Moving on up

by statia on February 23, 2010

After living here for nearly three years, we’re finally looking to take the plunge and buy a dining room set.  Currently my dining room houses a kids pretend tool bench, some sort of ride on and a toy garage.   We’ve put off buying one because it was a great excuse to not have to host family dinners.   Our house is laid out horribly for entertaining, and I’m not a fan of cooking big dinners.   But, the kids are getting older, and dragging them to my parents house for Christmas is getting to be a hassle.  Kids want to stay home and play with their new toys.  It’s overstimulating enough, Christmas Day.   Taking them to the Grandparent’s house on top of that is like epic meltdownville.

Our other reason is there may be a chance we’ll end up moving sooner, rather than later.   See above re: horrible house layout.  Not having a dining room set will help us stage the house a little bit better.

My problem is that I’m horribly picky.  I get this picture in my head of what I want, and forget it.   It’s an unachievable goal.  I’ve tried all of the basic garanimal type stores, which makes me feel as if this house lacks any sort of pizazz, yet, I don’t want to spend a mint and I want it to be neutral in case we do decide to sell.   I also don’t want to spend a ton of money because I have two kids and that means we can’t have nice things.   I’m still trying to get marker out of the family room carpet.

I realize this is horribly boring, but I’m high as a kite on vicodin, thanks to my doctor failing to callin an RX for an antibiotic for this raging UTI I have.   And you know, if anyone has any ideas, the suggestion box is open.   I’ve already tried all of the basic cookie cutter stores.  Come on, internets, don’t let me down.

Lyrehca February 23, 2010 at 10:14 pm

Craigslist? You might find something great and not spend a ton on it.

Siera February 23, 2010 at 10:20 pm

Good Luck. We bought a dining room table modern, wood, glass and leather chairs. Which fit the condo perfectly… Hasn’t fit in since we left. I aint the one to ask sorry.

Veronica February 24, 2010 at 3:22 am

Uhm. I inherited an awesome dinner table/chairs when my grandmother died. I don’t recommend that as a way to get good furniture, no matter how well it works.

I really can’t help, our furniture stores are sadly lacking anything cheap/decent.

Faith February 24, 2010 at 9:45 am

What basic stores have you tried? I’d hit up West Elm, Target, and Room & Board to begin. We don’t have an Ikea anywhere near us, but I’d try there, too.

I’ve never shopped for a dining set like the one you’re likely looking for, because I don’t have a dining room. But if I did, I might even head to the local Goodwill or Salvation Army, or other stores that sell used furniture, to find one.

If you’re planning on moving relatively soon (maybe), and have a dining room, it should be staged as a dining room. So having the table seems like a win/win all around to me!

Old School/New School Mom February 24, 2010 at 9:56 am

I’d have to agree with Faith, if you have access to an Ikea I would hit them up. Otherwise find someone on Craiglist that has the Ikea stuff you want. Like research what you want from the Ikea website and then find someone on Craigslist who is selling it for cheaper. But in general I am big Ikea fan. Also Target has some decent stuff. Bombay Company is cool. But they stopped selling online! Is there one near you?

ewe_are_here February 24, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Ikea might be the way to go until you do eventually move, have bigger kids, and can buy the dining room set you crave. In the interim, ikea is affordable, durable and has a lot of decent looking stuff … we have a house full of it!

Aunt Becky February 24, 2010 at 2:06 pm

I *hate* shopping for furniture which is why my house looks, well, like it does. Good for you! You’re all grown-up and stuff! POST PICTURES WHEN YOU’RE DONE.

HubeiMama February 25, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Did you try World Market? We just bought our grown up fits-more-than-4-people table there and promptly used it to entertain 8 or so folks.

I’m thinking of returning it so I don’t have to ever do that again.