Turns out, you CAN make them pee.

by statia on March 28, 2010

So we’re now about three weeks into life with a somewhat potty trained kid.   We last left off a few weeks ago, wherein I was losing my mind having to be stapled to my son for three solid days straight, which was stressful for everyone, and sure, we made mistakes with the 3 day method, but overall, I really can’t recommend it enough.  We’re diaper free and for the most part, accident free.  Given that this is a newly acquired skill to him, and such a big change, I couldn’t really be more proud.   He was resistant at first, and that’s to be expected.  If it were socially acceptable, I’d walk around in a diaper too.  I don’t know that there’s anything more convenient.   Granted, it does nothing to help make your ass look fabulous in those jeans you love so much, but what are you looking for, hotness or convenience?  Come on, you have kids now.  Convenience always wins over vanity.

Once he got it down, he still refused to tell us when he had to go, and that was mainly because like most kids, he didn’t want to miss out on anything, or be interrupted from what he was doing (I love how preschooler logic fails to understand that getting one’s diaper changed is more disrupting), but one of the things they do say is to watch their body signs.  He got the holding it part down within a day.  He has a bladder of steel, that kid.   He’s had very few peeing accidents since the whole ordeal started, and has only wet the bed once.   Over the last week, he’s been extremely good about telling us when he has to go, save for of course, when he’s really busy and doesn’t WANT to stop to go, but he’s less reluctant if I tell him that he’s doing the pee pee dance and don’t give him a chance to object.

“Magic Potty Chocolate” hasn’t hurt either.

There is one small issue we’re contenting with, and that’s pooping.  I know that kids and pooping on the potty is a big hurdle.  For whatever reason, they just have a hard time letting it go, and he’s no exception.  He’s inconsistent and holds it in, and gets upset and will usually try to go find a corner to shit his pants.   We try not to make a big deal about it, saving the big damn deal, complete with jazz hands and spirit fingers for when he actually does manage to get it out, but something is making him scared to even try most of the time.  And anyone whose traveled this road before me knows that changing poopy underwear is far more disgusting than changing a diaper, and people, I was a dedicated cloth diaperer before LG came along.    Eventually, he’ll learn to let it go and it’ll all be a distant memory.

If not, his future wife can deal with it.

I got so much shit from people for trying this method.   So many of his classmates mothers were pretty much preying on my failure (“who does that naive bitch think she’s fooling? you can’t force them to go.  they’ll go when they’re ready.  Such a young grasshopper.”), but I think the fact that he’s been accident free at school is better than my flippant “suck it.”

donna March 28, 2010 at 8:57 pm

I applaud you! I don’t know why everyone thinks that all kids are the same and that just because it didn’t work for their kid, then it must not work for anyone. Bitches.

Anyway, I’m jealous. My kid obviously CAN pee on the potty, she just chooses not to for me. She’ll do it at her dad’s house. I’m trying to be all zen and shit about it, but I feel like a failure.

cathleen March 28, 2010 at 9:08 pm

I will pay you to say ‘suck it’… LOL Kidding… now the next hurdle.. teaching him to hold it down so the teacher does not have to duck. :)

statia March 29, 2010 at 11:50 am

Are you kidding? I have to deal with these moms for at least the next two years. Haha.

Veronica March 28, 2010 at 9:14 pm

It took about 6 months after Amy was dry all day (with no accidents) for her to start pooing on the toilet/potty. She just wouldn’t. She’d put a nappy on (herself!) and hide, or she’d just poo in her knickers.

So yeah, I feel your pain.

electriclady March 28, 2010 at 10:30 pm

WOOHOO! Congratulations! Wait, is he in underpants AT NIGHT too??? You are potty training superstars!

We had a lot of trouble with poop too–weirdly enough, since when we first did the whole “go pantsless at home and see what happens” pooping in the potty was the first thing she got. But once we added pants, no go. The thing that finally did it for us was “poop presents.” I bought one of those big tubes of tiny plastic animals and individually wrapped them and put them in a bowl in the bathroom. It only took 2 or 3 before she was begging to poop on the potty.

Tracy March 29, 2010 at 12:05 am

HRm – well, perhaps you’d like to introduce those classmates’s moms to the concept of “Elimination Communication” – or parents who “toilet train” their children nearly from birth? THAT is extreme. What you did? Not so much.

ewe_are_here March 29, 2010 at 3:08 am

Hooray!

As for those who would criticize, he’s 3 and clearly ready as he was able to stay dry within just a few days. Ignore them.

As for the pooing, some people think some children have ‘separation anxiety’ when it comes to pooing on the toilet… I don’t get it myself, but I guess some parents address the issue? Waving bye bye to the poo before flushing perhaps? I’ve had a couple acquaintances tell me this worked for their poo-scared child.

jesser March 29, 2010 at 10:15 am

Well of course you can! ;) I don’t know where this logic came from, but I hope it’s on its way out. If we never made them do the things they should, they’d probably eat nothing but chocolate and stay up all night watching Noggin. That’s what we’re here for … to make them tow the line, in a loving, caring manner, of course. ;)

Beth March 29, 2010 at 10:19 am

I think throwing a “suck it” in on top of the accident free position is just icing on the cake. But that’s just me.

I’m actually planning on doing this same thing when the time finally rolls around. I’ve also heard that one way to help with the pooping is to feed them lots of food that make them GO and then watch them like a hawk until you notice the “oh no!” look on their face and then rush them over. It’s hard to hold some things in, you know? And then once they do it once or twice, it’s not such a big deal anymore. Or so I’ve heard. My kid is still in the shitting 5 times a day in his diaper stage, so we shall see if this method actually works for us in a year or so.

Mrs.Mayhem March 29, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Potty training can be quite a challenge. Good for you for tackling it. It’s nobody’s business how you potty train your son. Most likely those other mothers are jealous.

Though, I do agree with electriclady about the poop presents. I’ve potty trained four kids, and they all earned a couple of small toys when first starting to poop on the potty.

Betty M March 29, 2010 at 2:01 pm

We had success with putting a nappy in the potty for poos. For some reason having it there made it safe to poo. Didn’t take her long to realise it wasn’t so bad. Personally I cannot be doing with poo in pants. Wees for some reason were never an issue.