Baby Bird

by statia on February 21, 2010

When the Mini was a baby, he ate AN.Y.THING.  It didn’t matter what it was, he was a voracious eater.  It wasn’t something I bragged about, because I’m not that asshole, but I could only empathize with my friends’ kids, who were picky eaters.  I also didn’t brag, because like anything, nothing is forever in babyhood, and sure enough, he stopped eating just about anything.  But overall, he’s always been a pretty decent eater and I can bribe him accordingly and he’ll eat his “begetables.”

Of course, what the Mini made easy for me, LG of course, has to do the opposite, and that includes eating.

My daughter is a shit eater.  And I don’t mean, that she literally eats turds, but that she just doesn’t really eat.   She had her hemoglobin checked at her nine month visit, and it was a little low.  Not terribly so, and it could be, because she was pretty sick last week, but the pediatrician recommended vitamin supplements.  This is a whole new area for me.    I’m not used to a kid who is so discerning about her food choices.  She isn’t a fan of any sort of meat or poultry.   She prefers blueberries, peas, cheese, bananas and those stupid baby puffs.    None of these are particularly rich in protein.  If I put just one thing on her tray and she doesn’t like it, she won’t eat it.

I try not to make it a power struggle, because hello, she’s nine months old, and I already have that shit going on with my three year old.  I’m not about to take that on with someone who can’t even use words yet.

Anyone have any good protein rich recipes?  She doesn’t eat purees, and prefers self feeding, so something that I can give her in smaller chunks would be ideal.

Veronica February 21, 2010 at 10:01 pm

Uhm, am trying to remember my protein rich foods – will she eat beans? Isaac likes beans (thank CHRIST). What about tofu, that’s protein rich I think (and expensive here). Eggs, although getting them to eat the yolks can be fun. Does she like thin slices of chicken breast? Or thigh?

Kids food is hard. I wake up every morning and have minor panic attacks wondering what I’m going to feed them all day that they’ll eat.

Anita February 21, 2010 at 10:11 pm

Have you tried chick peas? My guy LOVES them and cut in half they are agreat finger food.

Jillian February 21, 2010 at 11:05 pm

My two-year-old is attempting to live on molecules. Tonight I got ONE bite of fish into him, and a cracker. He’s still nursing a little bit, which is the only explanation I have for why he isn’t shrinking. Every once in a while we hit something he loves and I am all over it. Last week I went to an Indian restaurant at lunchtime to get him a to-go of saag paneer. That was good for three toddler meals.

I second Veronica’s tofu suggestion. I often have some luck with that, baked usually goes over best.

Shanna February 22, 2010 at 12:38 am

Yeah – beans or tofu. If she doesn’t like the slippery tofu texture, cut it up into chunks, wrap ‘em well (ziploc bag is great), freeze for a few days, then defrost fully and drain before giving to her It’ll have a spongy look and much chewier texture that she may appreciate. Or may hate. Who knows?

jesser February 22, 2010 at 9:13 am

Refried beans (or smashed black beans) are always a big hit, slathered on a tortilla with cheese. Quinoa, though messy, works well too (for us) … we make it up, mix it with this and that (butternut squash, cheese – that helps it not be so messy) and he’s a fan. We also make up muffins with greek yogurt in them … percentage wise, not a ton of protein, but some. He also loves tofu, eggs and (frozen turkey) meatballs. Don’t know if that will help. This whole nutrition thing is a pain in my ass.

girlfiend February 22, 2010 at 9:32 am

Protein rich or iron rich? Both of my boys had low iron and I needed to supplement. F was always a shitty eater (in terms of quantity, not quality for a year, but after that in terms of everything. He just ate 2 carrots for breakfast and he insists he’s not hungry.) T is a decent eater, but he still had low iron.

Neither of them bought into any of the bean or tofu dishes and both will only eat meat on occasion- not including bacon, which will be eaten with relish on all occasions, but eggs sometimes work and these full meal muffins have been a hit with both kids. http://shmooedfood.blogspot.com/2007/02/full-meal-muffins.html

they sound pretty gross when you look at the ingredients,or lack thereof- no fat in muffins? really? but they are actually quite tasty. the blackstrap molasses makes them high in iron and the walnuts add protein. I use white whole wheat flour to make them, not the specialty flours the recipe calls for and I grind the walnuts in the food processor so they don’t get picked out.

Susanne February 22, 2010 at 6:01 pm

We did pretty well with the YoBaby yogurt, and Thomas loves American cheese cubes, but I don’t remember if that’s appropriate for a 9-mo-old (or if there is even any protein in American cheese). I get the Boar’s Head brand, which I hope is better than the plastic-wrapped singles. Thomas’ fave food then, and still a popular one, is avocado. I don’t think it’s protein, but it has good stuff in it and gives him a shiny coat. He’s now 2 yrs and 9 months and still enjoys simple foods (absolutely no sauces, nothing in a sandwich form, no pizza, etc.).

April February 22, 2010 at 7:15 pm

cubed firm tofu. Julian loved it – perfect finger food.

jenG February 22, 2010 at 9:48 pm

Count my vote for tofu, but mainly because her preference seems to trend mushy. Maybe fry it to give it a little snap on the outside?

Are there any rules about babies and tofu? I should look that up before someone asks me to babysit, huh?

btss February 23, 2010 at 12:18 pm

As a kid I LOVED imitation crab meat. Cold, warm, whatever. I loved the stuff. I was one of those weird kids who actually liked healthier foods.

Have you tried chicken nuggets/fingers? You can bake them so they aren’t as bad, but generally kids need the extra caloric intake anyway. You can cut them up into smaller pieces for finger food. It’s one of the only meat sources my friend’s daughter will touch.

Tiffanni February 23, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Sorry, I don’t have any recipes, I just wanted to say Good luck with the eating. Let me know if you figure out any tricks. My 2 year old is not impressed with most foods himself, so I can sympathize.

Beth February 23, 2010 at 4:23 pm

I make blueberry tofu for my kid who only wants to eat yogurt and nothing else but.

Just stick some silken tofu into the food processor with a TON of blueberries. Pour into a dish, wait about an hour and then drain off the liquid. You can then dice it into finger food for her and it tastes JUST LIKE BLUEBERRIES.

My kid has hated eating since minute one, so I totally am right there with you. I could open mouth kiss the makers of Fage greek yogurt almost every day since that’s all he ever wants. Not milk, not fruit, just water and yogurt. He can’t wait to grow up and be a body builder. Heh.

Jen R. (emeraldsunshine.org) February 23, 2010 at 4:40 pm

I’m just glad she doesn’t literally eat shit. Tofu is awesome, but I’m sure you’re aware of some of the effects of soy that are being reported (I haven’t done enough research on it to say one way or another).

As an almost-begetarian (haha), I eat a lot of beans, tofu, faux meat products, mushrooms products, cheese, eggs, etc.

I think one of the most awesome things ever is a cheese and bean quesadilla with spinach in it (raw, not cooked). So good! :) It can be cut up into little bits and maybe she’ll like that?

ewe_are_here February 24, 2010 at 12:32 pm

A problem I am going to be facing myself … Lambchop is a dreadful eater compared to her brothers. Dreadful!

Beth Fish February 24, 2010 at 8:46 pm

I’m raising two vegetarian kids (I’ve offered meat, neither will eat it, which is fine by me). Protein is a piece of cake, let me know if you want a list.