t eat a lot of real food and ingests something with food coloring he is totally out of control. I just threw out the rest of our non-hippie Easter candy after a particularly miserable afternoon.

Purdy Bird April 19, 2010 at 3:02 pm

I notice a huge difference. I try to give the kid minimal amounts of junk food but what I do offer I make sure is HFCS free and as low in sugar as I can find (I know, my treats must be amazing). When they have a birthday party at school or we are out and he gets cake/cookies/junk food I notice he’s much more hyper than usual. I get a lot of flak from people who think I’m too strict but frankly, why would I give my kid stuff that he reacts badly too?

Shelly April 19, 2010 at 3:18 pm

Hmmmm… I’ve honestly never noticed a difference, but have chalked up her lesser moments as being 3 (or whatever). I need to pay closer attention to see if there is a correlation, since it seems like a no brainer.

Mrs.Mayhem April 19, 2010 at 3:58 pm

I do notice a difference, but it’s so hard to avoid HFCS in a conventional grocery store. I’ve heard that nothing Trader Joes sells has HFCS, so I’ve been eager to check it out, but the closest on is 45 mins away (hard to justify the gas).

Jonathan April 19, 2010 at 7:37 pm

As if to make the point that HFCS is nearly unavoidable, while reading this post, the BlogHer network was displaying an ad for Smuckers Uncrustables. The third largest ingredient (after bread and water) in them is of course HFCS.

mace April 20, 2010 at 12:18 am

HFCS gets such a bad rap, but it really isn’t much worse than sugar. The problem is they put it in too damn much stuff so we are eating way more sugar than we think we are. It’s always good to avoid as much sugar as possible, and an easy way is to try and avoid HFCS as much as possible.

Betty M April 20, 2010 at 2:20 am

Why would there be HFCS in pizza? Definitely shouldn’t be certainly I dont need it for the ones we make! I dont notice a difference between the forms of sugar/sugar substitutes that my kids get I just know that they can be more obnoxious when they don’t eat properly.

Christine April 21, 2010 at 8:22 am

You are definitely not the only one. I even notice a difference in myself when I eat the bad stuff. I’ve really been working to completely remove the HFCS from our lives entirely and I’ve been shocked by the products that have it.