Regression

by statia on December 3, 2009

Part of my raging anxiety, I’ve found out isn’t so much anxiety, but anticipation.  Little Girl turned 6 months old a couple of weeks ago and for the last three to four weeks she hasn’t been sleeping nearly as well as she had been previously.   Because of this, I’ve been having an even harder time falling asleep at night, because I lay there waiting for her to start screaming.

Anyway, I’m not sure if it’s due to teething, or due to the fact that she’s a giant drama queen, but the screaming at night.  Dear god, it’s whipping me.   She’s a much lighter sleeper, so if she so much as taps her head on her crib, she’s up practically trying to drag her little body over towards me to get me to lift her out of her crib, and now that she’s a hefty 21 pounds and is rolling all over the place, the whole co-sleeping thing had to come to an end, much to her dismay.  I miss it, but I don’t miss her kicking me in the tits 87 times a night, or making my arm fall asleep from laying on top of it.

I went back through my archives to see when the Mini went through his sleep regression and hey, you know what?  A lot of this blog is recycled garbage.  I feel as if I wrote all of the same shit, exactly two years ago.   Even though they’re different kids, they have a lot of the same habits.  Like ripping my face off while they fall asleep.

So seriously.  Sleep regression?   I thought that was closer to nine months?  Or because she’s a girl, will I be going through this for the rest of my life?  Because the Mini doesn’t so much as make a peep, once he’s asleep for the night.  He’s going to make the perfect candidate for a good chiefing when he goes off to college.

Did I really black out all of this shit from two years ago?

Shelly December 4, 2009 at 8:18 am

As I’m reading this, it all sounds vaguely familiar. It’s been 3 years for me, but it is all so fuzzy, like I was wasted at the time (would have been more fun that way). I think the blacking out process is the trick – how people keep making more babies. If you remembered all this shit in vivid detail, no one would have more than one kid.

girlfiend December 4, 2009 at 8:39 am

Do you have the Wonder Weeks book? Months 4-9 are filled with one developmental leap after another. My older son’s sleep regression pretty much lasted all the way through those months. He never slept and I was miserable.

My younger son’s sleep issues mostly seemed to be directly related to an actual Wonder Week and each only lasted a few days to a week. But it still sucked, especially since as the youngest he had one mild fever and cold after another his entire first winter, despite the fact that his brother wasn’t even in school yet. And the teeth. God, the teeth. I was much quicker to drug him once I discovered the dye-free varieties now available.

then there was the time I thought my youngest was fussy because he was getting molars, took him to the doctor for his 12 month well visit and learned he had an ear infection. I felt like such an asshole.

Anyway, I sympathize.

statia December 4, 2009 at 8:33 pm

We actually DO have the Wonder Weeks and I thought the same thing, because she’s at about wonder week 26, give or take. But this whole lack of sleep thing has just been insane. I know she’s also got another tooth coming in soon.

I love when you are totally unaware of an ear infection. Hello parent of the year. It’s happened to me a couple of times too.

Tracy December 4, 2009 at 11:26 pm

I will have to check out this wonder weeks book, because OMG…the sleeping has not been good ever since the 4 month shots. She got a little better, but then the last week or so? SHOOT ME. I caved on good sleep habits and brought her to bed with us. I can only do the rocking to calm her and trying to put her back to bed so many times before I want to open a vein. UGH.

Beth December 5, 2009 at 4:11 pm

Sleep regression?!?! What? I haven’t heard of this. Crap. I’m just trying to get through the six months whining. Oh dear god the whhiiinnninnggg. It’s constant. And I thought 4 months was bad. Ugh.

Siera December 6, 2009 at 7:32 pm

My son sleep gets better, regresses, better, regresses. better, regresses. You see the pattern… He is 20 months old will go a week or 2 sleeping through the night or up once. And it regresses. I don’t know WTF to do. He is still teething and the latest ones have been a bitch. I can only offer my empathy as I am right there with you. He has only slept well from 2-4 months when I started formula before bed and then stopped sleeping well. MIL said I needed to start solids, I did and he slept like shit. I don’t know if you are still BF or bottle feeding or what works for you. I don’t necessarily think bottled fed babies sleep better than BF babies but I found the more formula i could get into him the longer he slept. Maybe it’s growth spurt…