My cup overfloweth

by statia on December 26, 2009

Along with my living room, my family room AND my garage.   The Mini got so many gifts this year, that I’m tempted to start a home project of closing off my two story family room to make an extra room upstairs to be dedicated to all of the toys we have.   I thought it was bad having one kid, but having two means that the grandparents buy four times the amount of shit that makes noise.   We spent a good portion of the day removing batteries from toys.  And the irony of all of this is that we were brilliant parents this year, thinking: “wouldn’t it be totally awesome to buy him a drum set?”  Drums!  He LOVES drums!   He’s going to be a musical genius!!!  Get the boy some drums!

And of course, along with any type of vehicle, the drums were a hit (badum bum! HA!…HA!).   So far he hasn’t wanted to practice drum solos at 3AM, but then again, he’s tired from two days worth of festivities without naps.

Little Girl obviously didn’t really care about Christmas.     She did however care about any sort of wire or ornament hanging off the tree.   She loved wrapping paper, and anything that belonged to her brother and could easily fit in her mouth.   Because of this, I bought her a couple of things and then recycled toys from the basement.  She could care less about any of it.  She is perfectly fine with her old toys and of course, power cords.  As the Mini banged on his drums at the ripe hour of 7:30, she looked at me like, “oh Jesus, is this going to go on ALL day?”

I really didn’t expect much for Christmas this year, just because we now try to focus our Christmas budget on the kids, but I did manage to get the shock of my life when my husband surprised me with one of these.   Some women prefer diamonds.  I prefer my shiny to be in the form of technology.  Although, I would never turn down diamonds. But seriously,  I have the best husband on the planet.

So, what did everyone else get?   Anyone returning any appliqué sweaters this year?

Yo-yo Mama December 27, 2009 at 12:25 am

A Kindle!Yippee!!

A Locket…uh, yeah. I want one really bad, but I’m not quite sure I care for it BUT I don’t want to hurt my husband’s feelings by asking him to return it.

Mamma Pants December 27, 2009 at 6:40 am

Congratulations on the iMac Statia! Sarah was so surprised she cried. Always the sign of a successful Christmas!

statia December 27, 2009 at 11:26 am

I totally had a feeling you had one up your sleeve for her too. I don’t know why. Maybe because you’re the bees knees.

Shelly December 27, 2009 at 9:06 am

Oooh, pretty iMac! I am on the hunt for a lovely applique sweater for next year. I’m determined to find the ugliest one and I want to wear it to a holiday party next year and pretend I think it’s quite beautiful. No idea why I’ve become so focused on doing this. Maybe I need more excitement in my life.

Regina Heater December 27, 2009 at 4:16 pm

Got a dslr – never, ever, thought that would magically appear under the tree. But Santa thought I was good this year. :) I love that you recycled some toys for LG… if only all parents had that perspective!

jesser December 27, 2009 at 8:47 pm

Glad you got such an excellent gift. The kids were (duh) completely overwhelmed. Matt’s parents, sister and BIL came to town and there were an insane amount of toys and clothes for the kids. I’m glad they are so generous, but I had to build a new shelf for all the new toys! I even got rid of some before the holidays started.

As for me, I got a ski pass earlier in the year (yay!) and some various odds and ends, including a custom camera strap and a couple of games … and a shiny new basement (in a couple of weeks hopefully!).

Aunt Becky December 28, 2009 at 12:03 am

I got a bunch of really useful stuff which is a sign that I am full of BORINGNESS. But I got the world’s tackiest shit from my MIL. As usual. I can’t even describe it because it’s so awful. It’s a wall hanging from Kohl’s.

Siera December 28, 2009 at 12:43 am

My MIL usually too gets me useless stuff… she sees a deal in July and buys it at 75% off and it’s my Xmas gift… this year wasn’t too bad. One year my SIL and I got matching pocket jewelry (like a nurses watch but not) and I am thinking WTF is this and my SIL has perfected “it’s beautiful!” with sincerity. This year I hand crocheted dish clothes from MIL (much needed) and clothes/face steamer most needed to save on energy and an el cheapo knife set “you’ll never have to buy any knives again” says MIL via video conference.

My sweetie scored points with a hoodie and capri yoga pants from Lulu Lemon.