Thoughts on the Election.

by statia on October 19, 2008

It’s rare that I talk about politics, but lets face it, you could live under a rock and you’d still know what happened during the debate(s) and you’d probably still know who “Joe the plumber” was. Even though this has been one of the most interesting and exciting (I know, DORK) campaigns, I’m still ready for it to be over. But for now, a few observations, if you will:

1. I realize that campaign slandering is how things work, but really, do you really think that your negative campaigning will make me change my mind?  Do you think that I’ll just take your word for it and believe you?   If anything, it just makes me respect you that much less.   It makes me sick to think how much money you’ve wasted on shit like that, when I’m wondering how the hell I’m going to send my kid to college.
  2. Going door to door.  I mean, come ON.  I hate soliciting. Hate.  So much so that at one point I had a very lengthy sign telling people not to ring the bell, lest they face certain death.   Showing up at my door is a sure fire way for me to get pissy enough to not vote.  Same goes for those lame attempts at celebrity recordings.
  3. Lawn signs and campaign postcards.  This is just such a waste of paper and ink and resources.  All of these signs are going to end up piled up somewhere in a landfill.  Me seeing a sign on someone’s front lawn isn’t going to make me pick a certain candidate.

I realize that there are people out there who vote the way their church tells them to, or vote for one party without looking at the issues because that’s what they were raised to believe.  But I can do my own research without a candidate telling me that the other candidate was doing lines under the bleachers in college.

MsPrufrock October 19, 2008 at 7:52 pm

Forget all of that, I’m just voting for whoever you tell me to vote for.

Kevin Donahue October 19, 2008 at 8:39 pm

Very well said. Everyone seems to have their lines in the sand and/or their heads buried. Both candidates have good ideas and terrible ideas. I just hope either of them only accomplishes half of what they have planned – otherwise we’re all screwed. :)

BJ October 19, 2008 at 11:42 pm

Something else that is NOT going to influence (positively) how I vote is supporters standing along the road waving at the passing motorists. Get off the road, you’re just mucking up the traffic.

Buzz October 20, 2008 at 10:34 am

Well put. All I know is that I’m voting for Ross Perot again. Surely THIS time he’ll make it, right?

jesser October 20, 2008 at 1:39 pm

Yea, tell me about it. I come home every damned day to a mailbox STUFFED with these full color glossy flyers and all I think is how much these damned things cost and how much more impressed I’d be with a candidate if they chose to use that $$ for something that … y’know … mattered. But then they wouldn’t be a politician and it would all be moot.

amishpromqueen October 20, 2008 at 3:57 pm

I will say that I have a lawn sign. And it makes me happy. But that’s because my entire village (sounds like I live with Smurfs), every house has signs up for the other guy. It made us pissy enough to put one up to show not everyone had been assimilated.

Also, the mail flyers do not get read, but do make great kindling for the fireplace. As least we’ve been reusing them for something.

Mina October 21, 2008 at 12:15 pm

Not to mention, sometimes these ads blatantly LIE. I’m so over negativity. I think they should make a law against it just because it’s so damn annoying!

mace October 22, 2008 at 1:27 pm

Right on! Those are my thoughts exactly too.