Cravings

by statia on November 21, 2008

I don’t recall having too many cravings with the Mini.  Pork (either Pork burritos from Wahoo’s or ribs, mainly ribs) was big in our house last time, and I craved Yoohoo, but that was because it wasn’t readily available.   I seem to be geared towards carbs this time around.  And ribs.

Things I would cut a bitch for right at this very moment:

Cheerios cheddar snack mix
New York bagels with Temptee whipped cream cheese
Ribs (of course)

Of course coffee and alcohol not withstanding, but I have a ways to go before I can enjoy those again.

I had a routine doctors appointment this morning.  An hour wait for fucking less than 10 minutes of doctor face time.  I can’t tell you how much I miss my old OB right now, who even though we probably drove her nuts, and more often than not, scared her with our weird humor, took the time to answer our questions without rushing us out the door (which on many occasions, she probably wanted to).

I gained a total of one whole pound (surprising, because last time I gained at least five from the time I went in for my beta to the time I actually got the results later that day), which I’m definitely not complaining about, as I ended up gaining 60 in total with the Mini, about half of that of which was water weight.  I’d like to avoid that this time around.  I’ve also developed these weird red bumps that I thought were pimples, but it turns out that they’re a sort of rash that they see in two people:  pregnant women, and late stage alcoholics.  Awesome.

I want to hear your pregnancy cravings (mainly so I can go “oooh, I want that” to the Meester.  I like to drive him crazy).

Helen November 21, 2008 at 6:12 pm

This is going to piss you off, but I wanted fruit when I was pregnant. Just fruit and lots of it. I missed out on all the unhealthy stuff because all I wanted was fruit. I played with myself to images of Carmen Miranda.

Suzanne November 21, 2008 at 7:03 pm

Pineapple and french fries, not together but those were constants. Once I ate a gas station breakfast taco because it sounded really good. I still have a hard time going to that gas station without gagging.

shanna November 21, 2008 at 7:09 pm

Grilled cheese (AMERICAN CHEESE! EW!) and tomato soup. FOR BREAKFAST.

I’m assuming that a rash that also shows up in alcoholics is not PUPPP (and red bumps that look like pimples doesn’t sound like PUPPP either), but in case I’m wrong, please feel free to contact me for survival tips. Because that sucked royal ass.

I’m also assuming it’s not choleostatis, because that’s way more serious than “just a rash.”

donna November 21, 2008 at 7:11 pm

Hmmm…. I wanted a ton of fruit too, which was good because it was summer so it was all readily available for me. I also ate a lot of popsicles. I also wanted chips and queso and guacamole, as well as Indian food.

God, I’m making myself hungry.

DD November 21, 2008 at 8:46 pm

Pork? You craved pork?

Ewwwwwwww. I could barely handle any meat product when I was pregnant.

Vinegar was my craving. Yep. Spinach salad with vinegar, oil and more vinegar.

steff November 21, 2008 at 11:15 pm

Lemonade.
Grape Kool Aid
Pasta w/ parmesan cheese.

Susanne November 21, 2008 at 11:29 pm

Fruit, fruit and more fruit. I at the hell out of some watermelon and pineapple. Not surprisingly, my spawn can now eat his weight in fresh fruit.

tricia November 22, 2008 at 12:40 am

late stage alcoholics.. hahaha hawt!

Lisa November 22, 2008 at 1:42 am

Whoppers – the kind with three of four food groups from Burger King. Add a shake and you’re eating “healthy”. Ha! I also loved fruit, anything with jalapenos, and Chinese food – specifically Kung Pao chicken. OMG now I’m hungry.

Dotty November 22, 2008 at 1:52 am

Chili con queso. That was really all I craved. I could have drank a bucket of that shit.

Camille November 22, 2008 at 4:18 am

Granny Smith apples, Honey Nut Cheerios (two things that G loves to this day!) and every now and then I needed a movie theatre sized box of Hot Tamales cinnamon candy.

Jenn November 22, 2008 at 4:49 am

With my second pregnancy I craved Chic-Fil-A lemonade and A1 steak sauce. With the boys I wanted chocolate milkshakes from Baskin Robbins. Had to be Baskin Robbins or it was useless.

Tracy November 23, 2008 at 1:34 am

Let’s see…with my daughter, it was KFC mashed potatoes. With this baby, BK whoppers, olives (green or black) and vinegar (pickles, sandwiches with extra vinegar) etc. BUT…having gestational diabetes has greatly curbed what cravings I can actually HAVE, which sucks greatly.

becky November 23, 2008 at 5:10 am

Belated congrats. I’m an asshole. I’ve been so busy I haven’t been checking in with anyone. Really happy for you, dude.

Christine November 23, 2008 at 5:51 pm

With the oldest it was Souvlaki and french fries with extra tzatziki sauce and by extra, I mean vats.
With the youngest it was raw meat and sushi, which of course I couldn’t indulge in so it was steak and burgers medium rare.

MsPrufrock November 23, 2008 at 6:31 pm

When I was in the early stages of pregnancy, I was all about applesauce, salty crisps, and feta. We were staying with my Mom and hiding the pregnancy at that point, but I suspect it looked odd that those are the only three things I’d eat.

Early on, I couldn’t bear the thought of greasy foods. However, on the day I entered my second trimester we went to get some chips, and I was enamoured of all of the horribly disgusting greasy shit sold in the chip shop. Suddenly, I wanted to be bathed in slippery, battered sausages and fish. Seriously, I could have licked the display unit, so badly did I want that stuff.

Thankfully, that phase didn’t last for too long. I would have gained about 100 pounds and had hardened arteries in no time.

Jen November 24, 2008 at 1:19 am

Helens comment caused me to nearly pee…

I craved fruit. FRUIT. I could not get enough of it. And fiber biscuits. I don’t know what else to call them. They were these cracker things. Whole grain. I totally thought that they were going to taste like shit. But they had this sweetness to them. I wish I could remember what they were called because they totally fixed the constipation issue later on. LOL

My other craving was popsicles. And ice.

And being the planets biggest carnivore, I could NOT eat meat. OMG I was so against the meat during that time. Especially red meat. The mere thought sent me running. That really pissed me off. To this day, Maya does not like meat and would live on fruit alone, if I let her.

The only junk-food type thing I craved was butterscotch candies, which I NEVER eat. Weird.

Claire November 24, 2008 at 3:02 pm

With Elliot, I craved tomatoes in my first trimester but all throughout the second, all I wanted were cheeseburgers. Every single day. And not fast food type, because I don’t eat fast food, but the big juicy extra cheesy kind. They do say that with boys you crave meat and girls, sweets. I don’t know if I believe it but it proved true with me.

amishpromqueen November 24, 2008 at 3:14 pm

Tomato soup with shredded cheese and hot sauce. All day. Every day. I haven’t touched the stuff since. Oh, and Starf*cks Frappaccinos. Ugh.

April November 24, 2008 at 5:05 pm

With Julian, I craved spicy – the kind of spicy that would make a Thai man tremble in fear. I made a jalapeno and pineapple smoothie for god sakes. And fried egg sandwiches. I ate them with spicy habanero cheese EVERY SINGLE DAY for about four months.

This time around – it’s meat. Meat, cheese and chocolate milk (which I normally hate). And in our vegetarian household that’s going over splendid – let me tell you.

Empress November 24, 2008 at 10:07 pm

Cheese – lots and lots of cheese – macaroni salad, and Stroehmann’s fudge brownies. Coupled with a half pint of milk, that was my dinner every single day for many months with my first one.

My second one – I couldn’t keep anything down. I had morning sickness all day for 9 months. The only thing that wouldn’t make me gag was beefaroni. I bought it by the case.

jesser November 25, 2008 at 5:05 am

I made a special trip to the store last Friday for sourcream and cheddar potato chips because I.Had.To.Have.Them.NOW. And I would normally never touch them. I also want red meat again, something I’m not usually much into.

My old OB moved on too, but that wasn’t much of a loss. I’ve seen the new one once for like 5 minutes… not too impressed so far. But I am going to the same perinatologist as last time for my 20 wk ultrasound and he’s a doll. I am hard to scan apparently (being roughly the size of a hobbit) and so I convinced my nice OB NP to let the peri do my scan instead of the jr college lab tech.

Tonya November 26, 2008 at 6:30 am

I had a bagel phase in the 1st trimester both times, and Pho– OMG the Pho with Tiny Boy was a Must Have.

Otherwise, I pretty much had serious food aversions. NO meat. At all. Just seeing it in the store would make me barf. I could not eat tomatoes, and had one hell of a time keeping anything down. It makes me wonder WHY ITH I even want to do it all over again?

Dania November 26, 2008 at 1:32 pm

With Natalya- I had PICA..it was wonderful, not. I craved weird shit. Like the smell of the basement, Home depot and Auto parts stores lmao As for eating weird shit? Tums…by the containers, I went through almost 300 a week…no lie. My nails and hair grew so fast while eating them I couldn’t keep up with my roots :| Normal foods? Toasted Tomato and Miracle Whip sandwiches..I really don’t want to see another one for a very long time, and cheese…so.much.cheese.

Karah- I craved 7-11 Nachos, like everyday.
David- Whoppers..no wonder I got so fat with him :P

Mina December 2, 2008 at 4:07 pm

Ruffles (and Ruffles only) sour cream and onion potato chips.