Stripping my childhood

by statia on February 14, 2010

I was perusing the aisles of Target this morning, as I spend half of my life doing.   Half ignoring the pleas of the Mini wanting me to hand over every last thing for him to “look at,”  half trying to shop for something specific.  And that’s when I noticed something that stopped me dead in my tracks:

newrainbow

And I immediately got so ever loving pissed off!

I mean, seriously?  SERIOUSLY?  I don’t mind that they’re re-releasing all of my childhood dolls.  It’s bound to happen.  I’m sure it happened to my parents, and this is just a part of adulthood.  Everything from fashion to toys, even cars are recycled into something newer and more modern.  But do they really need to “whoreify” my childhood like this?  It’s such bastardization.  Remember how cute and innocent Rainbow Brite used to look?

Screen shot 2010-02-14 at 6.02.04 PM

I first noticed this whole thing when they brought Strawberry Shortcake back:

lshortcakevintagess

And it doesn’t stop there.  My Little Ponies look sluttier.  What’s next?   Popples?  Making My Buddy look like a pimp, and his Kid Sister looking like a stripper?  Why must we feel the need to make these dolls look so provocative?   Why are we forcing these little girls to grow faster and lose their innocence?   Having a daughter sort of amplifies this need to keep her locked in a bubble of innocence for as long as I can.  She’s going to grow up fast enough.   Dolls are supposed to spark imagination, and engage a child in imaginative play, and they seem to be leaving little to the imagination.

If I could, I would invest a pretty penny into collecting the original vintage versions of my childhood favorites, but the price of that stuff is insane.   Instead, I hope that she’s into more innocent things like, stuffed unicorns and American Girl Dolls.  Although, I suspect it won’t be long before they get a less than wholesome makeover, too.

Veronica February 15, 2010 at 1:15 am

At the risk of making you stab your eyeballs out, have you seen the new fashion line that Miley Cyrus’ kid sister is bringing out? If not, don’t google for it. Knee high boots, fish net stocking and she is NINE. Nine.

I’ve got a good closet for Amy to live in. It’s padded and warm in winter. She’s staying in jeans and shirts forever if I get my way. And not slutty ones.

Susanne February 15, 2010 at 1:27 am

For me, Rainbow and Strawberry went from looking a little ragamuffin, to like they Just Went Shopping. At the mall. And spent a lot on stuff that still looks king of cheap.

Shelly February 15, 2010 at 8:44 am

I saw Rainbow Brite was making a comeback. I’m kind of digging her moon boots – for myself, though, not for my kid. Why do they have to trashify everything? What’s next – Holly Hobbie wearing leather thigh highs?

jesser February 15, 2010 at 8:56 am

Yup. It’s pretty disturbing. I hate how sexualized everything (EVERYTHING) is, especially as it pertains to little girls. I’m super sensitive to it and it makes me so mad. What the hell is wrong with them just BEING LITTLE GIRLS?? Have you seen some of the clothes they try to sell them?? Argh. I have sworn off all Hannah Montana and High School Musical, etc. etc. and she will not be allowed to wear a thong until college and before long I will be getting rid of our TV and home schooling the poor girl. When did I turn into worse than my mom??

electriclady February 15, 2010 at 9:14 am

That’s why American Girl is so brilliant–they will hold that line forever, because there will always be people like us horrified by the sexualization of everything else girl. And eventually we will fork over $100/doll to try to avoid slutty Rainbow Brite.

buzz February 15, 2010 at 12:56 pm

*Runs out to buy a Rainbow Brite*

ssfb February 15, 2010 at 2:06 pm

I loooooved rainbow brite and strawberry shortcake, but those are both pretty disappointing remakes.

Beth February 15, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Noooo! I didn’t even RECOGNIZE Rainbow Brite at first. Meh. This is just. Not. Cool.

jennyalice February 15, 2010 at 3:10 pm

like Beth I didn’t even recognize that it was Rainbow Brite!

At this point Barbie is looking like a safe bet.. at least she’s an independent woman who has been a doctor, lawyer, veterinarian, teacher *and* bikini babe/go go dancer.

geohde February 16, 2010 at 8:29 pm

What really really shits me up and down the wall is the little girls underwear section has g-ddamn BRAS in it these days. I mean, really?

I’m 30 and I still don’t need one, I don’t think many five year old’s would differ.

g

Old School/New School Mom February 19, 2010 at 8:38 am

This is truly terrifying. I am really upset by the slutyness. This is not okay, not okay at all. The original Rainbow Brite was a warrior. She was ready to rock on, this new one is just a whore.

Pam March 13, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Its like they’re all prostitutes now.

{ 1 trackback }