The Not So Incredible Shrinking Woman

by statia on March 15, 2010

Psychiatrist: You look like you’re losing quite a bit of weight.

Me: Yeah, I’m kind of trying to.  I’d like to not look like a load for the rest of my life.

Psych: How are you going about it?

Me: Well, honestly, since I’ve started the Cymbalta, I’m not really hungry.  Half the time lunch time rolls around, before I realize that I’m hungry.   Oh, and I’m not eating sticks of butter anymore, so, I guess that’s probably for the best.

Psych: *looks at me to see if I’m being serious*  Well, that’s…good?  You seem calmer.

This is pretty typical of me when I start this type of anti-depressant.  My short stint with Effexor back in 2006 aided in me losing maybe 20 pounds or so, which I’ll admit, on top of feeling better and more centered, is a giant added benefit.  At one point in my life, I was one of those people that would just starve myself if I was stressed out.  Maybe this was my subconscious way of controlling something, when life felt out of control.   But after having kids, I somehow became a stress eater, and since I don’t have the metabolism of a squirrel, the pounds just kept packing on.  Now, I eat dinner and I don’t even have a hankering for a night time snack afterwards.  I’ve had a full container of Ben and Jerry’s in my freezer for nearly two weeks, and I’ve barely taken a couple of bites out of it.  This is clearly not normal, and sort of disturbing.  I could polish off one of those in two days.

So in the last couple of months, I’ve maybe lost 20 pounds.  I still have another 20 to go, before I hit my goal weight (the pre-Mini pregnancy weight),  but for now?  I’m feeling a little bit better about myself.

photo

Now, if only my boobs could defy gravity….

Shelly March 15, 2010 at 6:56 pm

If you figure out the boob thing, you are going to be LOADED!

Siera March 16, 2010 at 12:25 am

Good on you. It always feels good to lose a few. I always do.

btss March 16, 2010 at 2:10 am

Look how sexy you are!! You go girl!!

Shannon March 16, 2010 at 2:31 am

I’m here saying hurray and you look great and you can do it and all, but mostly I’m blinded by the curling iron. I can’t get past that. The rest of the statement though still holds.

Veronica March 16, 2010 at 4:36 am

You look fantastic!

Also, if that boob thing works out, let me know.

geeky March 16, 2010 at 9:11 am

You look fantastic, but you should probably see someone about that phone growing out of your chin.

jesser March 16, 2010 at 10:48 am

Lookin good!! I confess to being jealous as hell … no idea what is so freaking hard about it this time. I have close to (*gulp*) 30 to lose just to get back to pre-pregnancy. Congrats!

Lisa March 16, 2010 at 11:59 am

You look wonderful. Well, except that look of extreme concentration while you take the picture (I do that too, so I know). :D

PiquantMolly March 16, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Hot.

Mamma Pants March 16, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Dear Not so Incredible Shrinking Woman:

I think you’re damned incredible.

Love & Kisses
Mamma Pants

Susanne March 17, 2010 at 5:49 pm

You could be a walking advertisement for Cymbalta. Personally, I think if I could lose those last lbs. I’d feel a lot less icky, even mentally. So bonus.

Donna March 21, 2010 at 12:58 pm

If the Cymbalta has this added bonus, then great, but do you feel better? I’m glad you are in therapy. Wait, that didn’t come out right. Not that I think you are nutty and NEED therapy…oh never mind I think you know my heart is in the right place.

jenG March 22, 2010 at 9:34 pm

Yeah. Hot. Curves AND shiny hair.

I loveloveLOVE Cymbalta, and I didn’t even lose weight on it. It’s the only thing that worked for me, although it took twice the recommended dosage to do it. I dropped the Wellbutrin immediately after leaving my ex-husband and tapered off the Cymbalta, while continuing talk therapy. I forgot to take any at all the week after my mom died…then I figured, if I could get through that without meds, I was probably ready to try life without them for a while. I haven’t needed to go back yet, but I’m pretty vigilant and will hit the Cymbalta first, should drugs be called for again. I do keep a little on hand, under doctor’s orders, for extreme PMS.

(P.S. When I grow up, I want a tub like that…)