That time already.

by statia on October 24, 2008

By and large the Mini is a pretty agreeable kid.  Sure he’ll play hard to get when I try to get him to give me something he shouldn’t have, but eventually, he’ll give it to me without much fuss.  He was also pretty much a doormat for the longest time, not really getting ruffled when kids would yank toys out of his hands.

He slammed the brakes on all of that HARD, over the last two days.  The terrible twos seem to be arriving at our house on the early side, because he’s been a ripe whore.   I don’t doubt that they’ll be staying late, because that’s how that parental karma works.  Whatever shit you pulled as a kid gets paid back to you twice as bad.  All while Grandma watches on, not even trying to stifle a laugh.

And while this really sucks, and I’m sure I’ll be over it yesterday, I can’t help but laugh at the amount of drama a 19 month old exhibits.  Can’t get your shoes on?  Throw yourself on the ground and scream, and then hit your shoes and then throw them across the room for good measure.   Not allowed to have a cookie?  Drop to your knees and cry about it loud enough for the neighbors to hear.  Friend take your toy?  Go and remove the contents of the coffee table with one deft sweep.

4 and a half months until two.  If I make it that far.

Beth Fish October 24, 2008 at 2:09 am

It used to drive me insane when people said this to me, but oh my god honey, wait until you see what three has in store.

Kris October 24, 2008 at 2:45 am

*snicker*

And hey, I know a certain 40 year old man that acts the same way!!

Mina October 24, 2008 at 12:37 pm

My little goober seems to be an early one too. I believe we started seeing most of that behavior at 15 month.

I had this lady at a park once ask me how old he was. When I told her she’s like “Oh nice, he’s at the age where he doesn’t argue.” I actually told her, “Not sure about your 15 month old, but mine argues constantly!”

I’m not sure I’ll ever be ready for the terrible twos if I can expect it to be worse…

ewe_are_here October 24, 2008 at 1:35 pm

hahahahahahaha

I KNOW that 19 month old. In fact, I live with him!

Stubborn little mules, they are.

Helen October 24, 2008 at 5:00 pm

I know when I can’t get my shoes on I throw myself on the ground and scream, too.

Philly Mama October 27, 2008 at 8:46 pm

Yeah, so my not-quite-yet 15th month old has been totally pitching temper tantrums lately. And I’m all like, “What? Are you 2 yet?”. On Friday, he didn’t want want to be put in his stroller when I picked him up at day care, so he screamed bloody murder and when I picked him up. And then started to CLAW MY FACE. Nice. Plus it looked to on-lookers that he was pitching a fit because he didn’t want to leave day care. Because that’s embarrassing.