I’ve got a fever…

by statia on September 24, 2009

Those of you who are all BFF with me over on facebook will know that I’ve spent the last 24 hours in the hospital with Little Girl.

On Monday, I gushed about how happy LG is.

On Monday night, LG decided to be cranky and inconsolable.   It was uncharacteristic of her, and I chalked it up to it probably being a Wonder Week, as she seemed to be displaying all the typical signs.

On Tuesday, she was spitting up with more force (I guess projectile vomiting would probably be more accurate), but given the fact that this kid spits up her weight in liquids daily, I didn’t think anything of it.  On Tuesday night, she refused to go to bed.  She cried every time I tried to put her down, until finally, I just gave up, put her next to me in bed, and then slept all crooked, while she fitfully jammed her appendages into my organs.

Yesterday, she went back to sleep after waking up at 5, and I had to prod her out of bed at 8:30, where she promptly went back to sleep less than a half an hour later.

I took her temperature all three days, and only once, did she register a temperature, not a fever, but a temperature of 99.1°.   We went over to our friends house to let the kids play and she was fine until lunch time.  And then she proceeded to shiver, and then her hands and feet turned blue.

The pediatrician saw us and after I paid 15 bucks for them to tell me she had a 103.9° temperature, she told me to head over to the ER so they could run tests to see if she had the flu.  She was so hot, that she was literally making me sweat.

Over in the ER, I watched in horror as they drew blood, and then catheterized her to get a urine sample.

Her tests came back that she had a UTI and a kidney infection and they would have to admit her to give her antibiotics and run more tests to rule out other bigger problems.

In the grand scheme of things, it’s so not a big deal.  It could have been so much worse, other kids are much sicker than mine, blahde blah blah.

But the Mini has never had more than two fevers ever, and they never went above 101°, so to see my poor four month old baby turn blue and shiver, well pardon me, but it was really fucking scary.  Especially given the fact that this kid farts rainbows and puppies on a regular basis, she’s just that happy.    We’re hoping to leave here in a little bit.   The nurses on the pediatric floor are super nice and it’s obvious that they love kids, especially babies as cute as my own.  But I’ll tell you, I never want to see the inside of this floor again.

Kath September 24, 2009 at 3:27 pm

Oh, jeez, Statia, I’m so sorry to hear this. I can only imagine how hard and frightening it to watch your little girl get so ill. Get better soon, Rainbow Girl.

Dotty September 24, 2009 at 3:43 pm

Oh my gosh! I don’t care if it “could be so much worse”. There’s nothing more terrible than seeing your little one so small, sick and helpless. I’m sorry you had to go through that.

I have spent several nights in the ER and on the pediatric floor of the hospital with my little girl. It’s never fun. I hope she’s back to farting rainbows really soon.

jesser September 24, 2009 at 3:44 pm

Damn. That’s rotten luck! This is similar to what happened to us with Tabby at about the same age … only no hospitalization. 2 years+ later that girl has had more catheters than I care to count. Everytime she has even a teensy fever they want to cath her and see if she’s got a UTI. Hasn’t had one since. So sorry that you’re going through this with your little one! Not fun! I hope you never see that floor again either!

Shelly September 24, 2009 at 6:32 pm

Oh my gosh. I am so sorry. How does this even happen? I she heals soon and you get to bring your baby back home!

Sarah September 24, 2009 at 6:36 pm

Oh no! I am so sorry – that really sucks. We’ve been occupants on the peds floor a few times and it blows big time. I know things could always be worse, but I feel you with never wanting to be in there. And if you are there it IS a big deal!

Hope she feels better soon – and the rainbows come back.

Regina September 24, 2009 at 7:20 pm

sending you love, my friend. i’ll be praying, cause that’s my way :)

DD September 24, 2009 at 10:12 pm

Urk! I had to watch my son, who was then 6, get a catheter and that was gut and heart wrenching. Your little baby girl…at least she won’t remember. XBoy STILL talks about that experience.

I’m glad to see that you are both home again.

Ssfb September 24, 2009 at 10:47 pm

Oh my lord how frightening! I’m so glad she getting better. Nothing scares me in the ER quite like a sick baby. 103.9 Jesus Statia that’s awful! Poor little girl!!!! I hope she’s back to farting rainbows in no time!

ewe_are_here September 25, 2009 at 3:52 am

Scary scary scary. But it sounds like you handled it brilliantly. I hope she’s home soon, farting rainbows and puppies. :-)

MsPrufrock September 25, 2009 at 6:02 pm

Ugh, jeebus. Turning blue? I’d lose my shit. Totally.

I hope she’s better soon, which no doubt she will be.