Things that annoy me

by statia on March 8, 2009

I love it when people use the phrase “you’re not fat, you’re pregnant.” As if that’s some sort of lame attempt attempt at making you feel better for being fat. It’s like people don’t stop to even think that you could possibly be sensitive about the fact that you’re growing faster than you can keep up with actually getting used to the changes that are happening to you.

I’m not one of those people that harbors a basketball in my shirt so that from behind I look like a normal person. No, I get pregnant everywhere. The last time, I went overboard. So it stands to reason. This time, I haven’t gone nearly overboard, and I still have fat pregnancy head. Along with pregnancy thighs, calves, and whatever else has the ability to harbor fat. I didn’t notice it so much with the Mini. Even when people I knew made the “If I didn’t know better, I’d think it was twins” comment. With this one, I’ve felt so much more sensitive and hyper aware. I’ve gained 1/4 of the weight, but I still look like the Michelin tire man.

Seriously people. Next time you have the urge to say “You’re not fat, you’re pregnant.” Fight it. Because even if your intentions are good, the pregnant person is still sensitive about it and most likely feels like a beached whale. Also? HORMONAL.

jesser March 8, 2009 at 6:56 pm

Word. When I can’t put on my own damn shoes, your platitudes do nothing for my self-esteem, so shut it.

ssfb March 8, 2009 at 7:34 pm

and hormonal = dangerous

sarah March 8, 2009 at 8:51 pm

Phone conversation with my mom last week:

Mom: “So, do you have a belly yet?”
Me: “Not really. I’m feeling more fat than pregnant.”
Mom: “Well, maybe you are.”
Me: “Um, thanks.”

Orodemniades March 8, 2009 at 9:14 pm

Unlike me of course, who was so fat wheb I got pregnant that Nobody!Asked!Ever!

I meet people to this day who not only have no idea I was pregnant, but who assume my sn is someone elses because we don’t share the ame skin or eye color. Hahaha!

ad, good times.

Not.

Orodemniades March 8, 2009 at 9:15 pm

Sorry for typos, pumping and typiong one handed not recommended. Especially when very tired, depressed, and drinking wine.

Shanna March 8, 2009 at 9:15 pm

I’ll cop to saying, “You’re carrying beautifully,” or “You look great.” And usually I mean it. Only one person who ever gets “fat” from me – and the level of sarcasm in our everyday conversation is such that we each declare at least once a day that we are never speaking to each other again.

Kris March 9, 2009 at 12:35 pm

You’re not hormonal. You’re pregnant.

Regina March 9, 2009 at 4:43 pm

Oh, it’s just water weight, dear. I bet if I stuck a needle in you, I could make you skinny in a minute! OR You know, salt adds pounds OR Cankles are part of the new spring line – see that scrawny basketball carrying model?

Sorry that people are being insensitive. But do let me know if you want me to try that needle thing, love.

Thinking of you and baby :)

MsPrufrock March 10, 2009 at 4:34 am

I think rather than veiled aggression, I’d almost prefer someone to say, “Damn bitch, you fat!”

This just makes me think of the time I was discussing my postpartum body with one of the mums from my group, a good friend. I was saying that it was hard to believe that I used to be athletic given the layer(s) of flab I was sporting, and she said, “No, you can tell that underneath it you still are.” Yeah. Cheers.

Anyway, you still look good, even though you’re pregnant. HA!

Suzanne March 10, 2009 at 1:09 pm

I outgrew my size in maternity clothes and had to buy more in a bigger size. When I told my friend and said “I wish you would have told me about that” she said “that never happened to me” (and she had twins), I felt great.