Putting the fan in profanity.

by statia on February 28, 2010

I love profanity.  I’m sure that’s not really much of a surprise to you if you’ve been reading here, for oh, the last five minutes.  I’ve loved profanity for as long as I could remember.  I couldn’t wait to grow up and swear.  I’m sure I used it much younger than I probably should have, when I wasn’t within earshot of an adult.

Maybe this isn’t “ladylike,”  or “classy” (unless you’re spelling it klassy with a k), but it’s part of who I am.  The word “fuck” litters my writing more often than not, and I’m sure there are people who stop by here and are offended (when isn’t someone offended on the internet) and think that such language isn’t necessary to prove a point, but you see, it is, for me.  To me, it’s colorful and sometimes delivers much more of a powerful punch, than say, a 50 cent word that only half of the people will understand.  I can guarantee you, that everyone understands the word fuck.

Also, having kids, has really put a damper on my truck driver mouth.   Once the kids are in bed, I breathe a sigh of relief, quietly celebrating having made it through another day, relatively unscathed.   At which point, I mumble a string of expletives under my breath as all one word “shitcockballsassholefuckerwhorebitch.”  Or something similar.  You know, whatever.

And I tried to curb it in my writing for awhile.  Not to appease my 6 readers (I’m moving up in the world!), but mainly because I was trying to get in the habit of not swearing so much.   It was a failed experiment.  It’s just ingrained in me, and I’ll always have a potty mouth.

What about you?  What’s your stance?   Are you a mommy blogger with a dirty whore of a mouth, or are you one of those prim and proper types that thinks swearing is for men sitting around a poker table (if so, I’m betting that you probably aren’t reading this blog)?

Aunt Becky March 1, 2010 at 12:16 am

Bwahahahaha! Wait, are you asking me? I swear all the time, although I probably should stop some to attract more readers and maybe sell books. BUT you know what? I find it endearing. In you, I find it endearing. Which means that other people probably find it endearing in me, too. So, swear away, motherfucker.

diamond dave March 1, 2010 at 1:16 am

Seems to me more profanity is to be found these days on mommy blogs than guy’s poker games. ;-)

Personally, I try not to litter my speech and writings with it unless there simply is no better way to express a point. Because after a while it just sounds redundant to me and loses it’s punch and effect.

Where I tend to have issues is with parents who have no qualms cursing like crazy in front of their little ones. I’m not talking about the mom that on occasion lets profanity slip during a stressful moment with a four-year-old, or lets their teenager know just how shitty their behavior is, in those words or very similar. I don’t even really take issue with those that refer to their kids on their blogs as assholes (because we’ve all been there). I mean the moms you sometimes run across in the park or the laundromat that has no problem cutting loose with a string of f-bombs in front of, or directly to, their six year old. There are just some things that little kids aren’t meant to hear quite yet.

Veronica March 1, 2010 at 1:33 am

The more I swear IRL, the less I swear in my writing. Currently I’m swearing a lot at home and not so much on my blog.

It changes though, I’ll stop swearing so much at home and you’ll start to find fucks littered through my writing.

divrchk March 1, 2010 at 8:02 am

My husband says that I swear too much. And I should never do it in front of the kids. I say as they get older, they should know that grown ups can say certain words that they are not allowed.

Mamma Pants March 1, 2010 at 11:44 am

You know I swear. It’s apparently in the DNA of this family. But I did my best to keep a clean mouth when our grand-dudes were little – till they told me that their mommy said “It’s okay when Lala says it but not when you say it.” After that, I just said whatever I wanted. So now that they’re teen-agers, they lay bets on when the first f-bomb of the day will drop — and it’s just as often their grandfather as me.

Mamma Pants March 1, 2010 at 11:45 am

And, BTW, you have 98 subscribers.

jesser March 1, 2010 at 1:41 pm

I’m not big on swearing … sure I definitely drop the f-bomb for emphasis and in times of great umm… frustrataion, but I do try to keep it cleanish. My greatest weakness is driving, when some fucker cuts me off, etc. etc. In fact, I’m MORE angry if the kids are in the car. How dare HE?!?! It is a miracle Tabby’s mouth is as clean as it is ….

Beth March 1, 2010 at 1:54 pm

I have big sailor mouth. It’s bad, and I’m trying really hard to get a hold of it before the kid starts to talk. Maybe I should start inserting more of my sailor talk into my blog, and get it out that way. Of course that may back fire and lead me to talk like that even more. I seem to be doomed no matter what. Heh.

girlfiend March 1, 2010 at 3:14 pm

Sometimes before I hit publish I go back and reread my posts to delete extra “fucks.” Not because people are offended by my potty mouth, but because I feel like the word loses its punch when overused. I try to limit myself to one or two fucks per post.

But out loud? It’s hard to go back and edit. I’m pretty good around the kids, but I’m pretty sure that F can read lips now and knows exactly what I’m muttering under my breath.

Betty M March 1, 2010 at 3:33 pm

I have a bad habit of swearing in front of the kids. So far though they haven’t started copying me.

Kath March 1, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Me, I love swearing. Not so much in writing, but in the right (like-minded) company. The more colorful, the better. I used to get a huge kick out of translating the most vulgar expressions from English to German and vice versa — “bloody fucking shit” sounds so much, uh, richer, when you look at it literally.

But alas, that was my previous life. Now I don’t even say “shit” any more. Because I hate it when little kids swear, and I don’t want to say “don’t do as I do.”

When they’re older, though, I hope to return to my old form.

donna March 1, 2010 at 5:15 pm

I definitely don’t do it in front of the kid. But I’m not afraid to say the words I mean. And sometimes those words are goddamn assmonkey cocksucker whore.

Faith March 1, 2010 at 5:56 pm

Fortunately, my dogs don’t seem to care much that I cuss the way I do.

Neither do my readers. (At least they haven’t said anything to me about it!) (And if they did, I’d tell them to fuck right off, so, yeah. There’s that.)

Old School/New School Mom March 1, 2010 at 11:01 pm

I just want to say, that I’ve been cursing since the 4th grade. There I said it! This is the result of a fabulous NYC public school education and a Bronx-born dad. Anyway, I am STILL having trouble not cursing!! I say the F-bomb so much and my friends and family remind me that my son is standing right there! He is not yet two, but I have to stop! I even wrote this to try to stop:

geohde March 2, 2010 at 2:27 am

i am trying to reform, but driving always gets me, every time and the cheery course of FUCK from the back seat? Actually makes me giggle although I know it shouldn’t.

g

Fawn March 2, 2010 at 12:27 pm

I use colorful language and my son has picked up some words but not the big F, so far. He never uses them incorrectly and well that’s a plus isn’t it? I know I’m a horrible mother but this is the same kid who at 4 yrs old asked me what coagulate meant. He loves words and phrases, he’s a sponge. I taught both of my kids not to use words unless they knew the meanings so he’s asked me what “I stand corrected” means and then spent the rest of the day making incorrect statements so that I could correct him and he could use his new phrase.

Susanne March 2, 2010 at 7:43 pm

I kept telling myself that I was going to HAVE to quit swearing, before the child started to talk. But I didn’t, and haven’t, though I am more aware of what I say in front of him. That said, and this is the best part, my husband who righteously hardly swears at all, said “Goddammit” in front of the child one day when the carseat straps got tangled. And guess who repeated it?! Sweet, sweet irony. Since then, our child spent about two weeks muttering “dammit” in correct context (agree there is something to teaching them to use the words correctly), but we ignored it and he seems pretty much off of it. He told me to “shut up, Mommy,” in a sweet voice that seemed to belie his message. I told him he could not say that and so far it’s happened only 3x. My lesson is that they really are listening even from the earliest age. So if you mean to stop your teamster language, do so well before you think you’re going to need to, or else you’re fucked.

Melissa March 2, 2010 at 9:57 pm

I’m not a blogger. I am considering it so I can use “fuck” on a regular basis since I can’t use as often as I like!

btss March 3, 2010 at 2:04 am

I swear a lot more IRL than I do on my blog. I’m far more lady like than some, far less than others. Sometimes expletives go a hell of a lot further than other adjectives/nouns/verbs. For example: “He cheated me out of money,” versus “He fucked me over.” One is bad. One is REALLY bad.

I’m just saying…

Siera March 3, 2010 at 4:48 pm

In real life I have potty mouth. How can I not I’ve been with a sailor for the last 7 1/2 years! In blogging I’m undecided. Sometimes the word “fuck” is just needed to convey your point, but I don’t want to offend anyone either.

Megan R. March 5, 2010 at 2:22 pm

Just last night my husband and I were having a conversation that contemplated when we needed to stop swearing in front of our baby. She is seven months old. We decided it isn’t time just yet.

Early on, the songs we made up for her had swear words in them, you know…like…”if you don’t stop crying right fucking now we will never buy you a pony”…and other random but meaningful shit of the like. Hey, whatever works to help get you through those early months, right?

Swearing doesn’t work for everyone, but I know it works for me. So…kudos to you on this post! Kindred spirits DO exist in this world, and they should be celebrated!

{ 1 trackback }