Wrapped around my finger (or, I was a better parent, before I had kids).

by statia on July 3, 2009

I hate to sound like that asshole, but when you have kids, you will totally do things that you never thought you’d do.  Yesterday, I sat the Mini down in front of the TV with lunch, just so I could feed Little Girl, and also get some peace and quiet.   That’s not the worst thing I’ve done as a parent, but you get the idea.

One of the things that we didn’t do with the Mini and I swore that I’d never do, was co-sleep.  No, that’s not entirely true.  We did occasionally co-sleep when he a baby, if we went on vacation somewhere.  It was much easier than bringing a pack n’ play.  But he has always slept in his own crib, right from the get go.  Little Girl has been in a co-sleeper in our room, one, because I believe that your second child is a way for you to redo all the mistakes you made with your first (not that making him sleep in his own crib was a  mistake) and two, the Mini is still in the crib and I refused to buy another crib for a whole two or three months of use.   On top of the fact that she’s sleeping in our room,  she is a crappy sleeper overall, and when 4:30 rolls around and she’s fighting the sleep and hooting and hollering, we often drag her into bed with us.

It’s often said, that you can’t spoil and infant, and I think that’s a lie.   Little Girl is already very aware, and also completely happy sleeping in our bed.  Last night, she looked at me with this wide eyed grin as if to say, “you mean I get to sleep here ALL NIGHT?”  And when we put her in her co-sleeper, she made a point to make a lot of noise until we relented and pulled her back into our bed, at which point, she looked at me, smiled and promptly passed out, until I finally dragged her out of bed unwillingly at 8am.    She’s not even 7 weeks old and already has firm opinions.   I am so very screwed when she gets older.  I see a lot of princess like attire during her formative years.

Anita July 3, 2009 at 6:13 pm

Do what works for you and LG. I have made a lot of concessions with G, much more then I ever did with our first two. I think it is mainly due to how long it took to have him, the ups and downs that came with ART and knowing he is our last. I am trying to keep him a baby and he is doing everything in his power to grow up.

Meredith July 3, 2009 at 8:31 pm

I know EXACTLY how that goes… The fact just is, I really like sleep, and I get more of it when I cosleep.

Amy July 4, 2009 at 8:31 am

I still don’t consider that spoiled, I call it meeting her needs! Good for you.

Mina July 6, 2009 at 7:24 am

My thought process is like Meredith. I need my sleep and the amount of less sleep I’d get to ensure he slept in his room/crib was just not worth it to me.

jesser July 6, 2009 at 8:43 am

Spoiled schmoiled. Do what works, just like the rest of us. We co-sleep when we need to and since my sleep just ain’t as good when we do, I transition to pack’n'play (or back to crib) ASAP. But that’s what works for US. Good luck to you.

motel manager July 6, 2009 at 10:17 pm

We are having such a similar experience in terms of sleeping. #2 is still coming into our room at 4/5/6 every morning. Tonight, we’re cutting him off. I’m scared to see what happens, but I’m starting a new job in a week and just need to have this sleep shit figured out. In any case, you don’t need to worry about it at 7 weeks — he’s 5 1/2 months.

robyn July 8, 2009 at 12:12 pm

If God didn’t intend for them to catch some TV time so we could multi-task, he wouldn’t have invented Yo Gabba Gabba, Pixar and TiVo. Hang in there!

Tonya July 10, 2009 at 1:51 am

All that stuff I swore I’d never do with my daughter (dress her in pink, think it’s cute when she dresses up all Princess-y, etc.) yeah, about that… Go figure. She looks damn good in pink, and who the hell am I to tell her that she’s dressing up like some helpless female stereotype? Some day, sure, but not yet. :)

Linda July 13, 2009 at 10:53 pm

Hey! You had another when I wasn’t paying attention. Holy crap! A gazillion congrats to you and the other half…and I wish you some SLEEP!