Not enough coffee.

by statia on June 2, 2008

The Mini started acting like an insane toddler on Saturday. Just really cranky, incorrigible and well, that’s all I’ll say because I was pretty much mumbling choice phrases under my breath. I chalked it up to teething as we had a molar break through last week, which I totally didn’t even expect to come in. His teeth have a way of taking forever to come in, to the point where I give up and forget about it and then it finally decides to sneak up on me when I least expect it. I blame my mother for this, as I’m sure that somewhere along the karmic payback she wished on me, she sneaked this in under the radar.

And when he was finally screaming to go to bed, I thought he felt a little warm, but again, I chalked it up to long sleeve pajamas, carrying on, screaming and general crankiness.

And Sunday he woke up with a fever. Probably should have seen that coming. The Mini isn’t a sick kid. He inherited my titanium immune system, and for that I’m grateful. This is his first real fever. I was always afraid that if he had a fever, I wouldn’t know about it. Even with my kick ass Mama spidey sense. Let me tell you, when your kid has a fever, you know. I never realized exactly how much heat a person could radiate. At least I passed that hurdle. I knew. I can’t really say I knew what to do, except to console him when he needed. I gave him milk as he kept asking for milk, pitifully over and over. Only to later find out that you’re apparently not supposed to give kids with a fever, any milk. I suppose I’m still in the running for parenting of the year award though, as I still refuse to let him run through the house with knives. Scissors are ok though.

The upside (albeit a very small upside) to having a sick baby, is the cuddle factor. The Mini is a busy, independent kid. He loves to run around, and does very well entertaining himself. So it’s nice when he just wants to sit in my lap and be snuggled.

The downside to having a sick baby is the lack of sleeping that’s going on in this house. I was bitch slapped back into the first month of his life, and while I didn’t mind it then, it sucked entirely this time around. Any ovary aches I previously felt, have been smoldered for the time being. And I swear I felt my uterus try to escape my body.

I’d try to be more funny, but I still smell vomit on me somewhere.

donna June 3, 2008 at 9:35 pm

It is sad, isn’t it? when your normally fiercly independent kid just wants to sit in your lap and be rocked? We’ve only had that happen one time due to sickness – a recation to the MMR vaccine – but it was heart wrenching.

Hope the Mini is feeling better soon.

Tonya June 3, 2008 at 11:45 pm

Poor little guy! At least you get your mama cuddles in (though perhaps it is small recompense for the return to sleep deprivation… which totally socks rocks.

Hope he recovers quickly.

Helen June 4, 2008 at 2:44 am

Come on over. We have teething, conjunctivitis, and ear infections now too. Bring the Mini and his signing DVD. We’ll ply the kids with Calpol/Tylenol, let them sleep on our laps, and we can put funny hats on them while they snooze.

Bring the martini glasses.

Jenn June 4, 2008 at 6:02 am

I think mine are finally over but now Dave has a fever and I don’t feel good. For us a good five hour nap one day cured them after a few days of no naps and no sleep.

I try to give them juice when they are sick, but usually they get tired of it and sign milk over and over again until I give in. As long as it doesn’t make them throw up, I don’t care as long as they are drinking.

jesser June 4, 2008 at 6:53 am

That is by far the best part of a kid being sick. The cuddles. Sometime this spring, T got sick and so I picked her up from daycare and we just cuddled for like 8 hours straight. She slept off and on and I listened to a book on tape and it was just HEAVEN. Ahh…

Hope The Mini feels better soon and you get some sleep yourself.

lfm June 4, 2008 at 10:30 am

Awww…I hope he (and you) are doing better! There’s just nothing like wearing toddler vomit, right?

Shanna June 4, 2008 at 12:37 pm

Yeah, the fevers you can usually tell. It’s when there’s an ear infection WITHOUT fever, and your kid (ahem, my daughter, I’m looking at you) doesn’t complain about it, and you don’t find out about it until it’s migrated to the other ear and plugged up her tear ducts causing disgusting yellow goop to encrust both of her eyes – that’s when you feel like Shittiest Mother of the Year.

I’ve never heard about no milk for a fever – only for congestion (since it promotes mucus production).

Valley June 4, 2008 at 2:02 pm

My little one had her first real fever a few weeks ago (103.9)! I felt so bad, it broke my heart to see her sick. I’m completely with you and the cuddling and the lack of sleep when they are sick!

Deltus June 5, 2008 at 10:20 am

Nothing worse than a sick kid in your arms that is lethargic and doesn’t want to do anything. Breaks my heart every time.

Chris Cactus June 6, 2008 at 5:11 am

Some days even Juan Valdez himself can’t come up with enough coffee. It’ll pass.