Now with more boringness

by statia on August 12, 2009

I love how I’ve let this place go.  Everything in this shriveled up brain of mine is getting lost somewhere between me thinking “Oh, it would be funny if I blogged that,” to:  “what the hell was I going to say again?” In fact, I have no idea what sort of sputtering sentence fragments are shooting from my fingers right now, it’s all just pouring blindly from my brain, down my arms and out of my hands.

And I probably don’t remember because every day is Groundhog day in this house.   Except, as the Meester pointed out, it’s not, because at least Bill Murray could find interesting ways to kill himself on a daily basis.

We moved the Mini into his bed, and it has been steadily downhill ever since.   I really and truly did not want to move him into the bed, but Little Girl was outgrowing the co-sleeper, and it was time to bounce the kid from our room and get her into her own space.  I’d have considered the pack n’ play in our room, but we were sick of having to tip toe around at night, as she’s a much lighter sleeper than the Mini is.  And on top of that, she hates the pack n’ play.   She much prefers our bed and it’s usually where she ends up after that middle of the night feeding.

Since moving him into a bed, he’s stopped napping.  Which has made our lives a living hell.  He needs the naps, but because he knows he can get out of bed, he prefers to go through and read every single book, or play with every single stuffed animal.   Because of the lack of naps, he is a ripe asshole in some way, shape or form.   It’s exhausting.  He’s either insanely hyper and defiant, or he’s meltdown central, crying over every single thing imaginable.   If anyone has any sort of ideas on how to get him to nap that doesn’t involve duct tape or drugs, I’ll gladly listen.   Hell, I might listen if you do have creative ideas with duct tape.

On the upside, the LG has taken to her crib pretty well.  She generally only gets up once a night.  The time varies, but she ends up sleeping later in the mornings because she’s glomed onto me.   She is HUGE.   And I mean huge.  She’ll be three months next week and she’s probably 25 inches and she weighs nearly 16 pounds.   She is outgrowing 3-6 month clothes.  This is fucking insane.   I thought she’d be all dainty and shit like I was as a baby.   She will most likely end up on cereal early because she’s already eyeing up my pork chops and practically able to grab them.   She’s about ready to roll over.  She can get to her side, but not all the way flipped over.   Overall, she’s a happy baby.   Except for bedtime, in which she has a breakdown in the way only a woman can.  Complete with a sound that resembles a demonic angry chipmunk trying to catch its breath.

And because I don’t want to disappoint you with another lame entry about my kids.  I leave you with something funny.   A quick recording of the Mini saying swamp taint.   Who says kids aren’t good for something.   Polly want a cracker?

Swamp Taint! (and thanks to the iPhone’s new voice recorder, stay tuned for more of these little gems).

Erin August 12, 2009 at 8:54 pm

Charlotte stopped napping pretty much when she went into a bed about a year ago – but I still put her in her bed every day for an hour of “quiet” time (which in reality is anything but quiet.) I ended up moving her bedtime up almost an hour when she quit napping which helped tremendously in the ripe asshole department. Good luck.

Ann Marie August 12, 2009 at 10:51 pm

Dude I just had one of those days with my son, except he is only 16 months and can’t be defiant purposely (or can he? Shit I dunno, but it’s been a day and then some.)

jesser August 13, 2009 at 11:23 pm

Ummmm… yea. With ya on this one. Tabby has her good and bad days, but she usually reappears after I put her down for her nap at least once. Ben is going on solids soon for the same reason … and to hopefully get him sleeping better at night. I am so sick of being exhausted. Tabby slept through the night at 2.5 months. Last night he woke up FOUR TIMES. WTF?

ewe_are_here August 14, 2009 at 2:46 am

Your Mini is exctly the same age as my Boo, and Boo definitely needs naps at least 2-3 days a week. I suggest either putting a stair gate in his doorway (spring loaded; not permanent) and removing all toys and books if possible, or letting him tuck in somewhere else for naptime as a special treat (couch? your bed?), perhaps with a low key somewhat boring television program on that he’ll nod off to. I use this trick sometimes with Boo; he thinks he’s getting a special tv treat, I know he’ll nod off within 10 minutes when he’s that wiped out. Works for both of us.
Might be worth shot… I wish you luck.

Funny that your wee girl is going to be a BIG girl; our Boo is our number two and is the BIG one (though number one wasn’t exactly dainty, heh heh). But our new wee girl, (who is about month behind yours)? She, surprisingly, is dainty. Spookily strong, but dainty. Strange…

Camille August 14, 2009 at 9:17 am

Not that this will necessarily help you, but……If I remember correctly, we stopped G’s naps not long after he turned two. His bedtime had been 8:30, which was a routine I liked, and he was getting to where he didn’t want to go to bed at night so I cut out his naps and bedtime routine was back to normal. However, I did make him have rest time at some point during the day. He could lay down in the living room and watch a movie, but he had to lay there and rest – he couldn’t get up and play, otherwise I threatened (and followed through when necessary) a nap. He ended up getting his 11 hours of sleep at night and the rest during the day was enough to help him get through the afternoon with no meltdowns.

Tracy August 14, 2009 at 1:40 pm

Like Erin said, with Kelsey I quit stressing about her nap being IN the bed, and just told her she had to have quiet time in her room. She would usually end up crashed out in a pile of stuffed animals, or with a book (from looking at pictures). I just let her freestyle it – with the only caveat that it had to be quiet time. But, I only had one to worry about at the time!

Flicka August 16, 2009 at 11:48 am

I’m delaying Sam’s move to a big boy bed for as long as I possibly can. That kid might be five and still in a crib the way things are going right now. I don’t have any advice, just lots of empathy.

Donna August 16, 2009 at 7:56 pm

Maybe you shouldn’t have changed the name of your blog? Other than that, I got nothing.

MsPrufrock August 28, 2009 at 6:44 pm

My kid is only interested in napping on weekdays before dinner, which is the time we don’t want her to nap. Weekends? No way stupid parents! She’s not napping for shit! I could commit her to a hard labour camp for an entire weekend and she would give me the finger and then go run a marathon. It kills me sometimes.

I love you for “swamp taint” by the way. I accidentally opened the clip in another window, forgot about it, and it loaded randomly later and scared the crap out of me. SWAMP TAINT!

{ 1 trackback }