I must be old.

by statia on August 11, 2008

I don’t think I’m the exception to the rule when I say that when I was younger, I always said I was going to be the “cool” parent. When I think about that now, I shudder and know that I’m officially old. I try not to forget what it’s like to be a kid, or a teenager. It’s difficult and they’re years that I would not go back to, except maybe to tell my younger self not to bake your face off in the sun, because you’ll be paying for that when you’re in your 30′s. Also, get off your fat ass, you lazy whore. Your thighs will thank me for this later. Trust me.

We went to Musikfest on Saturday because we were able to score some babysitting a la Grandma. Musikfest is one of those things that I’ve always loved to go to, and look back on fondly, as it was a way to catch up with people I might not have seen in a while. I’m sad to say that it’s now just jammed packed with white trash, and lots of people who dragged their kids out way past bedtime. This is the part of me that’s old, because I saw hundreds of strollers with young kids and babies who just looked miserable. It’s crowded, it’s smoky, it’s loud as hell, and mostly, it was 10PM. I love showing my kid off, with the best of them, but there are some things that I almost never deviate from, not even when we’re traveling, and that’s bedtime. To me, one day of showing off in a venue like that, is just not worth the risk of dealing with the fallout for the next few days. The Mini, he’s a creature of habit when it comes to bedtime, and that suits me just fine. Maybe that makes me anal retentive, but I don’t care. Kids need the structure of having a set bedtime, especially when they’re babies and toddlers. Older kids, can get away with it, and I’m not going to be that parent that doesn’t let the Mini stay up past bedtime now and then on special occasions, but now? I’d rather jam an oar in my no no hole, sideways than deal with tantrums.

mrs spock August 11, 2008 at 10:50 am

I am totally with you on this. Bedtime is sacred at our house. Getting off schedule can easily ruin the good groove. A fussy overtired baby that cries all day is not worth it.

M@ August 11, 2008 at 11:32 am

You are absolutely not old, and I should know. :)

So I’m trying to figure out which hole is the no no hole, cause if you’re shoving an oar in sideways, aren’t they all no no holes?

jesser August 11, 2008 at 12:15 pm

Ummm yea … we never keep T out past 7:30 unless we have a (good) spot for her to go to sleep. And that’s pretty much only at my parents’ house. They love their routine … and while I still try to be flexible, I too strive for trantrum free days. We overdid it this weekend and paid big on Sunday. Yikes.

Camille August 11, 2008 at 12:25 pm

oh I totally agree! We are just now letting G get away with staying up 30 minutes late sometimes, but that’s usually when he takes a nap during the day. Other than that…its lights out at 8:30 every night!

Tuesday August 11, 2008 at 1:39 pm

I agree, my kids are five and they are never up past 8pm except for special occasions. They need the sleep!

Erin August 11, 2008 at 2:13 pm

Naptime and bedtime are not to be messed with, couldn’t agree more. I always wonder what kids/babies are doing out of their houses, not in bed past 8pm.

Jenn August 11, 2008 at 8:02 pm

The older mine get, the more leeway they seem to have with bedtime. We’re pretty consistant though and I don’t think they’ve ever been out at 10! The latest we’ve kept them out is 9, and that’s with a bath at Grandma’s and PJ’s for the ride home.

Tonya August 11, 2008 at 10:39 pm

I am in total agreement. It is a very rare day when my 6 YO is up at 8pm, and I never take them out late for something totally frivolous. Okay, once… 4th of July fireworks for my girl, but it’s not something IMHO stupid like taking my YOUNG kids to see the Dark Knight movie at the 9pm showing! I could just strangle some parents. Fortunately, it does not appear that you’ll ever be on my list. ;)

Chris August 13, 2008 at 11:27 am

I’m right there with you in that I’m old. I’d like to steer clear of that whole oar thing though, if you don’t mind.

motel manager August 13, 2008 at 5:43 pm

I would also totally not have any fun if S. were with me. I’d be worried the whole time. Whenever we see kids at weddings, my husband will express a desire that we would have brought S., and I’ll point out that that would have been fabulous for about 10 minutes.

Tiffanni August 13, 2008 at 9:17 pm

Amen to that, sister! I am the same with bedtime.