I’m that mom.

by statia on January 21, 2009

When  my friend and I were in high school, long before kids were ever really a thought in my mind, other than “someday,”  we would sit around and talk about how cool we would be as parents.   We’d let them do what they wanted, and we’d have a room turned into a moonbounce (I kind of have that going on now, so I guess I am sort of cool).  They’d have all the cool snacks.  Oreos!  Potato chips (not the generic lame kind either).  Real Coke, not crappy “cola.”

And then you kind of grow up (I say kind of for obvious reasons) and you realize that you’d be retarded to let them eat tons of candy and go to bed late.  And now I cringe when I see kids drinking anything that is not a color you’d find in nature.   Electric blue drinks?   Oh my god, those kids are going to be up for six days straight and their intestinal tract must be riddled with yeast and all sorts of other rotting garbage.

Even before the Mini’s “problems” arose, I made a point to give him food that was as natural as possible.  No artificial colors, flavors or preservatives.  I try to go as organic as I can, which amuses me, because before he was born, I was convinced that organic food was just a way for people to charge more for food.   More important to me, is just more natural eating.  I try not to be too much of a stickler about it (although most people come to my house and ask me if I have anything other than “that hippie crap” in my cupboard), because I don’t want to shock his system when he finally does manage to get his hands on crap food, but for now, I can get away with it.

And I realized the other day, as I picked up some “sun drops” (essentially the gay natural version of M&M’s) for him as a treat (read: bribery), that he’s going to hate us as he gets older, because his friends are allowed to have “the good cereal” and munch on cancer laden M&M’s.   And I’m perfectly OK with being the lame mom on this one.

Ms. Pants January 21, 2009 at 3:35 pm

And you know what? That’s what aunties count on!!

girlfiend January 21, 2009 at 3:58 pm

The Fiendling gets his fix of hfcs, hydrogenated oils and artificial colors from his grandparents. I try to keep my pantry stocked with natural and organic foods but I draw the line at carob. I will never, ever try and pass carob off as chocolate. I may be lame, but I’m not that lame.

tuesday January 21, 2009 at 4:12 pm

I try and feed my kids as matural as possible too, now that they are in school they get munchkins for ki’s birthdays and drink lemonade at parties. In this house they will water down their green juice still (they are 6 today!) and eat fruits, and veggies and all that good stuff.
I am lame too

jesser January 21, 2009 at 4:40 pm

T loves the sundrops but we buy the ones that do come in colors not really found in nature to be sure. ;) Overall, I strive for mostly natural, but I have been hugely lax since I got all knocked-up. Nothing could have stopped me last week from eating the yummiest casserole in the world which contains campbells cream of whatever soup and DORITOS… not to mention canned chicken. I know she eats some typical toddler food at her sitters, but her most recent favorite snack are plain old blueberries so she must be doing OK at least.

shanna January 21, 2009 at 5:08 pm

As I was munching on M&Ms at a party Saturday night, I couldn’t help but think about how I’d never hand those things to my kids…

I’m lame, but I’m also a hypocrite.

Chris January 22, 2009 at 9:55 am

It’s pretty amazing how you can effortlessly turn into the person you never thought you’d be when you become a parent.

geeky January 22, 2009 at 11:24 am

Oh man. You’re totally that lady I used to babysit for. I’d go to her house, and before she left she’d be all, “Help yourself to anything in the kitchen for dinner!” So I’d check out the kitchen and all she had was hippy food. I’d spend the rest of the night starving. No wonder their kid cried constantly!

Suzanne January 22, 2009 at 2:05 pm

I’m with you, why give them crap if they don’t know the difference? I don’t even give my daughter juice and we went to a playdate and she refused a cupcake in favor of strawberries. Of course I know this bliss won’t last forever but why not give them a good start. Otherwise you just end up on Morrie with the kid who weighs 100 pounds at 2 years and drinks coke out of a bottle and has cheetos for lunch.

Flicka January 22, 2009 at 10:53 pm

I told my mom that I’d never make my kids wash dishes because it was SO MEAN. Until I grew up and realized that if they weren’t washing dishes…I was. As soon as Sam can stand, we’re getting a stool and a tiny apron.

Dania January 27, 2009 at 12:25 pm

I am one of “those” moms too. I have even started freezing veggies and fruit and she’s not even eating solids yet. I made the mistake with Karah and David, not making the same mistakes with this child…she is so going to hate me when she eventually goes to a friends house and figures out what “soda” is.

Sk February 3, 2009 at 7:40 pm

dito to the crap. as I say this I just let my 10 month old have his 1st bite of a grilled cheese ( I am horrible I know who knew he’s like it?) But I try to go as natural as possible and no artificial crap so much so when we visited the in laws at xmas I got dubbed the sugar nazi by my fiance as I wouldn’t let the MIL give my kid Frutopia. The the 1st or second ingredieant is sugar then water or vice versa which she happily shoved down his 16 month cousin’s throat. And my SIL coudn’t have cared less. I commented that it would just hype her up MIL said that she would just burn it off. WTF?