I Was hoping for a least a little spooning.

by statia on April 1, 2009

The Mini, who has generally been a decent nighttime sleeper, has decided that sleeping is for schmucks.  Sure we’ve had our regressions and difficult nights, especially during the teething times.  I won’t pretend to be smug and act like it’s been all unicorn farts and candy, but in the grand scheme of things, he goes down easy and sleeps generally 11-11.5 hours a night.  I get inconsisent naps, but bedtime is generally a constant.

Anyway, as of late, he’s started making this god awful annoying noise, similar to the most annoying sound in the world, but probably worse as he does it to fall asleep and when he’s waking up, for upwards of up to an hour.  Or as of late, in the middle of the night, for upwards of four hours.   Which makes me want to hurt myself, or put myself violently out of my misery.   With a new baby coming, this is kind of an inconvenient time for him to be waking up and singing and making annoying noises.  I’m just saying.  He doesn’t seem to agree,  though (damn kids, always disagreeing).   I thought it was teeth, or the adjustment of going to school, or the fact that he had a cold, or maybe a combination of all three.   So I hauled him over to his pediatrician thinking she’d have some magic reason.  Nope, I paid 15 bucks for her to tell me “it’s just a phase” and that basically we’re pretty much fucked until he decides to move onto something else.    That was a nice how do you do.   And I didn’t even get a reach around.

So, we just deal with the exhaustion and I’ll cry a little knowing that it’ll probably be a long time before I ever sleep again.

And with that, I’m asking the three of you that still read this crap, for advice.  Not on sleeping, on diapering.  Currently, we do both cloth and disposables with the Mini (cloth at home and sometimes out and about, and disposables at night and at school).   We use pocket diapers exclusively, so I’ve never really used anything else.   So here’s where you come in.   I’ve started my stash with #2.  I’m leaning towards fitteds when fetus 2.0 is younger, and maybe a few all in ones for out and about.  I’m not really going to mess with prefolds, as I don’t want to make it more confusing than it has to be.  I tend to be pretty streamline.  Currently, I have some kissaluvs and Imse Vimse flannelette fitteds and a couple of covers.   If there’s anyone out there who cloth diapers, I’d love to hear what your favorites are in the following:

• fitteds
  • covers
  • doublers
  • all in ones

Maybe when the second one is older, I’ll use pockets again, but right now, there are times where I get lazy and don’t get around to stuffing them after washing,  and I don’t really want to deal with that right now.  So spill it.  I rarely ask for advice, because I hate being told what to do, so consider this an opportunity, if you will.

girlfiend April 1, 2009 at 8:51 pm

I started off with 2 1/2 dozen prefolds, 12 KL0s, a few one size cuddlbuns, some bumgenius AIOs and a ton of pockets. The small pocket diapers were a little too big at first so for the first month we mostly just used the pfs and the fitteds.

I hated fitteds. Hated them with a passion. They were disgustingly, sopping wet after every pee. Unsnapping them made me cringe every time. I stopped using them almost immediately and sold them soon as my son fit into the bumgenius and fuzzi bunz.

AIOs were not worth the effort. They’re fine for the diaper bag, but they take forever to dry and they aren’t as absorbent as pockets. I wanted to like them, but ended up selling all of my AIOs too.

I know you’re not interested, but for a newborn prefolds were far superior to fitteds in every way. Folded in thirds with XS Thirsties covers there were no leaks out the legs or the tops. The baby outgrew the XS thirsties right around the time he started fitting into medium size pockets. They lasted for a lot longer than I expected.

girlfiend April 1, 2009 at 8:56 pm

and i like babykicks joey bunz doublers. Why do cloth diaper people have to be so “clever” with their names?

ssfb April 2, 2009 at 12:03 am

Oh good, I’m looking forward to responses, because I actually went and looked at your safemama site for something about cloth diapers. While I don’t have kids yet we’re thinking in the not too far future and I’m interested in the whole cloth diaper thing… I’m just totally clueless about it and it seems like there’s oh 9832 options, and it’s a big investment for something you don’t really have a concept of until you use them.

Chris April 2, 2009 at 10:14 am

Sleep? What’s that?

Meredith April 2, 2009 at 3:38 pm

Okay, this response is going to officially make me the most obnoxious person ever. I was meaning to respond to you waaay earlier to tell you that I’m having a very different experience the second time around with the Kissaluvs. As you know, I loved them with Finn– they fit his little newborn body perfectly, had a great cut out for the cord, and worked great. With Cullen, however, they have not worked as well. He’s a heavier wetter AND a heavier sleeper. They just can’t withstand three or four hours of being worn, so I’d have to wake him to change him. And even when I change him every hour or two as I try to do when he’s not having a nice, long sleep, they are just soaking wet. He actually started to get a diaper rash twice in them. Since he’s so big (already pushing 11 pounds), I’m about to get out my small fuzzi bunz and try them on him– I didn’t use them with Finn until he was about 12 weeks old, but then, he was a much smaller baby.

As for covers, I’ll again second the first poster’s opinion– I like thirsties a lot. They feel nice, wash well, and hold in the pee. The xs size seem pretty big to me– they are quite a bit bigger than my Bummis or prowraps covers– but they fit Cullen great over a Kissaluv or a prefold.

Oh, and for doublers, I’ve always used another Fuzzi Bunz insert (although I know you don’t like Fuzzi Bunz– my gain!)

mrs spock April 2, 2009 at 7:45 pm

I had some Kissaluvs and Little Beetle Hemp fitteds, and I didn’t care for them. My son peed right through them. I had a few AIOs, and ended up hating them too ( a few WAHM ebay ones , plus a Swaadlebee or two.) We ended up loving prefolds with Snappis and Thirsties covers during the newborn phase. They were easy to spray out and wash. We never folded them in any special way, other than to fold the front down so they’d fit. Once he was older, we preferred the Fuzzi Bunz and Bumgenius 3.0. My son is a super soaker, and we have liked Babykicks and Joey Bunz hemp liners. For night-time, I LOVE the Little Beetle wool soakers, both the velcro and short styles. They never leak. I might wash it every 2 months, unless it gets pooey. We air itr on the wondowsill during the day, and that works fine. We hated Bummis covers (they wicked moisture to the leg seams), and have never had a blowout with Thirsties covers. My son is 11 months and still in medium size Thirsties.

statia April 2, 2009 at 10:18 pm

I’m definitely not using AIO’s for anything other than being out and about, or when we have a sitter, and I’m not going to add more than maybe 2 or 3 to my stash. I know they’re more hassle than they’re worth.

Also, I’m not really a big fan of one-size diapers. I have a Bum Genius that the Mini has outgrown. The rise just doesn’t fit him right. That and I hate aplix. Aplix and I are not friends.

Kevin Donahue April 3, 2009 at 12:08 pm

As you well know, I have no experience in this arena at all. That said… (what? people who have no fng clue give advise all the time – why are you looking at me that way?) … I can tell you that my kid is going to wear swimmers – ALL THE TIME. You can never be too prepared and (if I’m being 100% honest) I’m probably not going to be good at diapering, so I certainly don’t want to do that shit twice just because baby bottoms wants to swimmie.

Faith April 3, 2009 at 12:08 pm

Holy crap…after you stopped talking about the sleeping issues, its like your blog suddenly switched over to being in German. I don’t understand!!! AUGH!

Sorry I can’t help! Our dogs just go out in the yard to do their thang. Maybe that would work for the new baby?…

Hilary April 4, 2009 at 10:24 am

I used Motherease exclusively, and then handed them off to my friend who had twins. Loved them.

All the best to you.

Flicka April 5, 2009 at 8:18 am

We are exclusively a BumGenius family so I don’t know how much help I’m going to be to you here. (Well, BumGenius and disposables.)

When Sam was little a friend lent me every type of cloth diaper known to mankind to let me try them out. I echo Girlfiend on the fitteds, I hhhhhhated them. They made Sam wet everywhere and I felt like if I kept going with them he’d have gotten rashy, which is actually what happened to my friend’s son. M. uses fitteds and AIOs with her son and while I’m sure you can use them sucessfully, Jacob ALWAYS had this angry red yeast infection creeping up his tummy and down his legs. I mean, it was monster huge. Pretty much put me off those types of diapers for life. AIOs took forever to dry, too.

I know you want to stay away from the prefolds but they were my second choice after the BumGenius. They’re cheap and the learning curve is pretty shallow; it doesn’t take long to figure out how to fold them and once you’ve got it it’s second nature.

That’s all I’ve got. I’ll be interested to hear what you decide to do.

shanna April 17, 2009 at 11:29 am

I love Kushies! We have the basic version, the middle version and the all in ones. They are the best that I found. I also have some Mothers Ease, I like these but the snaps are difficult in the middle of the night. As for covers, I have made some wool covers out of old sweaters and I love these. I also bought the super cheap Dappi nylon covers from Babybestbuy. So if you want some homemade wool covers let me know and I will whip some up for you. I have 7 pairs right now for Marjorie and my husband doesn’t like using them, because he is DUMB! ;)
I also use glycerin soap to wash the diapers with and since using that we never get any red butt. The only time we ever had red butt issues was when I would forget to do the double rinse and when I was putting baking soda in the diaper pail. It threw off the pH in the diapers and reacted with the pee. So I don’t do that anymore. I rinse them, wring them out and toss them in the pail. I don’t even do a clear water rinse before washing anymore. Just warm water, a scoop of the glycerin soap flakes and a double cold rinse. Now I can finally hang them on the line again. Email me if you want some woolies for your boys. I can make long or short legs. I posted some pictures on my blog of one pair I made for the girl.