\m/ (metal)

by statia on July 3, 2008

Back around 1999-2000 time frame, I was pretty sick. I was never a sick person, growing up. Believe me, I tried. Anything to stay home from school. At about the age of 22, I started to get sick. I had allergies, I felt like a chronic piece of shit. When I got my job at the start up I worked for, I got to talking about my issues with one of my co-workers, who referred me to an Ayurvedic doctor. I’m a believer in alternative medicine, but I’m also by nature, a skeptical person. I went in, she took my pulse, ran back and forth in her office, methodically taking various herbs and creams off the shelf and placing them over my body with a big magnet. I thought that maybe this cute little blonde woman that referred me was some sort of serial killer and this was a part of her plan.

When the doctor was done, she turned to me and said “you have back problems don’t you?” It was extremely bizarre, because I hadn’t mentioned that anywhere in my intake form, as it wasn’t what I was there for (and yes, I did have back problems). And I expected the serial killer to pop out at any time.

I saw her for a good year or so, and started to feel better. I stopped getting sick. My allergies went away, I was finally off the various inhalers for asthma, and allergy medicines. The Meester can probably count on one hand the amount of times I’ve been sick since we’ve been together. And if you can’t see where this is going, well then watch out, there’s a wall up ahead.

Something told me to call her recently, with regards to the Mini’s issues. Even before his last appointment, there were things that were nagging at me. You start to question your sanity, and wonder if it’s really your intuition, or if you’re going crazy. But when they say that you know your child best, it’s completely true. People kept saying, “he’s fine. He’s a normal boy, he’s just a baby!” But something wasn’t fine. And I started to question my own judgment. Maybe it really was all in my head. I didn’t want people to think I was looking for problems. I’m not the type of person that wants their kid to have a problem. But even after his last series of vaccinations (which didn’t include MMR, as we’ve not even ventured into that territory), something was just off. It’s not like he just decided to check out one day, but I’ve often felt as if he was kind of slowly disappearing. He’ll often come up and try and nuzzle his head against mine, almost as if he wanted to show affection, but just couldn’t get it out. I even tried to chalk it up to him growing up and becoming a more independent toddler. But something wasn’t right. And quite frankly, I was sick and tired of feeling like I had to explain myself to people when they looked at me as if I was crazy.

We headed over to see the good doctor today. I explained to her the situation from my point of view and told her that we didn’t have any sort of official diagnosis, but that I was concerned and went through his issues. She took his pulse, ran the magnet over him and said that it was a good thing that I had gotten him in, and that I wasn’t crazy. And at this point, it will all just start to sound voodoo to most people.

Most people will think that I’m taking a very hasty approach to this, and that he’s still very young, but I’ve never been one to sit around and wait. When it comes to feeling like there’s something wrong, I’m proactive. She’s put him in a certain protocol. And of course, I’m skeptical, but my thought its, can’t hurt, might help. She didn’t steer me wrong 8 years ago. Anyway, my point to blogging this is that this is what’s working for us. I wanted to start blogging this as a way to keep track of any progress that might be made. I’m not going to dis on modern medicine or vaccines. They have their place, but, it’ll be a long time before we resume a vaccination schedule in this house.

Today is day one.

Amy July 4, 2008 at 5:41 am

I’m a big believer in alternative medicines/therapies. And I still go to traditional doctors, too. I think they both have their place, but I strongly believe that Americans have this sheep mentality where we just buy into whatever traditional doctors/government tells us without doing any research of our own. That’s a rant for a different day, though.

I’m curious – what kind of protocol will you be doing for the baby? And what does the magnet thing mean?

Tanya July 4, 2008 at 5:52 am

If you think it’s the right course, then it is, and it certainly can’t hurt. Holistic medicine has been around for thousands of years for a good reason.

And maybe she’ll help you find out that it’s something that traditional medicine can help with, like this.

MsPrufrock July 4, 2008 at 6:08 am

Good for you. Er, not in a sarcastic way, in a supportive way. Perhaps “Good for you!” is more appropriate.

I’m glad you’re doing what you feel is best for the Mini, rather than following along blindly. I look forward to hearing more about it as it goes along.

Helen July 4, 2008 at 7:01 am

What’s the protocol like, what did she think?

(Hoping for the Mini’s sake it involves cheesy tater tots, but I wager that it doesn’t.)

Lisa July 4, 2008 at 9:48 am

Good for you guys for embracing something different from the norm. I’m definitely looking forward to hearing more about it. I wouldn’t mind giving up the allergy and asthma meds.

mel July 4, 2008 at 11:06 am

I’m proud of you! You are doing what is best for your family. I’m looking forward to learning more about this at things progress.

divrchk July 4, 2008 at 5:40 pm

Very good! I agree that it seems that it can’t hurt. I’m really looking forward to your updates. Did she say what she thought that his problems were? Or are you keeping that part of it private? Thanks for blogging this…

Pete July 5, 2008 at 11:05 am

We’re in the same boat. Again.

Stay off my boat.

thalia July 5, 2008 at 12:21 pm

I too am glad you’re doing what makes sense for you, and agree it can’t hurt, might help, except for not getting him vaccinated. There is no link between vaccination and health, other than children who do get diseases like measles, for example, are at risk of serious impairment or even worse. Do what makes sense, but please think about the vaccination thing – do it on whatever schedule works for you, but do do it.

Chris July 5, 2008 at 3:46 pm

Wow! And I’m impressed! Your previous posts really did seem like the Mini was fine and I never could really tell what it is that you are worried about. But, this post? It’s different. Clearly something was/is nagging at your mother’s intuition and I’m cheering you for acting on it and doing what you think is best. I hope this course of treatment works and helps.

amishpromqueen July 5, 2008 at 3:49 pm

You’re a mom, and you follow your gut when you think something is not quite right with your child. There is absolutely nothing crazy or hasty about that.

ssfb July 5, 2008 at 9:52 pm

I’m glad youre feeling more like youre doing the right thing, you’ll always do what’s best for him. He’s a beautiful boy. Do keep us posted, I’m totally curious about what kind of things she does and what this protocol is. Best of luck to mini and family!

ssfb July 5, 2008 at 9:53 pm

jesser July 6, 2008 at 8:04 pm

Very interesting!! I am curious what you’re doing for/with him. I always think there’s merit to exploring other options. There’s more that we don’t know than we know, in my opinion, anyhow.

Deltus July 9, 2008 at 9:53 am

You go. Trust your intuition.