Get off my damn lawn.

by statia on December 7, 2009

The inevitable has happened.

I’m no longer a kid.  No, wait, let me rephrase that.  I’m no longer a kid at heart.   I was driving yesterday and realized, that video games no longer interest me.  And I wondered, when did this happen?  I used to love to waste weekends away, playing video games until the wee hours of the morning.

I realize that now that I have kids, staying up that late will just lead to extreme exhaustion and therefore anger and frustration on my part.

And I wonder when I became so fuddy duddy.  I don’t want my having kids mean that I can no longer suffer from Peter Pan syndrome.  I don’t want to forget it what it’s like to be a kid.  I think my days go by in such a blur that it’s hard for me to imagine anything else outside of the daily monotany that is juggling two small kids.

I need more video games in my life.

Anybody else feel this funk?

Bonnie December 7, 2009 at 5:24 pm

My (maybe) future husband calls me an old person because I go to bed before 10pm and wake up around 4am-ish. He’s older than me so I want to smack him.

donna December 7, 2009 at 5:26 pm

Every night when I pop a sleeping pill at 8:30 and head upstairs to bed at about 9:15. Because I know the kid will wake up at 6 so I need to get into bed as early as possible.

jesser December 7, 2009 at 10:48 pm

I have to admit I feel a bit … stupid spending time playing video games. Like I could/should be doing something important/useful. Usually it passes. ;)

Kristin December 8, 2009 at 5:37 am

One day this summer I actually yelled, “Get off my lawn” to a group of high school aged girls. I felt like an asshole after. I don’t even know why I cared. I have since reclaimed some of my playfulness…I hope.

Amy December 8, 2009 at 7:44 am

A lot has to do with the age of your kids. For a LONG while I gained no enjoyment from the stuff I used to waste a weekend doing. As they got older and school age it got better. Especially as soon as they were old enough to start appreciating video games and didn’t seem to need constant attention. They are 11 and 8 now and for the past few years it’s been a blast and I feel as if I’ve regressed slightly as far as maturity level, but in a totally good, welcome way.

It does get better, and it does come back, but it might take a while.

Shannon December 8, 2009 at 4:46 pm

I’m with Donna. I think – after putting the kids to bed, making dinner, tidying up, doing laundry, and having a glass of wine – that I could either fire up Sims3 for a few hours or pop a melatonin and get a head start on the massive backlog of lack of sleep I have.

Dude. Having kids doesn’t make us old. Being old makes us old.

Lisa in NJ December 11, 2009 at 9:49 am

OH YES I feel the same way. I like what Shannon said though, I will have to remember that.

Mina December 17, 2009 at 8:13 am

Schedule in our home:
2.5 year old is asleep by 8 (ideally)
32 year old husband is asleep by 9
33 year old pregnant wife tosses and turns from 9:30 to 10.

We ALL love sleep in our house.