Getting with the times

by statia on February 16, 2010

I’m often behind the times on pop culture or latest happenings.   Ok, more like, I’m aware of it, but I ignore it and then kind of catch up to it later and then wonder what the hell I was waiting for, and get all gung ho.

Example: Blogher.

The first Blogher conference was held half an hour from my house.  I debated going.  I thought, hey, that might be a cool idea.  But I felt a little awkward about it, mainly because I wasn’t sure if anyone I knew was going, and normally, that might not stop me, however, I was going through a particularly tough summer.   I had just suffered a miscarriage after a very surprise pregnancy, and it completely threw my world off my axis, especially given that someone close to me found out they were pregnant during that time.  It took heavy anti-depressants and a lot of therapy to get through that mess.

So, the short story is, I never ended up going.  And then I heard that the whole thing was kind of weird, and you know, life just kind of happened.   So here I am five years later, and I’m finally getting on the bandwagon.   I spent the last five years being a quiet blogger.   And this year, for some reason, I feel the need to be all OMG, I’m totally into all things social media.   I’m trying to find my individuality after  nearly three straight years of babyhood.

So this year, I’ve purchased my tickets to Blogher, strong armed some roomates, and am ready to abandon leave the kids with the Meester for the weekend.   Who’s going this year?  I’d love to see the faces of the people inside the internet.

Erin February 16, 2010 at 9:47 pm

I’ve been blogging since 2002 and am kind of ashamed to admit that I don’t even really know what Blogher is! I’m such a non-entity of a blogger that I don’t know why I’d go.

Why would I go? (SHOULD I GO? TELL ME!)

Regina Heater February 16, 2010 at 10:05 pm

oooh… I could very well be joining you. I can do NY :)

Tammy February 16, 2010 at 10:06 pm

Hi! I’m Tammy from NJ and I bought my tickets to blogher just a few weeks ago, and I’m sooo excited.(First time going)
It would be cool to met up at some point!
Keep in touch!

Veronica February 17, 2010 at 1:18 am

It’s very likely I am not going. However, if I win one of the international activist scholarships (not likely) then I’ll let you know.

electriclady February 17, 2010 at 8:26 am

I was going to post about this–I don’t think I’m going to BlogHer itself (too “meh” about blogging these days) but the damn thing is in my city this year, so I want to try to meet up with folks at least. (Maybe I’ll buy a parties-only ticket if I feel motivated…) So let’s meet up!

jesser February 17, 2010 at 9:06 am

Excellent idea. However, funds and vacation time are already allocated for the year. :P Stupid constraints of reality.

Ms. Pants February 17, 2010 at 10:22 am

Hear that giant sucking sound? There’s a sphincter involved.

Sphincter is a fun word, no?

Shelly February 17, 2010 at 11:45 am

I have purchased registration but no idea if I can actually go or not (due to hubby not having a job). Man, I’d love you meet you, too!

Yo-yo Mama February 17, 2010 at 10:27 pm

I’m pretty sure I said no one I know can speak about BlogHer. That goes for you, too, electriclady. You girls need to get your listening ears on.

Old School/New School Mom February 19, 2010 at 8:35 am

Talk about behind the times. I STILL can’t figure out blogher. I feel like I must be missing brain cells or something.

I even interviewed one of the COOs to try to figure it out and I still am confused!

I am so sorry to hear about the miscarriage. A friend of mine went through an identical experience recently. I.E. surprise pregnancy and then loss.

Scary.

Anyway, I love your blog, woman. You tell it like it is!

You must have some Sagittarius in your astrological chart to be so blunt. I love it! Keep doing what you’re doing.