Mama Bragging

by statia on November 15, 2008

While the Mini’s language is exploding and he’s becoming a little parrot (which was really excellent when the Meester dropped the f-bomb only to have a tiny little voice repeat it.  I am SO glad that wasn’t me), his language is a lot of times still hard to understand.  But he’s stringing two and three words together.   However,  the most amazing thing, at least to me, is the fact that he knows his ABC’s and can count to 10 (in both English and Norwegian) and even identify some of the English letters.  Maybe that’s not a big deal, but I don’t know many kids at 20 months that can recite the entire alphabet, even if it is hard to understand.   Sure there are the rocket science babies, that are speaking 7 different languages and can tell the difference between a noun and a pronoun, but that’s not the norm.  This is a kid that four short months ago, had the skills of a 8-9 month old.

While, his language will remain somewhat behind for awhile, due to being a bilingual house, I think I have every right to brag about his abilities.

ewe_are_here November 15, 2008 at 8:05 pm

Norwegian? Hey, we get a bit of that here, too, because my MIL is Norwegian. :-)

shanna November 15, 2008 at 11:16 pm

In a bilingual house, his language is not “behind.” His brain is still sorting things out, so he will speak LATER, but he will be at least average, if not advanced, in both English and Norwegian language skills by a couple of years from now. Big bonus, though, because not only will he know two languages when most of his (U.S.) peers know only one, but he will have a far easier time learning new languages as he gets older. My brain is wired for only one language, because my parents spoke only English to me when I was growing up, even though they had another language in common (and my father knew two others besides). Such a disappointment, but at leas tthye didn’t beat me with hot pokers, y’know?

MsPrufrock November 16, 2008 at 9:06 pm

Wow, Mini, well done. If he’s made this much progress in four months, what will he be doing in another four months’ time? Napping, hopefully.

Flicka November 17, 2008 at 2:39 am

English and Norwegian?! He’s way ahead of me, I’ll tell you that much. Go Mini, go!

jesser November 17, 2008 at 10:04 pm

His age-mate that lives at my house doesn’t know her ABCs or her 123s (it’s all CCCDCCC and 4499449) and you have every right to be proud of him. ;) And how cool that he’s going to learn another language! Around our house she might pick up PHP, but that’s about it. Oh yea, and I toss in some Yiddish here and there.

Susanne November 18, 2008 at 4:06 am

Damn. I thought it was waaaay too early for the ABCs and counting. Don’t get me wrong: we’ve got some cool tricks for 17 months, but nothing that will impress the girls like that. OK, here’s what you don’t teach your child: When he learned to say “bubble” a few weeks back after watching his mother’s day out teacher with the bubble wand, I blew a spit bubble for his bemusement. How lucky he is to have a mother like me with such grace. And who knew he could even see that tiny bubble? The next morning, my husband read “That’s not my monster, his nose is too bubbly,” and Thomas blew a spit bubble and said, “bubble.” It blew my husband’s mind, especially since he didn’t know Thomas had seen me do that. Or that I even could (or would) do that. Imagine our collective pride.