January 20th

by statia on January 20, 2009

So today is Inauguration Day.   That’s great and all.   Sure, it’s a historical inauguration.  The first (half, I might add) African-American man is about to be elected into office in about 30 minutes.   Awesome.   I’m totally happy that we’ve come far enough to elect a black man into office.  I wouldn’t say we’ve overcome racism, but for people to put their issues aside long enough to choose the candidate they thought was the better man for the job, that’s rad.  Good for you.

I’m really happy to be a part of this day in history.  Truly.  I voted for Barack Obama, myself.   I did it because I the majority of his beliefs aligned with mine.  It’s as simple as that.

But fuck, It IS historic.  It IS a big deal.  I’m not denying that.   But people, he is NOT Jesus Christ himself.  He is a politician.  He is a policitican who knows how to speak, and speak damn well.  I’ll admit that even I get a chill when the  man talks, but I’m not buying into his speeches.   People need to stop putting him on a pedestal.   The world is not going to change tomorrow because of him.  Or the next day, or the day after that.   I really and truly hope that he can deliver on at least some of the promises that he’s made.

I intend to give him a fair chance.  After all, I did vote for him.  But I want to see what he can DO.  Not what he can eloquently talk about in front of crowds of people.

Dear Mr. Obama,

You have a long, tough road ahead of you.  I hope you do a great job.  Mostly, I hope that the sunshine, puppies and unicorn farts you blew up everyone’s ass during your campaign doesn’t set the American people up for disappointment.

Sincerely,

Statia

Angela January 20, 2009 at 11:50 am

Finally someone said it, thank you!
I actually think he’s going to have a huge fall from grace because of how high the expectations are set and the miracles people are looking for. I don’t envy his position in the least.

Deltus January 20, 2009 at 12:05 pm

People need to realize, they’re not picking the next Jesus Christ, they’re just picking the next President.

He’ll do fine. But he’ll never live up to the hype that’s been touted about him. Nobody, short of Jesus Christ coming down here in the flesh hisself, possibly could.

And even then, I don’t think he’d get it. “Sure, I’ll vote for a negro, but you really think you’d get fair dealings in the middle east with a Jew as President??”

I keed.

jesser January 20, 2009 at 12:21 pm

The cult of Obama was really annoying to me too. I didn’t vote for him, but I am not sorry he won. I thought he had put a lot of thought into his plans for our issues … I just couldn’t figure out how he proposed to pay for most of them. I sincerely hope he is and can do all his die-hard fans believe … but he’s sure got a long crappy road ahead of him and I don’t envy him the job.

Dotty January 20, 2009 at 12:29 pm

I think people are just VERY excited to have someone who can actually speak and give some hope to us after the train wreck that just left office. He isn’t a miracle worker. The hard work starts now.

geeky January 20, 2009 at 1:43 pm

Can I just squeeze my name in at the bottom of that letter, right after yours? Thanks.

Kevin Donahue January 20, 2009 at 6:41 pm

Amen to all that.

DD January 20, 2009 at 6:50 pm

I’ve been thinking the same thing. I’m truly excited, but I would have to admit that excitement is partly because Bush is no longer president. I have to wonder just how long will Obama be Prez before people realize the shit still is blowing through the fan?

Yes, he’s suppose to epitomize change, but let’s keep in mind this: he’s a politician, the furtherest thing from J.C.

Flicka January 20, 2009 at 10:24 pm

Of course he isn’t Jesus Christ, Statia, he is the anti-Christ…duh. Srsly. Pay attention.

(Sorry, I’m not done getting mileage out of that yet. I voted for him too, feel the same way as you do and I hope the very best for our new commander in chief.)

Mina January 21, 2009 at 11:14 am

I’ll be honest. I feel damn sorry for him. The country is a mess and he is kinda new to the game.

I will say he “seems” to take things seriously enough. He seems to realize it’s not about HIM, it’s about what he represents and what people need to believe he’ll accomplish.

Personally, being the happy go lucky optimistic person I am, I really hope people AREN’T disappointed regardless of how odd their adoration is to me.

Chris January 22, 2009 at 11:53 pm

THANK YOU for saying this! I too voted for Obama but I’m certainly more part of the wait and see what he can do school. The man is a mere mortal after all. He has a huge task in front of him and he isn’t going to fix all the problems in the world just because he is eloquent and “not Bush.” We need to deal with this economic mess but I’m also not thrilled to know that my taxes are going to go up up up. Sigh.