One size fits some

by statia on July 14, 2008

I’ve been mulling this post over in my head for awhile now. I’ve been trying to find a way to formulate my words, so that they sound cohesive, because the truth is, in my head, it’s just a jumbled mess.

We continue to see small improvements in the Mini every day. No matter how “small” they are to most people, to us they’re big triumphs, because all the small milestones add up to bigger and better things. And I think that’s true for just about anyone. We bought the Mini an easel last weekend, because no matter how much I sat down with him to color, he wanted no part of it. This week, my walls are now littered with tiny crayon marks, and while I’m not really encouraging him to color on the walls, I’m not discouraging him either. Crayon can be washed off. He does love his easel though, and looks to us with big grins when he “colors.” It’s usually followed by much cheering and raised arms. Kind of like Nixon, but instead of the peace sign, he’s sporting Crayolas. The fact that he’s seeking approval is a big deal. While, he’s pointing more (not as a way to ask, just kind of in general, oh look, here’s my index finger and I can use it), babbling, and speaking more, he’s generally still not associating much. The other night, we were over at Buzz and Pat’s, hanging out on the deck, when I pointed to one of their 77 cats and said Kitty, and was shocked when clear as day, he repeated the word back to me. I have a witness. And then last night, I both of us swore he repeated the word chicken, which I’m guessing it was more complex babble rather than repeating, as that’s not particularly a word that rolls off a 16 month old’s tongue. Especially one with a significant speech delay. But his babble has gone from one simple “ca” “babababa” to more complex multi-syllable sounds, with vowels and consonants. Another thing I’ve noticed is an increase in his signs. He’s always been really into signs, but he stagnated on the ones that he had learned, and now has added drink (with prompting) and cracker (which he does on his own, along with the word) to his repertoire.

P.S. I’m still a little bit hung over from all of the cosmos that were consumed that night.

I’ve been doing a lot of reading on alternative remedies and therapies, as well as reading various books on ADHD and Autism. While, the Mini does show few Autistic behaviors, I know in my heart of hearts that he’s not Autistic. Does he have attention problems? Yeah, he does, and that could very well be ADHD, as well as part of his delay. What I’m finding in my readings is quite fascinating, and I’ve developed sort of my own hypothesis to all of this Autism madness. I would go into it all here, but I’m sure quite a few people think I’ve become somewhat of a crackpot in regards to all of this, with the natural healing, along with my personal thoughts on vaccines and what have you, I’m sure that some even probably think I’m a bit of a stupid person. I don’t expect everyone to agree with what we’re doing, but if you’d like to hear what I think, I can certainly take it offline, or you know, if you actually DO want to hear my thoughts on it, I’d be happy to blog about it with the disclaimer that I won’t put up with flaming arguments or other such nonsense. I respect to agree to disagree, and respect your opinion. But I don’t believe that anything is 100% fact.

A lot of people have also asked what we’re doing in regards to the Mini’s protocol. Seriously, it’s completely benign.

Herbal balms on the spine. Four of them to be exact. Twice daily. Some are for attention and focus, some to draw the metals out of the body.

Cilantro juice. Cilantro has been discovered to have properties that draw mercury and other toxic metals out of the body. While we haven’t gotten his MMR (which for some reason still gets targeted as having Thimerosal/mercury in it, when there actually is none, however, there are trace amounts of mercury in other vaccines), he’s gotten other vaccines which have aluminum in it. We put five drops in with his half cup of pomegranate juice daily. He’s none the wiser.

And that’s pretty much it.

I’ve also had a few people say that because of my blogging about the Mini’s delay, they’re worried about their own kids who are around the same age. The only thing I can say is that if you feel that gut feeling that something is wrong, talk to your pediatrician. Your instincts are a very powerful thing. If your pediatrician says “they’re normal”, and brushes you by the wayside, ask for a second opinion. Being evaluated by early intervention is free, and if you qualify for services, is also usually free if your child shows a delay of 25% or more in any one area. I’d rather quell the nagging feeling than kick myself later, but that’s just me. Don’t let anyone tell you that you’re crazy or that your child is “normal.” You know them best. Also realize that certain behaviors may very well be normal for your child and don’t necessarily suggest a delay. All kids develop at their own rate, your mileage may vary, blah blah blah. However, if they’re not trying to communicate basic needs (i.e. maybe taking you to the fridge for a drink, or using one word to ask for something) or pointing, definitely talk to someone. Pointing is one of those “big deal” milestones that I had no idea was such a big deal. By 15-16 months, they should be able to point, be it to inquire about something, or “show you” something.

And for the love of Baby Jesus, don’t be as stupid as I was and google Autism. Or I might have to punch you.

Melissa July 14, 2008 at 12:38 pm

I’d love to hear your hypothesis on your website or you can just email it to me if you don’t post!

ginadapooh July 14, 2008 at 12:40 pm

As much as I am against most commercial cleaners (hippie freak that I am) nothing gets crayon off of walls like the Mr. Clean magic eraser.

Merrin July 14, 2008 at 12:53 pm

Nah, Google only works for heart attacks! ;-p

Lenni July 14, 2008 at 1:04 pm

Hurrah! I think its wonderful that you found something that works for you and the Mini. I’ve been meaning to comment on the last handful of blot posts. I think its hard for first-time parents to know whats something to be concerned about and whats just first-time parenting worrying. Listening to your Mama instinct is always the right way to go. Thats so exciting to see so much improvement in just a short period of time.

Also, how dapper is Mini for drinking pomegranate juice?

donna July 14, 2008 at 5:57 pm

Please do post about what you think. Anyone who gets ugly should look for that little red X in top left or right of their screen and just move along.

donna July 14, 2008 at 5:57 pm

Oh, also, do you buy the cilantro juice or do you make it? Just curious.

Empress July 14, 2008 at 7:01 pm

Yes, I heard him say Kitty loud and clear! That’s the real reason we have so many cats – just props for the visiting children! It’s not ’cause I’m crazy cat lady – it ISN’T!

P.S. Geez – how many cosmos did we actually drink?? I think it was something in the neighborhood of 77. Oh, wait – that’s how many cats we have. I’m all confused. Vodka does that to me.

Erin July 15, 2008 at 5:42 am

I’d also like to hear your thoughts on Autism.

Lisa in NJ July 15, 2008 at 5:58 am

I would love to hear your thoughts.

geeky July 15, 2008 at 7:27 am

I’m glad to hear the mini is making progress, and you sound like you feel a bit better. I say post whatever you like – it’s your blog, if they don’t like it, they can get their own f’ing blog.

Meredith July 15, 2008 at 8:07 am

I’m only just now catching up on the happenings of the last two weeks (when I didn’t have internet). First, I always want to hear what you think and have to say; it’s hard not to take the negative comments to heart, but many of us are our here just rooting for you and wanting to know how things are going (even if we don’t always agree). I hope that you keep telling us. Second, I’m so happy that you’re getting answers and seeing small signs of progress. I have to tell you that when you describe the Mini’s development, in many ways he seems to be pretty similar to Finn. Maybe I should worry too… but it’s not about me, right? Anyway, I think that you’re right that instinct is important here. Trust in yours and keep seeking answers. I hope that you continue to see improvements!

Deltus July 15, 2008 at 8:40 am

Put me in the “want to hear your thoughts on autism” camp. You can do it on your blog or offline, either way.

jesser July 15, 2008 at 8:05 pm

So interesting. Thanks much for sharing. I am very impressed by your tenacity in seeking care for your little one … you’re doing right by him in a big way. I’d also be curious to hear your thoughts on autism.

Camille July 16, 2008 at 6:17 am

Blog it! Blog it! Blog it! – its your blog and I’d totally love to hear it!

Ms. Pants July 16, 2008 at 9:04 am

Talk it out, Coochie!

Also, I’ve mentioned this in passing to PB (when I need a break from talking about my motherfucking feelings). Get on IM if you wanna chat about it. Nothing major or life altering–just stuff I found interesting cos I don’t have kids. You’ll probably be like “yeah? and?” and then my grand plan of just engaging you in meaningless whack-a-mole chattiness will be exposed. *sigh*

Tuesday July 16, 2008 at 2:00 pm

I would love to hear what you have to say about autism, ADHD and alternative medicine. I think our views are similar and I love to hear what other people have gotten from some simple research on the subjects.

Kevin Donahue July 19, 2008 at 6:21 am

I am a complete doofus when it comes to any of this, but — just my opinion — loving, involved parents make a huge difference… and y’all are light years ahead there.

Tonya July 21, 2008 at 10:07 pm

I find your experiences fascinating, and you know my situation. We are visiting a nutritionist in early August, hoping to validate some of my theories about my girl and what helps her.

Does eating cilantro provide the same benefit as the juice? We loves dat stuff over here, and who knew it could be so good for you? And do you juice it yourself?

Blog away, sista!