Oink Oink

by statia on November 9, 2009

I went to bed a couple of Thursdays ago with a sore throat, and nothing else.   It stayed that way for two days and on Saturday, I took a total nose-dive off the healthy wagon and started to feel flu-ish.  I’m only guessing it was flu-ish, because I’ve never had the flu, but I was cold, and then hot, and feeling general malaise.

Sometime throughout the night, I started to feel like the surface of the sun.  I can’t remember the last time I had a fever, maybe seven?  So feeling like that, sucked.  I spent most of the day in bed on Sunday and by Monday, while I was a little weak, was feeling human again.   My mother of course asked “IS IT THE SWINE FLU?”  Which of course, at this point, does it really matter?  Seriously.

Now, because we don’t get the flu in this house, and we’re overall, a healthy family, neither of us subscribes to a belief in the flu shot.  Our kids aren’t in daycare.  We (most of the time anyway, save for this week, HELLO 70 DEGREES, let me punch you in the face) live in the crap hole that is Pennsylvania weather, which is usually rain, rain and more rain.  I don’t know why people make jokes about Seattle being the rainy city, because it rains here just as often.  We don’t get out much in the winter, is what I’m trying to say.

I guess now, however, I can stop being all cocky and saying “well, I just don’t get the flu.”  Because that winning streak is over.  I had a nice run.  Better than the Yankees.

Despite actually getting the flu, I don’t regret not getting the flu shot.  My body did exactly as it was supposed to to fight off the illness.  I stayed hydrated, slept a lot and made sure to take care of myself.  I’m not saying this is foolproof, but I still stand by my decision not to vaccinate against the flu.  And with all of this hulabaloo over H1N1 and it possibly being a mandated vaccination, it bothers me that I may not have that choice.  It also bothers me that there’s that whole comfort in numbers mentality.  Think like I do.   If you feel the need to get the flu vaccine, that’s your choice, and I don’t have any problem with your belief, but jesus, get off your damn soap box*.

*not pointed at anyone in particular.

Merrin November 9, 2009 at 10:38 pm

AMEN. The flu shot in general is a crap shoot, as it protects against a single strain which may or may not be the strain that’s pervasive for that particular vaccine year. Doctors give an educated guess as to which strain is going to show up, and vaccine is then manufactured and distributed. There’s solid evidence that H1N1 is striking young kids because they have been over-vaccinated/given too many antibiotics, and therefore their bodies haven’t had to develop a resistance. There are definitely some people who should receive the vaccine, but, just like my doctor says, healthy non-pregnant women aren’t in that group. Good for you for sticking to your guns.

statia November 9, 2009 at 10:51 pm

I totally don’t begrudge anyone who feels more comfortable getting themselves or their children vaccinated. I mean, everyone has a different circumstance, but like you, I think there are too many vaccines out there. Are all kids affected the same way? No, but some are sensitive to it. Mini had the flu right after me. LG, so far, hasn’t even displayed signs of getting sick. She’s had no vaccinations as of yet. Probably just coincidence. Who knows. All I know is that I’m not getting either of them vaccinated against the flu.

Siera November 10, 2009 at 1:01 am

So many topics as a parent are taboo. You never know what is the right or wrong thing to do. I did get Aaron his H1N1 vaccine, but was very leery of it at first but an incident regarding H1N1 up here changed my mind. I’ve staggered his vaccines, and to date he hasn’t had his MMR or Chicken Pox vaccines, I am waiting until he is 2. I hope this is the right decision and hope I don’t regret it later.

Btw can I read your protected post?

Beth Fish November 10, 2009 at 7:49 am

I’m totally opposed to flu shots too, except for the part where I and probably both of my kids have asthma. Whole different ball game, and the reason I get all of us stuck every year.

Glad you are feeling better, hope nobody else succumbs.

Steph November 10, 2009 at 8:26 am

Ditto – same exact words coulda left my own mouth. Except the daycare part and the seven part. But its been awhile.

statia November 10, 2009 at 12:34 pm

@Siera, You never know if the decision you make is the “right” one. I don’t think there is such a thing when it comes to parenthood. But you’re doing what’s right for you.

@Beth, yeah, Asthma would probably make me think twice too. I have it and probably should get the shot, but I don’t. I’m badass like that.

Mina November 10, 2009 at 1:12 pm

I completely agree with you. The decision is yours. I had the flu once when I was in college and it was the worst experience ever. I was sick on and off for 3 weeks (never even went to the doctor)! I now get the flu shot regularly as does my two year old. But my two year old also goes to daycare all day long and gives hugs and kisses to snotty nosed little kids all day long. Last winter, every kid in his class was sick for 3 to 4 days each over a 2 week period. My son had a fever of 100 for one day and was back in school the next. Was it the flu shot? No clue. But it does seem like the flu shot doesn’t HURT him which is why he’ll continue to get one.

I do agree with you completely though. It’s up to you. You know your body and your children’s body better then other people.

Flicka November 22, 2009 at 1:06 pm

I never get the flu shot either. Once in a very great while I’ll get the flu (once every seven years or so) but not often enough for me to feel like it’s worth it to get the shot. Sarge gets the shot every winter and almost every winter he gets the flu in spite of it. It really is a crapshoot.

We did get Sam both the H1N1 and the seasonal flu shot because of his past lung issues. Two different pediatricians exhaled with relief when I told them we did so I felt better and better about the decision after the fact, like maybe he was sicker last year than I knew. Crazy stuff, this flu. You gotta go with your gut, exactly like you were saying. None of this mandatory hoo ha.

Flicka November 22, 2009 at 1:09 pm

PS~ Can I be in on the PWP thing too? Please? I’ll say nice things about you on FB.

tuesday November 23, 2009 at 1:06 pm

glad you feel better. Don’t get my started on the H1N1 vaccine or any brand new mandated vaccine. UGH.

pixielation November 27, 2009 at 7:23 am

I agree with not getting the flu shot if you’re not a person at high risk from that type of illness. I’ve had the flu twice in my life, and both times I was in bed for a week. But I’m 39, and so 2 bouts of the flue in 39 years is probably better than over 30 vaccinations of different types of flu germs.

pixielation November 27, 2009 at 7:23 am

Pam November 27, 2009 at 3:50 pm

I’ve gotten the regular flu shot in the past, but not for a couple of years. My DH and I aren’t getting the H1N1 mostly because he doesn’t feel it’s necessarily safe. I also heard that those of us who are older have more immunity to it and don’t necessarily need it. Who knows what is right.

On a separate note Statia, when did you go password protected on some posts? I’ve been reading since before you had The Mini (although may not comment often) and if allowed, would love the password. Thanks. Pam.