Blades between my toes

by statia on March 9, 2010

After two days full of birthday celebrations and cake highs, we stepped outside into the warm sunshine.   The grass was soggy under my feet, small snow mounds still littered various parts of the neighborhood.  The Mini was slightly drunk with giddiness at the mere thought of being outside after being trapped inside for three long months.

And then the smell hit me.  I slowly inhaled.  It was that old familiar smell.   Warm spring air with a soft aroma of a glimpse of summer.   What I can only imagine the feeling that heroine addicts feel when they finally get a fix, I began to get a little dizzy and high.   I love this feeling.  Usually I get a short one or two days of it in early February, but this year, it wasn’t meant to be.  Instead, we were getting buried under feet of snow.   I get up in the morning and check my trusty weather bug app.  The temperatures are slowly creeping up and I get hopeful.   “Maybe we’re finally turning the corner,” I think to myself.    I open a couple of windows to air out the stale sick air and dust that permeates our house.

In my mind, I can smell the warm summer air.  Fresh cut grass, barbecues, and chlorine.   It smells heavenly.   This year, LG will most likely be walking.  We can go to the pool.  I can hang out in my friend’s driveway while they all play in the sandbox and the little kiddie pool.   I look forward to neck and back sweat, and flip flops and sitting outside on my deck with a cold beer, eating dinner.

My senses are waking up, and I’m counting down the days until summer.

PiquantMolly March 9, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Yes — grass, grills, and chlorine. Add a little road tar and that is exactly the smell of summer to me (I’m from Minnesota, I had to include road construction in the mix).

mina March 9, 2010 at 1:32 pm

As you probably already know, Facebook has this ability to simply say “Like” on items where someone has nothing to say but it did make them smile. Since blogs don’t have that feature, I’ll have to settle for just saying…

Veronica March 9, 2010 at 6:11 pm

We’re winding down into Autumn here, it’s cold and raining. Now with two mobile children (new! improved!) I’m not looking forward to winter.

geohde March 9, 2010 at 6:59 pm

See this is where I get jealous because ti is pissing down rain here and the leaves are starting to fall. The warm weather boat has sailed for some time.

On the plus side, I won’t have to shave my legs any more.

g

steff March 9, 2010 at 7:55 pm

um…it was 79 degrees here today in TX, we grilled brats and had a beer w/ dinner.

However, I am not looking forward to the upcoming endless days of boob sweat! :)

Old School/New School Mom March 9, 2010 at 11:20 pm

I know exactly what you mean. That smells induces a euphoric feeling, almost crack-like in nature. I was feeling the same way today. I considered (for a moment) whether or not I was, in fact, having a panic attack. Then I realized that it was just the change of season that was making me insane.

Beth March 10, 2010 at 2:16 pm

I am counting down the days with you. As the temperature has been climbing up, oh so slowly, I’ve been hauling us both out of the house for short walks or jogs, or trips to the swing in the park up the street. I cannot WAIT for full blown summer, and my kid running around the backyard or at the beach at my parent’s house. I’m actually starting to get afraid that I’ve overblown it into gigantic proportion of epic awesomeness and when summer finally gets here, it won’t live up to what I think it should in my head. And then I will be crushed. But at least I’ll be crushed at the beach.