Hating the game(s)

by statia on February 12, 2010

Ok, I’m going to catch major hell for this.  But I really don’t care.  Seriously, I don’t get the fierce love of the Olympics.   Maybe it just seems more in my face with twitter and facebook and a billion other social media outlets nowadays (when I was a kid, we had to go up to the TV and turn the dial to change the channel, and we liked it).   We are not sports people in this house.  I do like baseball, but the only way I can watch a game is to be there.  You will never see a football game on in this house.   You’ll never see any type of sporting event.  We’re just not that into it.  If that’s your cup of tea, then hey, more power to you.   I really don’t care.

But I hate the Olympics, and the next two weeks are going to be pure hell for me.

donna February 12, 2010 at 10:12 pm

AMEN! In fact one of the things that is wigging me out in my divorce mess and thinking about finding another guy is that I CANNOT have a sports fiend boyfriend/husband. I won’t tolerate it. I’ve been a video game widow and I’m fine with that but I will not plan my life around football or hunting or golf or any of that crap.

And I wish I cared about the Olympics but I just don’t. Won’t even watch a single event. Lots of Netflix over the next two weeks.

Veronica February 13, 2010 at 1:07 am

I do like the olympics. Maybe it’s because I like sports, but don’t like the mainstream sports much? I like the difference of the olympics.

My partner though, he would agree with you completely. The next fortnight is going to be hell for him.

Susanne February 13, 2010 at 12:29 pm

I don’t like watching football/baseball/basketball/golf either. But I love me some winter Olympics (and road biking) on TV. Not all of it, mind you, but a lot of it, like speed skating and skiing/snowboarding stuff. I get thoroughly sick of some of the media figures and announcing though, so even if mainstream sports are on in the house (rarely), I turn the sound down when my husband leaves the room. Those announcers are stupid and loud.

btss February 13, 2010 at 2:18 pm

I agree with every.single.statement you made. We’re not sports people either, unless we’re there in person, and as for the Olympics? Gah!

Old School/New School Mom February 13, 2010 at 2:32 pm

I don’t care either. It’s not just you! I really don’t care at all. Sometimes I think there is something wrong with me for not caring.

Lisa in NJ February 13, 2010 at 6:56 pm

AMEN!!!!

Siera February 14, 2010 at 12:53 am

I’m indifferent. And I hail from the host city. I’m a ferry ride away and I’m not even sure if I want to go to the free venues and concerts as I don’t want to get caught up in the protests. I’m embarrassed to say I’m a Vancouverite due to the way certain assholes welcome the world to our city.

I don’t agree with the money spent on the games, but if ppl want to enjoy them they should be able to in peace. Happy avoiding them for 2 weeks.

Betty M February 14, 2010 at 7:16 am

Generally you could not persuade me ever to watch sport. The olympics however is the exception. I sit through opening ceremonies, heats for events I know nothing about, hours of skiing, the lot! I am ridiculously excited about the 2012 games coming to London and even got excited by being in Vancouver two summers ago and picking up an Olympics mug for my desk. It is all in the middle of the night for us though so my live viewing will be limited which will be a good thing.

Shelly February 14, 2010 at 9:00 am

I like sports and we watch them often. But the Olympics? Not so much. I don’t mind a few minutes here and there, but the all encompassing 24/7 for TWO WEEKS? I hate to miss good tv for that. Thankfully I’ve been building up the DVR so we have decent stuff to watch.