Suddenly two.

by statia on February 24, 2009

The Mini has very suddenly hit the age of two.  Even though he doesn’t officially turn two until next week, his attitude and behavior have decided they’d start early.  Oh sure, he’s been showing signs of becoming two for awhile now.  What with his opinions and preferences.  I often wonder how someone who has so little life experience, can have such big opinions about things.

We’ve officially hit the no stage.  Like, harcore NO!  He’s been throwing it out there for awhile now, but really was stil a pretty compliant kid.   Now, defiance is the name of the game and so are tantrums.  And really, I can’t drink, so dealing with toddler tantrums a good portion of the day is enough to wear on anyone, but at the same time, I can’t help but turn around while he’s throwing yet another tantrum, and just laugh.   I know I shouldn’t, but really, throwing yourself on the ground and screaming NONONONONONONONO in a holy hell of a dramatic fashion, because you’re not allowed to bring your “fiah guck” to dinner is just enough amusement to make me crack up.

The other thing he’s started doing is banging.  Banging on every square inch of surface in my house.  On a box with some sox, in a house with a mouse, or drumsticks, whatever.  It’s enough to make me want to jab and ice pick in my brain, and he does it because he knows it drives me to the absolute brink of insanity.   I’m hoping this is just a passing phase.

In other news, I failed my one hour glucose screen, and proceeded to shit my pants.   I passed it with the Mini, which was amazing given the fact that I practically ate sugar out of the bag when I was pregnant with him (and ribs).   I know that a lot of times it’s just a fluke, and the 3 hour test is fine, but I really didn’t want to mess around with gestational diabetes.  Thankfully, I passed the three hour test with flying colors and a raging sugar headache.   And hopefully, I won’t give birth to a linebacker.

motel manager February 24, 2009 at 6:58 pm

Heh — So.ren has those odd moments of defiance, too. Do you think the laughing scars them? I can’t help but do it sometimes. One recent tantrum was over the fact that I handed him his string cheese (ding jee) OUT of the wrapper. Apparently, he really wanted it handed to him like a banana with the peel just slightly opened so that he could have the pleasure of peeling it — or, more accurately, repeatedly asking me to open it slightly more.

It really is too bad you can’t drink while pregnant. That’s when you need it the most.

tuesday February 24, 2009 at 7:11 pm

I hate to tell you this, but if you think 2 is bad, you should see age 3. Sweet lord!

Suzanne February 26, 2009 at 1:38 pm

We hit 2 around 18 months I think. It sucks. We are fortunate that the tantrums seems to only happen at home so far (except for the carseat tantrum). My daughter likes to flail for dramatic effect so I just pick her up off the tile or hardwood floor and put her on the carpet and say “if you are going to have a tantrum, you need to do it here” and walk away and go about my business doing something else. That seems to shorten the duration. I’m not sure what the hell to do with the “I’m not getting in my carseat” flailing tantrum that inevitably befalls us when we are leaving somewhere, I’m pretty sure if I left her in a cart in the grocery store parking lot someone would take her. Flailing or not, she is fairly cute.

Chris February 27, 2009 at 9:29 am

Good luck with the next test. And enjoy the “no” phase. Because eventually it will turn into the long-winded whining phase from which I fear there is no escape until they turn 18 and move out.

Flicka February 27, 2009 at 10:30 pm

Sarge read in a baby magazine we recently got that banging on things is a sign of good development. So maybe the Mini is forging some new pathways somewhere and getting ready to take a big leap? I don’t know, we just read what randomly arrives in our mailbox. Either way, I’m glad you can laugh. It’s better than crying, right?

Deltus March 2, 2009 at 2:06 pm

Go on and laugh at their tantrums. They’re SO funny!

Helen March 5, 2009 at 11:17 am

Psst-happy birthday to the Mini from the crew over here!